• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Money Saving Tips

Jake Howard

Hi Gino,

Sorry to have upset you mate.

I still agree overall with what you have said, and I have taken it all on board. My reference to the boat and airline was just an analogy, didnt mean to offend you with it. Maybe I should keep those stories for the Olive section :)

When improving efficiency, I like to classify them into Large, Medium, Small. Then I focus on knocking off a large one, a medium one, and a small one.

An example of a large one, is our online job system that we had custom developed. This has so far been our biggest improvement to date and I had this marked as a Large One. The problem though, was it was so large, it took quite a few months to build, and in the time, I couldnt really afford to focus on any more Large projects or improvements, because I needed to dedicate a lot of time to helping the developers build and test the system. I could still knock off a few of the Medium and Small improvements in that time though, but I just didnt have the time to take on another massive improvement / project. On top of this, our web development team in India was flat out with the system, so I couldnt throw anymore technology improvements in their direction, as it would just slow the system down. There was nothing to stop me solving smaller problems though, whilst the system was being developed.

Now I know you love airline and olive analogies, so I will leave you with this. Let's say the cost of an olive is $1, and the cost of an airplane engine is $1 Million Dollars. Why would an airline company even bother wasting their time with the $1 Olive. Why don't they just focus all of their time and energy on building a new engine that is more powerful and efficient, and stop wasting their time on the $1 Olive?

Cheers

Jake

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh Jake, you didn't upset me in the slightest. I like these kinda discussions. :peace!:

Hey, I tried your 1/2 grommet idea and ya know what, it doesn't work as well as you say. Perhaps it meets your quality control level in Cor-X, but not mine. All you hafta do is wiggle it a little bit and it starts coming loose. So, for a short term use, it might get ya outta a jam as you found out in the your first time around, but to adapt such a method and make it routine sounds and seems very foolish. Use this same theory in a banner or something else which needs a little more 'oomph'.... I don't think this will fly at all. Also, ours are barely 3¢ each.

So, you spend all that time and money on streamlining a job system, when you can get one ready-made for all your needs, also sounds a little peculiar, but then ya know what the say about people like that........... :rolleyes:

Oh..... and for the record, I could care less about the airlines or their engines or their pickles or olives.

:rock-n-roll: mate..............

Yep, to save 5 hours a year and $300 a year to make an inferior product..... that just makes a lotta sense.

Jake Howard

Hi Gino,

Thanks for the response mate. I enjoy these types of discussions too, because I will learn more listening to what you say, in comparison to someone who just agrees with me.

I know I wouldn't have upset you, I just like to have a bit of fun and stir people, and thought I would throw a cheap shot your way to see if I got a bite. You saw right through it though :)

I wouldnt imagine the method would work with banners. To be honest I havent even tried it, and don't think I will bother as we just don't do enough.

With the corflutes, it all comes down to the length of the neck. The longer the neck the better, as the eyelet will curl at the end, holding it in place. If the neck isnt long enough, it won't curl and it comes out quite easily. I just went down and tested one again to make sure, and it wasn't coming out. Mind you, I do have girly fingers, because I am one of those people who works in the office and is pretty much useless when it comes to production. This probably answers a lot of your questions about me :)

Regarding the price, you yanks have it so easy. I don't know why, but in Australia, we are always paying double for everything in comparison to you guys.

Regarding the job system, I checked quite a few out, some of them were ok, but I just found they were too general, and didnt have all the features that I needed. Sure I could have bought an off the shelf product that every other sign shop has, but where is the advantage there? The way I look at it is, if all other things are pretty much equal, it is the sign shop that has the most efficient system / process that will win at the end of the day.

Do you mind if I ask what job system you are using (Hope its not something as dated as your website, like a diary :smile:) Just stirring you mate.

One ironic thing though, is that any potentials savings from the eyelets and 5 hours saved labor has probably been wiped out, when you take into consideration the amount of time I have spent on this thread discussing it with you.

Alright mate, well it is the weekend, and I am going to go and get myself an olive sandwich. I can't stand olives, but I am going to eat one anyway, just out of spite.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Jake

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're funny. I like you. Enjoy your olives. :smile:

I'm having sandwiches and chips. I like that and it suits me just fine. :munchie:

See ya Monday, Ocker.......:rock-n-roll: