• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beachfront house sign before and after...

SignManiac

I'm okay that some are not a fan of this particular sign. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and everyone has different taste. But in the end, we must remember... I.O.A.F.S.

To understand the situation better, this is what I had to deal with. And the client was a true PITA and one of the factors in pricing this job. I was told on original contact that their sign was destroyed and need to be replaced. So I asked if they had a photo for me to go by and they said all they had was an old one, the one shown here in this thread. To my knowledge, that sign no longer existed and could not be used for the new one.

I was also told by the homeowners, they did not want the sign made like the old one, but similar was okay. I was asked to make a simple sign on two post but they wanted a carved shell or a crab, and they wanted the colors from their house which were coral pink and watermelon green. I never was on site to see where it would be going. They were doing the install. After designing what they asked for, they requested a complete change to what you see as the finished product. They even sent me the final colors you see here that I had to color match from an old Benjamin Moore color chart.

This is by no means representative of the work I typically do, and I did not state anywhere in the posts that it was a work of art that I was proud of and gloating over. I post a lot of my work so that others can learn about the different materials and tricks I use and have learned over the years to build signs with.

I wish more people would show their work but like a few said, the critics can be pretty harsh and I understand why many would rather not put up their work for review.

Me, I don't really care what anyone thinks, it's all subjective anyway. My final objective is to get paid well for my time, and if the sign can look good, all the better.

Whether you like the sign or not, I'm not ashamed that I charged a PITA client $1k for a 2-1/2' x 2-1/2' sign on two 4"x4"s. I understand what it takes to make a sign and not lose money on it.

Would I have done something different for the client if I had complete control? Hell yeah! I don't always hit a home run out of the park, and this sign is in fact boring. But sometimes we must compromise when I customer seems to think they know more about what looks good than we do. This design is pretty much the customers and in the end, I gave him what he wanted. Not something I normally do, but you get to a stage where you just want it to go away.

Unfortunately I see it happening more and more in this day of computers and MS Publisher. It's easy to be an overnight professional in this day and age.

Last edited:

John Butto

critics

This is not one of my favorite works of Van Gogh, but that does not make his other works bad for my enjoyment. It does not make me bad either for having an opinion about something. Please keep posting your works for us to see SignManiac because I do believe you have set a bar for some of us, and also, keep the ear.

Marlene

Question to the OP... did you try to sell them something in the old sign frame?

question to you. why do you feel the old frame was worth keeping? it was a crappy, homemade looking peice of junk. why not copy/paste it and show what you would have done to make that frame look good with a new sign as I am just not seeing it. maybe you have a valid point because you can see in your head a nice soultion, share it with us. I'm not being a jerk, I'd really like to see what you would have done to make this into a nice looking sign system using the old frame. to me, it looks like junk and looks like something homemade by the customer and not by a pro of any kind. I may be wrong and we all may be amazed that we missed what you saw in this.

signmeup

I'm okay that some are not a fan of this particular sign. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and everyone has different taste. But in the end, we must remember... I.O.A.F.S.
"I.O.A.F.S."... Huh? (what's that mean?)

I remember the design you submitted for this and it was quite the looker. This one's OK but it's a shame they didn't go with your original design.

The one thing I don't care for on this sign is the way the router didn't finish the ends of the cuts in the lettering with sharp angles. I see this a lot so I wanted to ask if there is a reason for this that I haven't figured out.

Signguy9311

Isn't it the customer who has to like it? Ultimately they pay for what they want. Customers start trends, not us, we do what they want and they pay for it.

HulkSmash

I for one, would have used the old posts, maybe stained them to clean them up a bit, and then made the sign here a bit bigger. The sign itself isn't bad, i think that grey just reminds me of like...welfare.. for some reason... and the text runs into each other pretty bad, and reminds me a emboss in photoshop. But in anycase, i think it gets the job done.. the execution is flawless as usual though. nice job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Marlene..... 110%. That's why I asked to see lawnboy post something.... anything worth anywhere near $1,000.

