• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best RIP for HP L360

tomasimattia

i know but i wait until trial is out! Onyx is good software but caldera is better year than year, i hope Onyx develop a great new realise. in Europe hp run industrial printers run with caldera because onyx have much problems. HP latex 3000 it's not stable with onyx rip controller and many companies swtich from onyx to caldera.

Hotspur

i know but i wait until trial is out! Onyx is good software but caldera is better year than year, i hope Onyx develop a great new realise. in Europe hp run industrial printers run with caldera because onyx have much problems. HP latex 3000 it's not stable with onyx rip controller and many companies swtich from onyx to caldera.

You have to love forums!

In Europe HP sell both Onyx and Caldera equally - they run both equally in Barcelona and promote both equally - the customer chooses which Rip gets installed.

There are a few niggles with Caldera currently - as there are with Onyx. All software has the occasional bug but these two are the big hitters in Europe and run all the HP Industrial printers very well.

I have an HP3000 and have responsibility for about 15 more...most have gone with Onyx, some with Caldera - both rips work fine and no-one has switched that I know of.

Remember the 3000 is a contone printer - all the tough stuff happens onboard & all the rip does is send the file with an icc attached & is thus relatively less important with these printers with regard to how they are driven.

Thus it is impossible for the 3000 to become "unstable" when a particular rip is attached.

Please refrain from such inaccurate sweeping statements - people visit these pages to gather pertinent information and posts like these are unhelpful in that aim.

dypinc

You have to love forums!

Remember the 3000 is a contone printer - all the tough stuff happens onboard & all the rip does is send the file with an icc attached & is thus relatively less important with these printers with regard to how they are driven.

Please refrain from such inaccurate sweeping statements - people visit these pages to gather pertinent information and posts like these are unhelpful in that aim.

Talk about inaccurate statements. You have no clue what you are talking about.

The RIP sending a file with a icc attached is totally inaccurate.

There is no Color Management done on the printer, that is a the function of the RIP. That is why the RIP downloads the icc profile from the printer or has the ability to create icc profiles. What is done on a contone printer is ink limiting. Yes the L360 has the ability to create profiles but the conversion from input device to output device is done by the RIP.

tomasimattia

You have to love forums!

In Europe HP sell both Onyx and Caldera equally - they run both equally in Barcelona and promote both equally - the customer chooses which Rip gets installed.

There are a few niggles with Caldera currently - as there are with Onyx. All software has the occasional bug but these two are the big hitters in Europe and run all the HP Industrial printers very well.

I have an HP3000 and have responsibility for about 15 more...most have gone with Onyx, some with Caldera - both rips work fine and no-one has switched that I know of.

Thus it is impossible for the 3000 to become "unstable" when a particular rip is attached.

This is the information given by the retailer most important in Italy, that in fact advised caldera on most industrial printers because they had far less trouble, I would never dare to come up with something that I do not know.

deand_sai

Merchant Member
One big reason in the past to decide for RIP's was the number of profiles available from the vendor or the media supplier. This reason is obsolete because of the profiles are working with every RIP which have a driver. so the "quality" of the profiler module is not a key feature too.

We have tested and we support the following RIP's with Latex 360 (just my opinion):

FlexiPRINT - for my opinion the best driver for the Latex 360 up to now. Very easy to use. Profile management (deleting, renaming, cloning and so on) and downloading from the profile database for upload in the printer is possible directly from the software. Software synchronizes Media Type AND Media size. Possibility of up to 50 Print Queues with different presets, and presets can be saved on the fly from configured files. Editor with very comfortable possibilities to add cut contours to graphics and pictures. FlexiPRINT HP Premium Edition available for little money for the Latex 360 too, as a HP-Edition of FlexiSIGN-PRO (or a regular FlexiSIGN-PRO) too.

