• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best shop set up for large print runs?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I do something very similar to Victor when I set up mural prints in CorelDraw 7. I just create multiple rectangles the overall size I need for the mural (Each rectangle the widest width my 54in Roland will print) Line them up in a row horizontally with each one overlapping the one next to it 1/2" or 1" whatever overlap I want. Then I "Powerclip" the ENTIRE mural Image into each rectangle and then open each rectangle to slide the mural left or right in each one till all of the images inside each rectangle match and all of the rectangles look a complete mural with nothing off or not looking correct or matching up. Then I print each rectangle. Makes it real easy if you need to go back and print one sheet if needed
I do it the same with rectangles but you don't have to powerclip them. Group the complete graphic, make your overlapped squares where you want panels, click a square, Ctrl+click art and hit the middle option on the top where you weld( I forget what it's called) and it will make 1 panel without screwing with the original or making a gigantic file.
I think it's easier to panel outside of the rip and then the panels are saved.
For long banners, we laid it on 2 5x12 tables stuck together, unroll a length, measure it, marked, rolled up on opposite end of table, unroll more, measure/mark/roll up. Use a tsquare and measure length on 1 side and mark the other with the square. Then if it gets off, it's not skewed.
For panels, why not do them 1 group at a time. Start at an end, lay the next one over to check, move the first and just go down the line? Why do you have to put all of the panels together when each panel aligns with 1 side?

CanuckSigns

I do something very similar to Victor when I set up mural prints in CorelDraw 7. I just create multiple rectangles the overall size I need for the mural (Each rectangle the widest width my 54in Roland will print) Line them up in a row horizontally with each one overlapping the one next to it 1/2" or 1" whatever overlap I want. Then I "Powerclip" the ENTIRE mural Image into each rectangle and then open each rectangle to slide the mural left or right in each one till all of the images inside each rectangle match and all of the rectangles look a complete mural with nothing off or not looking correct or matching up. Then I print each rectangle. Makes it real easy if you need to go back and print one sheet if needed
As a Corel user myself, I still prefer to let onyx handle this, Corel is very inconsistent when opening customer supplied files, lots of times Corel with shift the colours, drop random objects etc, I dont want to worry about trying to find a missing object on a 20' x 8' print.

For reprints, you can save your ripped files in onyx, and as a bonus it saves your print information as well (profile, passes, any colour adjustments you made etc)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I agree. I love the way onyx is so easy. Its also great when you need tiles at a certain width. I wouldn't trust myself to do it in AI but its nice to know the bleed procedure for other stuff. The only thing I wish onyx did was provide a tile map so on the install you have a reference.
Newest version of Onyx (21) does have tile maps.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
As a Corel user myself, I still prefer to let onyx handle this, Corel is very inconsistent when opening customer supplied files, lots of times Corel with shift the colours, drop random objects etc, I dont want to worry about trying to find a missing object on a 20' x 8' print.

For reprints, you can save your ripped files in onyx, and as a bonus it saves your print information as well (profile, passes, any colour adjustments you made etc)

Any details/links to how to save onyx RIP files Scott? Need to clear out my queue but like to keep some crucial jobs in there, you know because SOMETIMES jobs need to be reprinted lol.

Mike Perth

We process all our wallpapers through Onyx 21 by having quick sets for each media and trimming method. Wth a couple of mouse clicks the print files are tiled and cutter marks added, all in less than a minute.....quicker if you don’t open the file in Job Editor. We then print PDF tile maps out of Onyx where we’re able to add our Logo and edit if required. We couldn’t imagine doing it any other way.

I agree. I love the way onyx is so easy. Its also great when you need tiles at a certain width. I wouldn't trust myself to do it in AI but its nice to know the bleed procedure for other stuff. The only thing I wish onyx did was provide a tile map so on the install you have a reference.
Onyx 21 does provide tile maps. You have to go in and generate them, though in preflight. They are very handy!

Mike Perth

really? Can you elaborate or provide a link that elaborates? Onyx salespeople told me otherwise.
Once the file is ripped and waiting in “Ready to Print” just right click it and the “Generate Tile Map” should appear as an option. You can also generate Tile Maps once the file is printed.