• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Becoming a Vegetarian...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

While researching ways to get off of blood pressure medication I stumbled onto an article about the benefits of a vegetarian diet. It stated that 85% of people on BP meds could get off them within 8 weeks by adhering to a vegetarian diet. This led to researching becoming a vegetarian, and numerous forays into articles about Paul and Linda McCartney - Paul being the foremost musical influence in my life. His late wife Linda published numerous vegetarian cookbooks as well as launching a line of frozen vegetarian meals. Apparently, you can live an incredibly healthy life by not eating meat. The added benefit of getting off BP meds is a great motivator for me, as I did not know how toxic they really are to you. Anybody on here a vegetarian? Got any tips for a successful transition? BTW... I'm going to seriously miss my grilled T-bones if I do this. Really want to dump the BP meds and lose the spare tire too.

cptcorn

adad
Awesome! I am not a vegetarian, but eat a lot of vegetarian/vegan foods.

My favorites are Indian (country) style dishes... There's an insane amount of food out there that tastes awesome, even being vegetarian. A good substitute for tofu (shit is nasty) is temp-eh. It's a less refined soybean food.

I'd stay away from any pre-packaged vegetarian foods, they're usually just as bad for you as any other meat based pre-package food. Make the stuff yourself.

zmatalucci

In all seriousness.. God Bless You if you can do it. I love chicken and steaks too much. I much prefer to run 4-5 miles per day than to eat vegan. Exercising also relieves stress and promotes a sense of well being that I don't think can be found in a tofu burger.

B Snyder

There are different causes of a high BP so I don't know if not eating meat will help you but regarding cholesterol and heart disease, look up niacin and fish oil. They'll do wonders for you.

Si Allen

My ancestors did not fight their way up the food chain for me to bvecome a veggie!

A sensible mix of meat and veggies...plus....excercise will reduce your blood pressure.

PS>>>>>>>>>>> Ol'Paint is now eating meat again!

:omg2::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::banghead:

Flame

I'll admit I'm young and fairly healthy, but the best thing I did for my health was to cut down on soda's and coffee, cut down on grains, and INCREASE my protein, aka lots and lots of meat. Steaks, lot of chicken, a bit of seafood, some pork, lots of eggs. I feel my absolute best since switching to this, and I think I would go insane on a vegan diet.

To each their own though, but if you do have BP issues then switching over might be what you need. But there are other methods too that might work if you truly are going to miss that T-bone. ;)

B Snyder

http://www.gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gersontherapy.htm

Being a true vegan is the best thing you can do for yourself without a doubt. The key is to only eat totally unproccessed foods. You can cure so much of todays ailments just by simply changing your diet. A juicer is the best thing you could get yourself for Christmas

Americans eat more of these "bad" processed foods every year, which makes it interesting that our life expectancy keeps going up too.

David Wright

You can lighten up on the meat. Watch processed foods (sodium) and alcohol. Exercise does a lot too.
Of course if you are researching this, these points must have come up often.
I just don't see the need to go vegetarian just other more influential dietary changes would do better. Then again, aging has a influence that can't be rescinded.

Pat Whatley

We're natural predators, Arlo. Animals that get eaten have eyes that face the sides....animals that do the eating have eyes that face forward.

Now....if you want to hunt down a wild tofu that's you're business but remember: Gorillas eat their own poop.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
While researching ways to get off of blood pressure medication I stumbled onto an article about the benefits of a vegetarian diet. It stated that 85% of people on BP meds could get off them within 8 weeks by adhering to a vegetarian diet. This led to researching becoming a vegetarian, and numerous forays into articles about Paul and Linda McCartney - Paul being the foremost musical influence in my life. His late wife Linda published numerous vegetarian cookbooks as well as launching a line of frozen vegetarian meals. Apparently, you can live an incredibly healthy life by not eating meat. The added benefit of getting off BP meds is a great motivator for me, as I did not know how toxic they really are to you. Anybody on here a vegetarian? Got any tips for a successful transition? BTW... I'm going to seriously miss my grilled T-bones if I do this. Really want to dump the BP meds and lose the spare tire too.

The only reason you can become a vegetarian is because you live in a society with sufficient abundance to allow you to indulge this particular perversity. Otherwise you'd be falling on anything smaller and slower than yourself and devouring it.

Regardless of the party line touted by vegetarian true believers, it's not the healthiest of diets.

I long to meet a philosophical vegetarian with type I diabetes.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

The only reason you can become a vegetarian is because you live in a society with sufficient abundance to allow you to indulge this particular perversity. Otherwise you'd be falling on anything smaller and slower than yourself and devouring it.

Regardless of the party line touted by vegetarian true believers, it's not the healthiest of diets.

I long to meet a philosophical vegetarian with type I diabetes.

Totally agree with all you said (as usual). However, I was recently given another concern when I was told by my doctor that my blood test results showed I am "pre diabetic". I am the oldest of four, and the only one not a diabetic - at least not yet. One of my younger brothers died of diabetic complications three years ago at the age of 47. Also, I want off of BP meds before they get into my manhood - if ya know what I mean. I'm told it's a given they will render you impotent! Yikes.

omgsideburns

My girlfriend has been one for eight years.. the stress of "what are we eating tonight?" is still enough to make someones blood pressure rise..