The reason the Flexi drivers for the HP Latex 300 are so good is because HP chose to bundle Flexi with some of the 300-series printers. So HP worked closely with SAi during the development of the 300 series printers using Flexi software. If you already have Caldera or Onyx, you'll save money by just buying the upgrade to support the 360. But if need a new RIP you can get the FlexiPRINT HP Premium Edition for only $1,295 from your HP dealer. It includes a full print-and-cut workflow.

Hotspur

You misunderstand my phrasing - of course you can't actually attach an output icc that would be impossible in this workflow - the phrase means that you build the icc only in the rip and this is the only calibration that the file has as it travels to the printer.

All the other calibrations happen on the printer - this is what a contone printer does - i.e it handles the ink restrictions and linearization etc. (thus I suggest some color management happens on the printer - these are vital steps)

On a halftone printer all of this is done in the rip and this certainly can cause the printer headaches - but on the 300 like the 300 etc most of the work is done on the printer - thus there's nothing the rip can do that will cause the printer stability issues as reported.

I'm glad you were so polite as to point out that my phrasing may be confusing to some - thank you for your help.

PS HP went for Flexi as they were prepared to give it away - Caldera and Onyx had products that were worth paying for & the accountants at HP liked the idea of "Free" better.

FrankW

@ Hotspur:

This thread is not about the Latex 3000, it is about the 360.

A 360 is a contone printer too, but the icc creation and icc storing is printer based. It is correct that the ICC will be applied to the contone file the RIP creates (not attached), but this ICC-Profile will be loaded to the printer (or will be created with the printers integrated i1, with calibration functionality on the printer itself), and will be synchronized to the RIP. No need (but of course the possibility) to do profiling in the RIP anymore.

Please refrain from mixing up printer models what leads to inaccurate sweeping statements - people visit these pages to gather pertinent information and posts like these are unhelpful in that aim. :Big Laugh

PS HP went for Flexi as they were prepared to give it away - Caldera and Onyx had products that were worth paying for ...

That is a totally stupid statement ... der is a lot of Onyx or Caldera OEM-RIP's out there too (mutoh have delivered their printers a long time with Onyx RIPCenter Mutoh Edition), and Flexi is no Freeware, HP needs to pay for it too. Of course it could be a decision based on costs because SAi had in their regular offers small budget RIP's since years (e. g. PhotoPRINT SE), but they won't do it if it won't work. Should be that Onyx and Caldera have bigger market shares with industrial printers, but the latex 310 and 330 where the software is delivered with are no industrial printers. FlexiPRINT have functionality for more than a decade which was added to Onyx in v11 just two years ago (e. g. unproportional scaling), and the handling of tiles or multiple page PDF's are still more enhanced than in Onyx (specially with FlexiPRO). And it is without a doubt the RIP what works with the highest grade of integration with the Latex 300, as it is the RIP with one of the easiest user interfaces on the market.

I will not blame Caldera or Onyx, they are nice products too, i work with both of them too, and all of them have their specific pros and cons.

deand_sai

Merchant Member
PS HP went for Flexi as they were prepared to give it away - Caldera and Onyx had products that were worth paying for & the accountants at HP liked the idea of "Free" better.

What's your source for that?

HP is competing with other printer manufacturers and was obviously looking to bundle a RIP that was easy-to-use for first-time buyers. If a print shop is already using Onyx or Caldera, they don't need a bundled RIP anyway - they will just get the driver.

Bundling the L310 and L330 with FlexiPRINT makes a lot of sense, because Flexi is very familiar among sign shops that do vinyl cutting and are looking to purchase their first printer.

The fact is, SAi is a Platinum-Level HP partner, right along with Onyx and Caldera and FlexiPRINT has the highest HP Latex driver certification (along with Onyx and Caldera). All three RIPs are worth paying for.

Robert Gruner

Best PS RIP for HP L360??? What a conundrum!

There are more than a handful of PS RIPs on todays market that will drive the L360 effectively!

Find a vendor close to you who sells, trains and supports his PS RIP...Onyx, Caldera, SAI/Flexi, ErgoSoft, or others), and BUY your RIP from him/her!