• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best software for the newbies?

rjssigns

That wasn't why I was suggesting lynda.com. Lynda.com is good for actually learning what this tool is, what that tool is, how to manipulate etc.

I'm not knocking Lynda tut's or your response. Sometimes I get a little excited when I try to relay my classroom experiences.(as brutal as some have been) It was a very positive time for me.
Tone and inflection doesn't travel well over the web.

IGD

Im not knocking either adobe or Corel, I have both, Yall are all more expirienced than I am, but I have found CorelDraw easiest to use, buts thats just me. I cant speak for flexi, but i plan to get a copy

WildWestDesigns

I'm not knocking Lynda tut's or your response. Sometimes I get a little excited when I try to relay my classroom experiences.(as brutal as some have been) It was a very positive time for me.
Tone and inflection doesn't travel well over the web.

I didn't think that. No worries.

signage

I disagree..

The tool definitely helps make the tech..

Software/technology makes things easier, fosters creativity through ease of use.. The less we have to concentrate on technical ability, and then are able to go straight to creative ability is when we reach that point of "art" or whatever you want to call it. .. Interface and well thought out interactive function as well as intuitiveness is the key to GREAT software..

I had to install 3 raceways today requiring 7/8" hole for the WIP and if I did not have the proper tool I would have had to think my way around it, taking more time and not having the correct capability for the job.. I knew the needs and knew how to use the tool, thus creating the next level of functionality for the install....making it neat, or fast, or whatever.. I did not have to worry about that part so it allowed me to worry about a finer detail, that ultimately makes the job better. I hope that made sense..

your example makes sense of you are arguing that people are just successful because they are that person.. certain people just succeed no matter what is up against them.. that would make sense for your analogy..but not for software specifically, or any "tool" really ..

I disagree!

I can give anyone the tools to rebuild an engine but most can not build one that will run and last!

I know guys that can fix almost anything without all the fancy tools others use, so the ability is in the person not the tools.

signage

I disagree..

i agree ,yes it definitely does coming from expirience, a box full of off brand basic tools isnt gonna get me near as far as the 75k i had invested in tools

If you don't know how to use those 75K worth of tools they wont get you far, but a basic set of tools and knowlege will get you far aslong as you know how to use them and how what you are working on operates!

Tools do not make the tech., they may make him more efficent!

IGD

I disagree..

Software/technology makes things easier, fosters creativity through ease of use.. The less we have to concentrate on technical ability, and then are able to go straight to creative ability is when we reach that point of "art" or whatever you want to call it. .. Interface and well thought out interactive function as well as intuitiveness is the key to GREAT software..

I had to install 3 raceways today requiring 7/8" hole for the WIP and if I did not have the proper tool I would have had to think my way around it, taking more time and not having the correct capability for the job.. I knew the needs and knew how to use the tool, thus creating the next level of functionality for the install....making it neat, or fast, or whatever.. I did not have to worry about that part so it allowed me to worry about a finer detail, that ultimately makes the job better. I hope that made sense..

your example makes sense of you are arguing that people are just successful because they are that person.. certain people just succeed no matter what is up against them.. that would make sense for your analogy..but not for software specifically, or any "tool" really ..

I disagree!

I can give anyone the tools to rebuild an engine but most can not build one that will run and last!

I know guys that can fix almost anything without all the fancy tools others use, so the ability is in the person not the tools.

ok this isnt true and im getting off topic, but being a previous tech i think it deserves a response....the guys may be able to make you believe you can rebuild an engine with basic tools but thats as far from the truth as ever. you need the proper tools to do the jobb the RIGHT way. and a craftsman sears tool kit is not gonna get there im sorry

signage

ok this isnt true and im getting off topic, but being a previous tech i think it deserves a response....the guys may be able to make you believe you can rebuild an engine with basic tools but thats as far from the truth as ever. you need the proper tools to do the jobb the RIGHT way. and a craftsman sears tool kit is not gonna get there im sorry

Now I see why you want to do signs!

I know guys that have been racing for years with using Craftsman tools and they have a lot of trophy to prove their knowledge!

