• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best software for the newbies?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The merits of auto-trace have been brought up here quite a few times.
A lot of it depends on the type of work you are doing and the quality of the end result you want to present to your customer.
I don't have much use for it.
If you do a search here of the Vector Doctor & auto trace you can see what others have to say about it.

Anyway he was not really asking about that feature so its a little off topic here.

wayne k
guam usa

DSC

ADOBE, ADOBE, ADOBE, ADOBE, ADOBE,

ADOBE.

I have used Flexi, Signlab, Corel, and nothing beats the adobe products...

there is no software available that is going to be more useful to you for the gamut of products that will come across your plate.

Learn how to Illustrate! nodes nodes nodes..

Tizz

I've found Illustrator to be more user friendly than Corel. I'm not a master in illy but favour this over the others. But since Ive been using most of the adobe suite I've found it quite easy to pick up and use other vector base programs.
I'd suggest getting familiar with illustrator & photoshop for all design work, cutting is pretty straight forward. All the best.

signage

All the software is is a tool just like Snap-on vs MAC, Cornwell, etc. Did the tool make the tech or was it their ability that made them good? Now you decide which software you want to use and learn it well!

WildWestDesigns

It seems that for design more folks use Illustrator in the Sign Business and more use Corel in the Silkscreen business, I have no idea why.

In general, it seems to be used more in the apparel decorating world then Ai. The main embroidery software that I use and it handles a lot of apparel decorating methods, is directly interfaced with CorelDraw (in this case x5, so I have to stay behind the curve til this time next year).

I learned with Ai first, but I have found Corel to be much more intuitive then Ai, however, there are some features that I like more in Ai compared to Corel.

If you are trying to master vector software using the auto vectorizing feature in any of them is counter productive. The way to learn to draw properly is to do the tracing yourself.

Oh so true. And it seems like everyone that tries to get in does the auto converting functions first. Happens in embroidery and most people don't realize that it's bad embroidery. One of the main things that I hate that major companies have gone into the home market and flooded that market with cheap software that really can only auto digitize and not very well at that (none of them really do, even mine).

i usually auto trace to see how it comes out, sometimes its ok and sometimes i have to manually trace it. your right i dont think its counter productive either when it traces a clean image

I know it's getting off topic here. It is a tool that can work in certain circumstances, it's just been my experience that people use that function first before they know the basics and it's harder for them to spot where they need to do fixes or how to use that function to the best of it's ability. That's were the counter intuitive comes in, at least for me. It's a function that should be learned later, just like auto converting with regard to embroidery (which has even more limitations then power or live trace).

However, it seems to me like the OP already has the software that I would recommend. It's really just picking one and really trying to master it for your workflow. I would always keep the other one around though as there are times when you might have to open up client files that use the other program.

rjssigns

haha well im about to take some courses,

THIS^^^^^^:thumb:

You will be miles ahead of those that think they can learn it on their own.

Illustrator is my weapon of choice. Flexi is used for super quick layout of cut vinyl. I use PhotoShop to render slick effects on my vector work. It also gets used for its intended purpose of photo manipulation in conjunction with the OnOne suite.

Have fun with the classes. It was some of the most enjoyable time I ever spent anywhere.

Marlene

there is (or was) a traveling workshop that comes into a hotel, sets up a one day shop to teach Photoshop and Illy. I'm sorry I don't have more info as I went to one of these years ago and it was a lot of help as it was hands on. you also could look into your local community college or tech centers for a night class which would be a more detailed learning experience. there also are some really good books out there that come with a CD of samples from the book to try out for real time learning.

Salmoneye

It is crazy how good some of the long tutorials are on Lynda.com, I learned more from their online lessons than I ever did from a live course.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Going back to the original question: "best software for the newbies?"

Your' only a beginner once, then you're not. That status, beginner, should not dictate what software to use. Get what you're going to end up using day in and day out and deal with it, it's not rocket surgery.

The notion that you should start with entry level software, which is the real thing only castrated, and the progress up some imaginary ladder of packages until you arrive at the real thing is beyond silly. Go for the gold.

I use Corel and Flexi. I have little use for Adobe products, I simply do not like them. Unfortunately there are legions of starry-eyed students that emerge from what passes for an educational system knowing only Adobe. That's because that's what schools primarily use. While Adobe PhotoShop has a slight edge over Corel PhotoPaint, Corel Draw is far superior to Illustrator. But the actual functional differences between the packages is, for the most part, subjective. You use what you're familiar with and proclaim that to be superior to all of the others.

