• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best printer that is not an edge for White on clear

artofacks1

Has technology on the inkjet world caught up ? Is there an alternative to the Edge FX to print white ink?

Thanks,
Robert

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Has technology on the inkjet world caught up ? Is there an alternative to the Edge FX to print white ink?

Thanks,
Robert

I have been working a lot with the new UCJV from Mimaki and the white ink seems to be pretty great from what I am seeing. They have a new 30" model out also.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
UV based printers are the only way to go and the Mimaki UCJV is one that has come up a lot for roll to roll. We just purchased our demo machine and will get to play around with it in a couple weeks. If it works the way we have been told, it sounds like a great solution. Stay away from Solvent and Latex white. They just don't cut it when it comes to opacity.

artofacks1

Any chance you could post a pict of white printed on clear vinyl?

How much would you charge me to print something on clear and ship it to me? I would love to see it in person as well.

I have been working a lot with the new UCJV from Mimaki and the white ink seems to be pretty great from what I am seeing. They have a new 30" model out also.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Any chance you could post a pict of white printed on clear vinyl?

How much would you charge me to print something on clear and ship it to me? I would love to see it in person as well.

I am actually the dealer for these machines, I could get something printed for you to show you no problem. Send me a file and I will have some prints done for ya.

jfiscus

Rap Master
White on Clear from an Epson s70675. The new series should be even better, but we went for Dual-CMYK instead since we already have a printer that does white and we do way more wraps.

Attachments

• 17991393_1487970827902371_800434618083108882_o.jpg
    17991393_1487970827902371_800434618083108882_o.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 339

clarizeyale

Yes, hard to see in the daylight, but REALLY gets your attention in the right light or at night.
Kinda like the "stealth" black reflective on black cop cars.
White on 3M IJ680CR-10 from an Epson s70675. (crazy looking effect!)
Spot white and color from an Epson s70675 on 3M clear (wet application). Sorry the photos aren't the best, our installers aren't photographers.
View attachment 135202 View attachment 135203
White on Clear from an Epson s70675. The new series should be even better, but we went for Dual-CMYK instead since we already have a printer that does white and we do way more wraps.

Do you guys ever have ANY issues with scuffing? It seems that no matter what I did, I ALWAYS ended up with scuffs. I'd make sure to put the material on the take up nice and taught and always cleaned the damned thing before each use but no matter what, it would scuff. We did one job where there were no scuffs but after I sent another file to print, it scuffed immediately. This would also happen when messing with heat and what not...

Teach me your ways!!

We loved the idea of this printer and its capabilities but it just brought us (me) more frustration that really, it just sits in the corner not being used :(

jfiscus

Rap Master
I am assuming that by "scuffing" you mean head strikes. Head strikes are either caused by incorrect media profiles, humidity issues, or cheap/old media. Taping it to the take-up reel really doesn't help anything with this series of printer.

First, use a quality material. Cheap vinyl (especially the backer) is more prone to head strikes than premium material. It is also is more sensitive to environmental changes than premium materials since it is made of inferior materials.

Next, control your environment. I'm not sure what it is like there, but it always seems very humid here. We keep our printers and most of the large format medias in their own large room. We also have a large dehumidifier in that room. We have a couple easily readable temperature / humidity gauges on the walls to help us check that we are doing the best we can to control the environment. The less humidity - the better. We empty our dehumidifier 3X per day usually; I believe it holds 1.5 gallons.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct settings. Load the material (correctly, using the right pinch rollers and be sure its pulled straight) and create a new media profile. Run the media feed calibration and make sure the material is feeding correctly. Set the temperature to as low as possible for all heaters besides the post-heater, you don't really need heat to cure these inks. If all is going well you can turn the heaters up a little bit as long as you still have no issues.

I've noticed that the white ink REALLY likes to stick to itself if you give it a chance, so after printing don't place 2 rolls too close together until you get them laminated. I've also not seen any fading from the white ink from this series of printer, but I definitely recommend you using a media profile that does NOT include the orange ink.

Do you guys ever have ANY issues with scuffing? It seems that no matter what I did, I ALWAYS ended up with scuffs. I'd make sure to put the material on the take up nice and taught and always cleaned the damned thing before each use but no matter what, it would scuff. We did one job where there were no scuffs but after I sent another file to print, it scuffed immediately. This would also happen when messing with heat and what not...

Teach me your ways!!

We loved the idea of this printer and its capabilities but it just brought us (me) more frustration that really, it just sits in the corner not being used :(

clarizeyale

I am assuming that by "scuffing" you mean head strikes. Head strikes are either caused by incorrect media profiles, humidity issues, or cheap/old media. Taping it to the take-up reel really doesn't help anything with this series of printer.

First, use a quality material. Cheap vinyl (especially the backer) is more prone to head strikes than premium material. It is also is more sensitive to environmental changes than premium materials since it is made of inferior materials.

Next, control your environment. I'm not sure what it is like there, but it always seems very humid here. We keep our printers and most of the large format medias in their own large room. We also have a large dehumidifier in that room. We have a couple easily readable temperature / humidity gauges on the walls to help us check that we are doing the best we can to control the environment. The less humidity - the better. We empty our dehumidifier 3X per day usually; I believe it holds 1.5 gallons.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct settings. Load the material (correctly, using the right pinch rollers and be sure its pulled straight) and create a new media profile. Run the media feed calibration and make sure the material is feeding correctly. Set the temperature to as low as possible for all heaters besides the post-heater, you don't really need heat to cure these inks. If all is going well you can turn the heaters up a little bit as long as you still have no issues.

I've noticed that the white ink REALLY likes to stick to itself if you give it a chance, so after printing don't place 2 rolls too close together until you get them laminated. I've also not seen any fading from the white ink from this series of printer, but I definitely recommend you using a media profile that does NOT include the orange ink.

Thanks! we don't use "cheap or old" material... Like we've used avery, oracal, and the likes and they're fairly new rolls. Hmmm it makes me wonder if it is humidity then cuz yes, it does get pretty humid here (someone believed it doesn't and tried to argue with me about it.. they were definitely wrong LOL). We don't have a dehumidifier so maybe i'll bring this up to the boss.

Everything else mentioned, I've done so to me it seems to be the humidity issue. Really appreciate your response. Thanks again!

RISEgraphics

Teach me your ways!!

What printer are you using? Are your heads set to high or low while printing? Have you tried switching them to see if it helps when printing white? Are you using the edge clamps while printing?

clarizeyale

What printer are you using? Are your heads set to high or low while printing? Have you tried switching them to see if it helps when printing white? Are you using the edge clamps while printing?

Epson s70675. I think we have switched from high and low. Yes, we do use the edge clamps.

See response up regarding humidity. This seems most likely as SF is pretty humid.

It's been a loonnnnggg time since I've fired it up but I will need to try again soon. Boss is looking to sell it.