• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Been hearing about this...............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sign Shops must be way ahead of their time.... at least in thinking and business sense.

Just heard an announcement that Burger King is gonna start to have various prices for your orders, when being placed inside or at the drive-up window. So, if you order a Quarter-Pounder, a Whopper or any other sandwich, your price will be based on HOW FAST you want it.

I guess they're getting on board with the 'Rapid Turnaround' pricing, sign shops use. :munchie:

Johnny Best

If it was like sign shops they would make you put a deposit down before you pick it up.
I hate to get behind someone who thinks they are ordering French cuisine at Burger King's drive thru and take forever. The "have it myway" mentality.
Stopped going to fast food places years ago, now I'm hungry.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Just make sure to bring all your friends back in the future for a Whopper, then we'll give you the best price this time.

DerbyCitySignGuy

It was a bit of theater in favor of net neutrality. Why Burger King would have a position on this issue is a conundrum.

Why wouldn't they have a position on this issue? Burger King has a presence on the internet, of course they have a position. Their position is probably something akin to "we don't want to have to pay more money to ISPs to ensure that our digital content is seen by as many people as possible."

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Why wouldn't they have a position on this issue? Burger King has a presence on the internet, of course they have a position. Their position is probably something akin to "we don't want to have to pay more money to ISPs to ensure that our digital content is seen by as many people as possible."

Maybe they do but their act seems a mite hypocritical, they want to sell their product on their terms but the don't want some ISP or another to do the same. The speed of burger delivery seem a far piece from the speed of internet delivery. But then I've never understood protests and performance art. Those and other forms of demonstration are lost on me.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Maybe they do but their act seems a mite hypocritical, they want to sell their product on their terms but the don't want some ISP or another to do the same. The speed of burger delivery seem a far piece from the speed of internet delivery. But then I've never understood protests and performance art. Those and other forms of demonstration are lost on me.

Eating at a restaurant is a luxury, but the internet is basically a necessity in this day and age, akin to water and electricity. So you are correct that burgers and internet service aren't a great comparison. That being said, food is one of the most heavily regulated things in this country, while the internet has very little regulation aside from Net Neutrality. Nothing good will come from deregulation of the internet. If you told Burger King they could start mixing rat meat with their burgers to save money, you can believe that some (maybe most) shareholders would INSTANTLY be on board with that plan if it made them an extra buck.

I think it was just a funny (which is subjective) way to raise awareness of an issue which affects us all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean..... if they could add rat meat ?? It's already in everything we eat, including assorted mouse droppings and belly button lint. :corndog:

bob

Eating at a restaurant is a luxury, but the internet is basically a necessity in this day and age, akin to water and electricity...

A necessity? Really? How soon after your internet goes down do you start dying? If the internet is a necessity then it's only a necessity to this culture, something I hold in contempt on the best of days. Most other businesses offer a range of products, even public utilities have tiered pricing, but apparently internet providers are not to be permitted this.

bannertime

A necessity? Really? How soon after your internet goes down do you start dying? If the internet is a necessity then it's only a necessity to this culture, something I hold in contempt on the best of days. Most other businesses offer a range of products, even public utilities have tiered pricing, but apparently internet providers are not to be permitted this.

Tiered pricing for utilities is not comparable to throttled bandwidth. You'd be correct if you made the correlation between up/downlink connection speeds to possible kilowatt usage price breaks, but you didn't. The underlying issue with the repeal of NN is that, at it's core, it's anti-competition. AT&T, Spectrum, Comcast, *local ISP*, etc all offer you internet speeds and similar rates. They put in money to build their infrastructures and so, occasionally, one company becomes the only area's ISP. You pay them and you get your service. This is where the similarity stops and the anti-competition starts. AT&T decides it wants to have it's own content streaming service. Now they throttle Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and any other provider that people actually want. AT&T says here, pay for our service, we'll give a bit of a discount on your internet, and it won't be throttled. After awhile they'll say, wait, here you can have unthrottled access to Netflix for an additional cost too. Or Netflix may decide to pay AT&T a premium to get on their fast lane. This is not something we want. We don't want a creator/provider monopoly. Or in other words, we don't want monopolies.

Another example of this is, lets say Major Franchise Sign Co. pays AT&T to have all it's franchise websites full speed while all our other independent shops get throttled and customer's on AT&T can't upload artwork to us anymore. (No, this isn't like paying Google to list your add first. That's advertising. Another company advertising doesn't hinder another company's ability to still do business) As of currently, everyone should have the same opportunity when it comes to water, electric, gas, etc. MFSc can't pay my electric company to get better electricity than I do nor can the electricity company can't say "we'll give you enough electricity to run two of your machines for a few hours." Internet has become enough of a necessity that it should be offered with those same protections. The internet is a contributor to quality of life. Without it, people would die, because it's now the backbone for communication, money handling, logistics, etc.

Baz

I have been surprised and disappointed that this hasn't been a subject on here. I guess it isn't sign related. But what has/is happening has allot of consequences attached to repealing Net Neutrality. Thank you Bannertime for your post! :clapping:

bob

..merciful deletia...

The internet is a contributor to quality of life. Without it, people would die, because it's now the backbone for communication, money handling, logistics, etc...

Nonsense. Backbone? Because you might use a little Skype, do a bit of inconsequential online banking, or order something from Amazon does not make the internet the backbone of anything. The internet is a convenience, not a necessity. Dishonesty notwithstanding, an ISP should be able to run its business most anyway it wants. Just like you can run your sign business, or whatever the hell you do, anyway you want. Do pity those poor people 20 years or so ago, how did they ever manage to survive long enough to breed?

Metaphor alert
. Do not let the nose of the government camel under the flap of the tent that is your life. Here in my village people would far rather put up with the minor shenanigans of the private sector than call for any sort of government regulation. The government that governs least governs best. Read it, know it, live it, be it.

bob

Of course bob is a Libertarian.

Wrong but thank you for playing. bob isn't anything with a convenient label. The closest you could come probably would be rational anarchist but that's not a complete fit either. I'm sufficiently perverse so as to act in ways for no reason other than to confound any label placed upon me. I find it amusing to do so here in my golden years.

Be that as it may, I am consistent in my opinion that government is a necessity and at the same time inherently evil. The apparatus proves time and again the it's no better, more often worse, at running things than the private sector. That being the case government should be reduced to its one and only legitimate function, the only function that cannot be done by the private sector, and all that's attendant upon that function. What is that function? Take a guess, there might be prizes.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The internet is a convenience, not a necessity.

Except here in Australia, the entire telephone network is being torn down and turned into the "NBN" (National Broadband Network) with all phone lines migrating to VOIP.
No Internet over here = no phones, which leads to no emergency services, no business... and so on.
That being said, our government hasn't been silly enough to repeal any net neutrality legislation yet.