He thinks keeping that Fred Flintstone frame is better than what SignM has accomplished ?? What does that tell you ??​

No, this is not a flaming of lawnboy, but having different opinions when critiquing and using terms like... Too modern and cheap for me........ new one screams "cheap... tacky....... wouldn't have sold this to the customer
just sounds confrontational more than expressing opinions or critiquing as most know it to be.

I'm not saying there are rules or methods for critiquing by any means, but when someone such as lawnboy with no credibility whatsoever starts talking bullcrap, it's not a banding of brothers here and a gang up mentality, but a wonderment of why someone says such dumb things with authority whom has nothing to pull from in their own arsenal ?? :smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The numbers aren't even in numerical order.

You're serious, huh ??

Did you ever get off an elevator and it says suites 101 to 129 to the right and suites 130 to 146 to the left ?? Is that numerical order ??
Are some of you just looking for excuses to bash something ??
I'm surprised no one has complained about the knot on the post. Has anyone read all the information this thread has about the physical means of making and putting this sign together regardless of what you may or may not like about the design. Now suddenly, the place goes quite. Probably the vast majority of you couldn't attempt a sign of this nature and here is someone explaining in great detail how it's done and even why in some areas, and you want to nail him because you found some word to use to tear the whole thread apart about nothing.

Impact Image

You're serious, huh ??

Did you ever get off an elevator and it says suites 101 to 129 to the right and suites 130 to 146 to the left ?? Is that numerical order ??
Are some of you just looking for excuses to bash something ??
I'm surprised no one has complained about the knot on the post. Has anyone read all the information this thread has about the physical means of making and putting this sign together regardless of what you may or may not like about the design. Now suddenly, the place goes quite. Probably the vast majority of you couldn't attempt a sign of this nature and here is someone explaining in great detail how it's done and even why in some areas, and you want to nail him because you found some word to use to tear the whole thread apart about nothing.

Ummm...no. I wasn't serious at all. I was trying to inject a little humor.

Jesus Christ.

Oh...I'm not a huge fan of the new sign either. I'm sure it is rock solid and wonderfully assembled. But it looks like injection molded plastic and I don't think it fits the "theme". But I don't care. If he got a grand and made good money on it, then good for him. I would've used the old posts and put the new post money, along with texturing and painting, into my pocket.

Craig Sjoquist

What I like best is the fair price $1,000 for this worth every penny.

Next is the font used ..very readable compared to old sign and nice looking to, relaxing kinda.

As for colors well was home owner choice.
As for post I like the old ones but home owners choice.

Great sign and image and super job.

GoodPeopleFlags

Joeslawn, I think that in order for us to respect your opinion you should show some of your work. Put up or shut up. If you don't want to, that's fine, but if you're going to hand out such harsh critiques be prepared for people questioning those critiques.

JKADesigns

question to you. why do you feel the old frame was worth keeping? it was a crappy, homemade looking peice of junk. why not copy/paste it and show what you would have done to make that frame look good with a new sign as I am just not seeing it. maybe you have a valid point because you can see in your head a nice soultion, share it with us. I'm not being a jerk, I'd really like to see what you would have done to make this into a nice looking sign system using the old frame. to me, it looks like junk and looks like something homemade by the customer and not by a pro of any kind. I may be wrong and we all may be amazed that we missed what you saw in this.

what part of rocket science class did you miss? lmao. I did this in MS Paint... you could have done it in your head if you looked. I'm not set up to do signs at the moment otherwise I'd post some pics of the signs/stuff I'm making.

Attachments

• islandhouse.jpg
    islandhouse.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 99

mopar691

Customer got what he wanted. Sellers happy. Customers happy. Sounds like a win win and it looks good too.

visual800

I like it. and the numbers are probably in the order the houses are positioned.

Its bouncy, clean and precise