Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best RIP software for MUTOH

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by messmedia, Jul 31, 2009.

1. messmedia

messmedia Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Montenegro, Europe
    Hello, - after long time of me being quiet! :{)

So, MUTOH VJ 1304 is my probable choice now. IT REALLY HAS THE BEST PRINT QUALITY of them all!

Now, I have to choose software. My supplier is recomending 1.5K euros ONYX software, but I wanted to ask You people about it.

I am planing to purchase a GRAPHTEC cutter, FC7000 or 8000 soon, and use it to contour cut my designs.

So, is ONYX best choice for me and my needs (quality print with accurate colors, and contour cut), and what software that You use turned out as good product?

THANX for Your answers ...

Tags:
  2. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

I would take a look at Ciberprint RIP. It has quality print with accurate colors and contour cut abilities that are very easy to control. This is a very versatile RIP that is very powerful. There are a couple merchant members here that sell it. I use it with my Mutoh and could not be more satisfied with it's performance.

3. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
    I would pick Onyx or Flexi over Ciberprint any day... Onyx is very powerful with great profile generation and color reproduction.. Flexi, in my opinion, is the best countour cutting software on the market... They have it nailed on how well it performs... Mutoh has a ton of profiles for Flexi as well. Mutoh runs their printers at the shows with Flexi and fully support it....

Case

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  4. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    I bought Onyx

5. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    Onyx or....

Flexi, if you are used to Signlab or Gerber software

6. Conor Knoxx

Conor Knoxx Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Gananoque, ON
    I use Flexi too, and am very happy with print quality, as well as great contour cutting features.
    Of course, I've never used anything else, so I can't actually "compare" to anything...

Also, I have the "Flexi Print and Cut" version - not the Flexi pro - its about 40% cheaper than pro, last I looked - you just have to read through/compare to make sure you're not missing any features that would be critical to your own operation.

7. messmedia

messmedia Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Montenegro, Europe
    so, it seems it's going to be - ONYX. And the price is not that bad, considering the rest of the bunch. Also, it supports GRAPHTEC cuters, so, I think I'll be ok with it.

One curiosity, though, FLEXI is not easy to find here (Montenegro, Europe), also, couldn't find it at most major suppliers in Serbia (closest country to here). Bummer - as if, I don't really have the choice, except to use some starter software packs, with poor color control options ...

8. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    shiraz

shariz-rip.com

this is based in europe and has better print quality than flexi

9. astro8

astro8 Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Also look at Ergosoft...based in Switzerland and use it with our Epson GS6000....best RIP I've ever used.

10. Donny7833

Donny7833 Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Bluffton, SC
    I agree, Ergo PosterPrint is fantastic. Shiraz V6 is a good rip as well, I used it for a couple of years on my 2 Epson 10600s for fine art. Tons of well done print environments on the AIT website, most of them for Euro standard/available materials. Still, I wouldn't trade my Ergo RIP for any other. They have some very good down loadable print environments as well. My 2 cents.

I still have my copy of Shiraz Server Plus I would let go. It's ver 6.3, about $400 USD to upgrade to the latest ver 6.6... PM me if interested.

11. JAMEY

JAMEY Member

Sep 8, 2007
    New York
    Have you ever used Ciberprint? For the money, it's awfully hard to beat. Even Fred will tell you it's a good program.

It depends on what he has to spend too. Money is a factor in my world.

12. jens

jens Member

Jun 5, 2009
  13. jmcnicoll

jmcnicoll Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    After starting with Onyx 2 years ago we switched to the EFI colorproof rip and get much better and consistent color. Easy to make profiles for too!!!!!!

jim

14. staffordcox

staffordcox New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Please bare in mind that Shiraz v6.x DOES NOT contour cut or output to any cutters....

15. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

wasatch was the best i used.. (between Onyx, flexi, wasatch) the color was great and was feature rich. i had one roland converted to CMYKOG and it drove it beautifully

16. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    I've used Onyx, Colorburst and Wasatch in the past (+ many filmsetter RIPs).

Wasatch has come a long way, but the Colorburst is still my favorite for color reproduction. I don't think they have much support available for cutters though. At least they didn't when I was using them.