Ford vs. Chevrolet only with software.

rjssigns

I have to agree. Lynda.com has some really good tutorials on the basics of the software.

Maybe my college is unique and I am biased towards that way of learning and their methods.

There are no tutorials out there where you face critique of your work every week. I had to perform at a high level every week to earn my grade and be judged proficient.
I also faced Critique Week multiple times. Your portfolio was judged by all the graphics instructors plus graphic professionals brought in as guests.

After your first critique your score cards get turned in and tallied. Then comes the one-on-one where they tell you if you are cut out for the industry.

The best part of class time is you get to bounce ideas of one another, learn others styles, and professional advice is a mere raise of the hand away.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe my college is unique and I am biased towards that way of learning and their methods.

There are no tutorials out there where you face critique of your work every week. I had to perform at a high level every week to earn my grade and be judged proficient.
I also faced Critique Week multiple times. Your portfolio was judged by all the graphics instructors plus graphic professionals brought in as guests.

After your first critique your score cards get turned in and tallied. Then comes the one-on-one where they tell you if you are cut out for the industry.

The best part of class time is you get to bounce ideas of one another, learn others styles, and professional advice is a mere raise of the hand away.

That wasn't why I was suggesting lynda.com. Lynda.com is good for actually learning what this tool is, what that tool is, how to manipulate etc.

That's different then actually learning design. I took the OP as wanting to to learn the programs and it's tools and how to manipulate those tools.

You are right, when it comes to learning more about design or any specific type of use then it is better to have others to bounce those designs off of.

IGD

sorry guys been working all day haha, just now getting back on. thanks for everyone's opinion, although i think its turning in more of a debate on what is better adobe products or the rest lol, and im all for it keep em coming, all of you have answered most of my questions and everyone has been really helpfull. I appreciate it!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
i think its turning in more of a debate on what is better

Now that you have those three, continue to learn them all. I believe you'll find "must have" features in each, that the other's do not have. I currently use Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, SignLab & AutoCAD and I have strong intentions on adding a Gerber Omega layout station when some money rolls in. The Gerber demo confirmed a few other goodies I've been missing out on.

Believe me, you'll appreciate the versatility.

JB

DSC

Going back to the original question: "best software for the newbies?"

Your' only a beginner once, then you're not. That status, beginner, should not dictate what software to use. Get what you're going to end up using day in and day out and deal with it, it's not rocket surgery.

The notion that you should start with entry level software, which is the real thing only castrated, and the progress up some imaginary ladder of packages until you arrive at the real thing is beyond silly. Go for the gold.

I use Corel and Flexi. I have little use for Adobe products, I simply do not like them. Unfortunately there are legions of starry-eyed students that emerge from what passes for an educational system knowing only Adobe. That's because that's what schools primarily use. While Adobe PhotoShop has a slight edge over Corel PhotoPaint, Corel Draw is far superior to Illustrator. But the actual functional differences between the packages is, for the most part, subjective. You use what you're familiar with and proclaim that to be superior to all of the others.

Ford vs. Chevrolet only with software.

What versions do you currently have?

DSC

All the software is is a tool just like Snap-on vs MAC, Cornwell, etc. Did the tool make the tech or was it their ability that made them good? Now you decide which software you want to use and learn it well!

I disagree..

The tool definitely helps make the tech..

Software/technology makes things easier, fosters creativity through ease of use.. The less we have to concentrate on technical ability, and then are able to go straight to creative ability is when we reach that point of "art" or whatever you want to call it. .. Interface and well thought out interactive function as well as intuitiveness is the key to GREAT software..

I had to install 3 raceways today requiring 7/8" hole for the WIP and if I did not have the proper tool I would have had to think my way around it, taking more time and not having the correct capability for the job.. I knew the needs and knew how to use the tool, thus creating the next level of functionality for the install....making it neat, or fast, or whatever.. I did not have to worry about that part so it allowed me to worry about a finer detail, that ultimately makes the job better. I hope that made sense..

your example makes sense of you are arguing that people are just successful because they are that person.. certain people just succeed no matter what is up against them.. that would make sense for your analogy..but not for software specifically, or any "tool" really ..

IGD

I disagree..

The tool definitely helps make the tech..

i agree ,yes it definitely does coming from expirience, a box full of off brand basic tools isnt gonna get me near as far as the 75k i had invested in tools

sunnytimes2

throwing in a vote for illustrator and flexisign .. i use flexi for all my vinyl cutting and contour cutting and it works great. the graphics guy swears by adobe.