• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Bending aluminium composite Panels

bingo

Hi All,
question from Spain.
I am trying to bend sheets of Dibond 3.5mm at right angles to provide cladding on columns. I have milled a groove to a depth of about 1.5mm and then try to bend as per the many Youtube vids out there. Unfortunatley the sheets snap everytime. Is it necessary to heat them somewhat befor bending?
Any help appreciated.

CanuckSigns

There is a certain router bit that you need, it is a v bit but with a flat tip. You need to route through 99% of the plastic, then you should be able to easily bend it without snapping. Also make sure you are using the material with the thicker aluminum skin, the cheap stuff is basically covered in time foil and will snap very easily.

iampogo

Here's the fabrication manual. It has a section on routing for bending starting on page 20 which details the router bit.

Attachments

• Dibond-Fabrication-Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 155

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
If it is 3.5mm thick, you need to rout through 3.1mm of it.
Leave only the 0.3mm skin on the back, and maybe a hair of the core.
The vee bottom must be flat, about 2.5mm wide, not a vee point.
You can modify a vee cutter, or buy one with a flat nose.

2ny

Hi.
I use a 90degree tool with a 0,5mm tip on 3mm alubond plates.
I mill through the plastic appr. 99% as Canuksign says. That works fine for us.

Best regards
Tony