IGD

Now I see why you want to do signs!

I know guys that have been racing for years with using Craftsman tools and they have a lot of trophy to prove their knowledge!

most the guys racing are not a tech either, and hardly touched a bolt on there own car, i cant tell you how many times ive got calls to the track because they dont know the difference between a tie rod end and a idler pulley haha but to each there own, and i didnt get out of it as a personal hobby i have atleast five toys im working on, but as a career too much stress and weather conditions that make it not worth the pay, ill never stop turning wrenches on my own toys

DSC

I disagree!

I completely agree that ability is in the person, however my point is sort of this scenario..

2 techs, same knowledge

one has access to a snap on truck loaded with all the latest and greatest tools available for the job,

the other tech has a hammer, a set of box wrenches and a flathead screwdriver..

they have to rebuild an engine.

you can take it from there..

WildWestDesigns

I completely agree that ability is in the person, however my point is sort of this scenario..

2 techs, same knowledge

one has access to a snap on truck loaded with all the latest and greatest tools available for the job,

the other tech has a hammer, a set of box wrenches and a flathead screwdriver..

they have to rebuild an engine.

you can take it from there..

That's the thing right there. That really is.

I personally, using my own tools, taking a 6.0 DRW from a 325 HP (at the flywheel) to 508 HP on all four rear wheels with basic tools. Granted it had to be done with cab on, but it still got done. I might have 75k invested in a few things, but in automotive tools it is not. I don't even run the $7,000 IDS (at least that's what it was last time I checked a few years ago), just the ~$400 AutoEnginuity.

However, to get back to the software. I'm unaware of any "levels" of Ai or Draw along the lines of "Beginner", "Intermediate", and "Advanced". So that really is a moot point, unless Adobe and Corel are changing some things that I don't know about, which is possible.

However, as to rather or not the "beginner" level is castrated or not, really depends on the software and your knowledge. For instance, the $2k entry level embroidery software can do everything that the $15k "advanced" version of the software can. Less automation mind you, requires more from the user to be able to get it to do what needs to be done, but it can be done. Sometimes even with the $15k version it still has to be done "manually" due to it's limitations.

To do it "manually" is easier if you learned things when there was less automation or less trust in automation. Hell, I still put in connector stitches manually that can easily be avoided by just changing start/end points of the two objects that I'm connecting in some instances (not all, but probably more often then not I can). I'm just quicker with that method, because I don't need to think about it.

Which is why I'm surprised bob is saying "go for the gold", as he usually is against automation and more of the convenience features.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I'm using the "advanced" version of the embroidery program. Due to the automation, I'm able to be more efficient. Although, that is tricky thing though. You do something often enough, you can get efficient even doing things manually or just in general the "longer way". However, the same quality output can be achieved with the entry level software, in this instance, because the stitch processor "engine" is the same and the entry level software has basic tools that allow the user to do everything manually and/or semi-manually. Just as long as they know what they are doing.

IGD

i downloaded the inkscape program , and been playing around with it and it is badass especially because it was free. vector tracing on there is better than corel and illustrator in my opinion

i downloaded the inkscape program , and been playing around with it and it is badass especially because it was free. vector tracing on there is better than corel and illustrator in my opinion

Yep. Flawless. Another great open source program is Open Office to replace Microsoft Office and similar office programs. We do all of our invoicing and spreadsheets with it.

WildWestDesigns

Yep. Flawless. Another great open source program is Open Office to replace Microsoft Office and similar office programs. We do all of our invoicing and spreadsheets with it.

I actually prefer LibreOffice to Open Office. It is also open source. Got hooked on it due to the Dell computer having Linux on it.

IGD

yea it really is, crazy how good it does the job!! i just did like some pretty detailed images to see what it can do and so far its dead on! and thanks ill look into the open office. Man i love inkscape now lol

IGD

Best tool? A B.F.A. in Graphic Design from a brick n' mortar university. See you in 4 ;).

I have a graphic designer friend in school who handles the hard stuff for me so Im not looking to go to another 4 yrs in school, ill stick to online tutorials and and self teaching, seems to be working just fine