• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best drill bit for acrylic and polycarbonate?

bigben

Like the title says, what drill bit do you use for acrylic and polycarbonate? I would like to find something that will make a clear hole without using lubricant if possible.

Thanks.

Ben

Rocco G

I know that plastic suppliers sell (or at least used to) special drill bits for acrylic and polycarbonate. However we always just use a std steel drill bit and chuck it loosely. That way if the bit grabs into the plastic near the end of the hole it doesn't break the plastic. No lube, just the drill bit.

Also, I've had people tell me to use a dull drill bit for plastic instead of something brand new and very sharp. TBH, I've never put much stock in that, but I can see the point. It's similar to not chucking the bit tightly so that you won't break the plastic.

Sign Works

I use acrylic drill bits for drilling acrylic or polycarbonate.

Attachments

• Acrylic%20bit.jpg
    Acrylic%20bit.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,232

MikePro

if you use a regular drill bit, but are worried about cracking the acrylic..... run your drill in reverse. you can actually punch a clean hole thru acrylic just by the friction of the bit, and it won't catch-break the plastic.

btw, you're not going to get a clear hole. it's always white-ish. treat with some solvent on a q-tip and it should clear most of it up.

d fleming

I've always used these

I've always used these or a step bit

Attachments

• plastic bit.jpg
    plastic bit.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,159

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, I got a special drill which comes with it's own bits, just for drilling all kindsa plastic. Here you can see, someone in the shop applied too much pressure, thus breaking it. They usually break before getting too dull to use.

attachment.php

Attachments

• plastic drill.jpg
    plastic drill.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 13,422

phototec

I second using a step-bit (unibit) for drilling holes in plastic.

[video=youtube;dzYU7afKA8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzYU7afKA8Y[/video]

OADesign

I use acrylic drill bits for drilling acrylic or polycarbonate.

+1 for this.

Proper tool to do the job properly.

I like these over the step bits because once the place the point, its set. The bit wont dance around and leave scuffs around the hole (make you own joke there).

Good for when you need to put stand offs in a part but need to keep the rest of the sign surface pristine.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
+1 for this.

Proper tool to do the job properly.

I like these over the step bits because once the place the point, its set. The bit wont dance around and leave scuffs around the hole (make you own joke there).

Good for when you need to put stand offs in a part but need to keep the rest of the sign surface pristine.

A proper tool is whatever performs the task.

I've never had the step bits wander or leave scuffs (??). They work great. They also ease their way through due to the stepped sizes, rather than trying to take out all of the material at once. And they never bind. And they're really inexpensive.

I've never had the step bits wander or leave scuffs (??). They work great. They also ease their way through due to the stepped sizes, rather than trying to take out all of the material at once. And they never bind. And they're really inexpensive.

I agree. Step bits are the way to go. It's like a center drill, drill, and reamer all in one. They work fantastic on both plastic and sheet metal. The straight flute design makes a very nice hole and is less likely to grab and ruin a hole.

phototec

I agree. Step bits are the way to go. It's like a center drill, drill, and reamer all in one. They work fantastic on both plastic and sheet metal. The straight flute design makes a very nice hole and is less likely to grab and ruin a hole.

Yes, the step bit is THE RIGHT TOOL for the job drilling a hole in plastic, if you use the right step bit of the right size it never wanders, and drills a clean hole.

[video=youtube;1TmP3r60mN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmP3r60mN8[/video]

OADesign

I must politely disagree with your first statement sir. I could bang in some brads with the heel of my boot. I could cut my porterhouse with the same blade I use to butter my roll. Then I could use the same blade to tighten up the hinges on the shop door. I think you get my point.

What I meant by "scuffs" was this: The last few times I attempted to drill acrylic, the debris stuck around the bit and made circular scuff marks around the hole which I didn't like.

But I see from the number of pro posts for the step bit, its another (probably better) way to go. I will give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
A proper tool is whatever performs the task effectively.

I must politely disagree with your first statement sir. I could bang in some brads with the heel of my boot. I could cut my porterhouse with the same blade I use to butter my roll. Then I could use the same blade to tighten up the hinges on the shop door. I think you get my point.

What I meant by "scuffs" was this: The last few times I attempted to drill acrylic, the debris stuck around the bit and made circular scuff marks around the hole which I didn't like.

But I see from the number of pro posts for the step bit, its another (probably better) way to go. I will give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

Performing the task 'effectively' was implied, but I included it above so it's official.

I've never had the scuff marks, regardless of which bit I've used. But I also clean away the debris as I go.

phototec

The proof is in the pudding, or should I say video:

[video=youtube;rCSz1bWK_Ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCSz1bWK_Ug[/video]

Sign Works

For all you step bit folks, what if the acrylic is thicker than each step on the bit? The step bit is no longer "the proper tool" nor was it to begin with, the acrylic drill bit is "the proper tool" for drilling holes in acrylic, it even says it in the name.

bigben

For all you step bit folks, what if the acrylic is thicker than each step on the bit? The step bit is no longer "the proper tool" nor was it to begin with, the acrylic drill bit is "the proper tool" for drilling holes in acrylic, it even says it in the name.

good point.

Moze

Precision Sign Services

I would wager to say most of the folks in this thread that have posted or are interested in the subject, drill holes in 1/4" or 3/8" acrylic. That's the typical application I need the bits for. I use the Harbor Freight one in the attached photo on the right. It will drill through 1/4" acrylic because the steps are 1/4". If I have to drill in thicker material, I can still use this bit...as soon as the smallest portion of the bit exits the back of the material, I finish the hole by drilling from the back. In the rare and odd event I have to drill something thicker, I use a regular bit and take my time. I've drilled hundreds of holes in acrylic with these bits. I worked at a national sign company and they used these bits. But even if it works for a national sign company cranking out millions of dollars of signs every year, I guess if you say it's not "proper", well everybody better run out and buy acrylic bits. I'll swing by the sign company and let them know they've been doing it wrong all of these years.

Attachments

• image_11761.jpg
    image_11761.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,130