• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Benefit Banners and signage

slappy

you know the type. Benefit for so so...

I hate cancer, lost my grandmother to it, and would like to help when needed, but i don't want to do things for free every time someone has these events. I'm not trying to be or sound rude about it, but i feel like when i'm contacted, they expect a donation of free signage. (or even a gift basket from our business or gift certificate..)

so, i got asked how much for a 3x5 banner

I thought about using this stuff Kapcolor™ 2-Color Banner Material as i have a whole bunch of it here and this benefit is this coming saturday....
If they want something for almost free, is it okay to skim out on using the 14oz like i would normally be using?

How do you handle these when your approached?

Si Allen

I tell them that signs are how I earn a living and do not donate my signs.

Then I quote them full price ... because most of them are a real P I T A !

They can pay my price or look elsewhere for a donation or cheapie!

Remember ... if you do donate a sign or banner ... every charity or event will be knocking at your door!

CanuckSigns

I agree with Si Allen!

most of these events have a silent auction or door prizes, which we will generally give an item for, latley I have been giving out coupons for 1000 free business cards and it's worked out nicely, we've actually gotten a few new clients from them since they have to come into the shop to redeem the coupon.

Since most people who use business cards are business owners, we've found it's a great way to get them in the door and see what else we do. It's not like it's expensive to get 1000 cards made these days!

Jillbeans

Just use what you have in stock.
Make sure to give them a bill with the real amount you'd sell that banner for, with DONATION written underneath it.
Make sure to put your company name on the banner as well.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It could depend on how you feel about any certain organization or how well your shop is doing.

Donating is not wrong, if you feel strongly about it.

Most funerals, the people ask..... in lieu of flowers please send donation to such & such organization.

When we donate signs, we request one condition, that they not tell anyone about the arrangement. Therefore, no one will be banging on your door later saying.... you did it for so & so, so you have to do it for us. So, we never put our name on anything donated. It's an agreement done with a handshake. To me a donation is between me, the person/organization being donated to and God. No one else needs to know how I handle these kinda things.

I would not skimp on the materials, unless it's a one day affair.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
but i feel like when i'm contacted, they expect a donation of free signage

i guess my question would be, do they really want it for free or is this one of those woman feeling things....

when they call, take the info down and say i'll call you back with a price, just like any other customer.

then if they suggest they want it for free you can decide if your going to donate.

i would suggest to stop listening to the voices in your head....

Pat Whatley

Don't. Give. Away. Your. Craft.

If you believe in it enough to donate then donate cash and tell them they can use it to buy signs. Or volunteer to help at an event. Never give away what you're trying to sell, give away what somebody else does for a living.

Donating crappy stuff (my personal opinion of that banner quick stuff) is an even worse idea.

slappy

Okay, i priced it out for him.

I'm using my kapco 2 color banner material, it's kinda old stock, which really isn't wind durable btw also, but for the price, he is going to back it to plywood that he already has.... This is a one day event.
These banners i just cut and weed and put the grommets in and hand it over to the customer.. Nothing else, but a quickie $60 and hopefully another empty roll to my vinyl floor rack soon.

Thanks for the help and replies.

fresh

I have one requirement for donations.

Have you ordered and paid full price for something in the past? If so, I will try to help you out. If not, then the answer is always no.

On the flip side, there are a few organizations that I offer my services to because I believe in the cause. It is easier for me to donate a banner than it is for me to send them a check for $100. I like to donate to charity when I can.

L Town Graphics

What I have done in the past is tell them to cover the cost of materials and to leave one of their flyers so I can claim it for tax purposes. I play a lot of disc golf and one particular person runs a tournament or two every year which I will donate stickers and or shirts with my logo and contact info on them someplace. Sometimes it brings in new business and sometimes it doesn't but it helps a little come tax time