• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best drill bit for acrylic and polycarbonate?

OADesign

For the record, I tried using various step bits in a few scenarios that are normally problematic. The step bits worked very well. Thanks for the tips.

rjssigns

Post should have been worded as to what is the best method for making mounting/stand-off holes.

One or two pieces I agree with using step bits. They are fantastic.

Dozens or more pieces? Waterjet, CNC, or Laser and I let my supplier use the method they deem fit. This way I don't have to deal with layout, handling a bunch of pieces, breakage etc...

But I'm one guy in a small shop and have learned that it is not always a "money maker" to try and do it all yourself. YMMV

Techman

Holes in plastic require a negative rake cutting edge.

Yes the step drill works but it still is not the best tool for the job.
Just as the chop saw uses a negative rake so as not to grab,,, so does the drill designed for drilling plastic. The negative rake will not grab and pull the drill into the plastic,, which avoids the cracks and breaks.

Same goes for cutting acrylic with a power saw. Using a panel blade set backwards leaves a good edge from which to work without causing mini cracks along the cut edge.

A negative rake can be set on any drill using a grind wheel. It doesn't take much. Just about 7 degrees negative works.