• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best tool/method for cut vinyl and rivets...

Tony Rome

Hey just wondering what some of your methods are for applying cut vinyl over rivets on a box truck.
I usually use a torch and a Rolle Pro, but that is for wrap vinyl.
Is there something better for cut vinyl?
Is the Torpedo Rivet tool better?
Thanks!

WrapperX

If the Rivets come off I like to remove them for doing cut vinyl but this isn't always an option. I have used the rolle pro on cut vinyl around rivets and it does the same trick as it does when using sheets of vinyl. I think it is the best tool for rivets on any application type.
The Torpedo Tool is a completely useless item. I have one, have used it and it is/was a waste of time and money. Thankfully it wasn't that expensive so it wasn't a large waste. Last but not least a good technique using the old faithful rivet brush will work as well.

Basically you want to use what you're comfortable with and what you think gives the best result. Persoanlly I like the Rolle Pro cause it's quick and very hard to screw up.

HulkSmash

If the Rivets come off I like to remove them for doing cut vinyl but this isn't always an option. I have used the rolle pro on cut vinyl around rivets and it does the same trick as it does when using sheets of vinyl. I think it is the best tool for rivets on any application type.
The Torpedo Tool is a completely useless item. I have one, have used it and it is/was a waste of time and money. Thankfully it wasn't that expensive so it wasn't a large waste. Last but not least a good technique using the old faithful rivet brush will work as well.

Basically you want to use what you're comfortable with and what you think gives the best result. Persoanlly I like the Rolle Pro cause it's quick and very hard to screw up.

he summed it up.

jc1cell

Must say that rolle pro is the best. At first I couldn't get the vinyl over the rivet completely flush, but after figuring the amount of heat to use....BAM!!!! There it was, nice clean rivet.

Love the rolle pro + torch or heat gun.

jc

Must say that rolle pro is the best. At first I couldn't get the vinyl over the rivet completely flush, but after figuring the amount of heat to use....BAM!!!! There it was, nice clean rivet.

Love the rolle pro + torch or heat gun.

jc

what kinda heat do you use with the rollapro??

jc1cell

At first I was using your run of the mill heat gun. Worked well but had to spend more time than I wanted over the rivets to get them nice and sharp. I decided to go with a torch next, rather than buying the more expensive heat guns.

Truth be told, I charred some vinyl when applying the rivets because I didn't know how long to keep them over the rivets. I was either too long or not long enough. Once I got that down it was a piece of cake. But that's something each individual will have to figure out. Now I feel comfortable enough to use the torch.

I will be buying a higher end heat gun with temperature reading, as well as a surface temp reader for post heating purposes.

cheers,
jc

WrapperX

i heard the "ideal" temp to heat up is approx 180-200c is that about right?

Yes - however you can't have a torch or heat gun in one hand, a IR Temp. gun in the other and in the third hand your rivet tool - unless you have some sort of secret that no one knows about :omg: - The temp will drop the minute you pull the heat off so the time it takes to set down one of the tools to pick up your rivet tool the vinyl will have cooled already. My advice is to take a scrap piece of material or cut vinyl and practice using it on a line of rivets. Get used to the amount of heat you want to put on it and just practice. You'll figure it out real quick how long of a flame burst you will need to heat it properly. You'll notice how the vinyl looks when its at a correct range of temp. And soon enough you'll be ready to blow through a 60' Semi with a line of rivets every 20"!

Tony Rome

Yes - however you can't have a torch or heat gun in one hand, a IR Temp. gun in the other and in the third hand your rivet tool - unless you have some sort of secret that no one knows about :omg: - The temp will drop the minute you pull the heat off so the time it takes to set down one of the tools to pick up your rivet tool the vinyl will have cooled already. My advice is to take a scrap piece of material or cut vinyl and practice using it on a line of rivets. Get used to the amount of heat you want to put on it and just practice. You'll figure it out real quick how long of a flame burst you will need to heat it properly. You'll notice how the vinyl looks when its at a correct range of temp. And soon enough you'll be ready to blow through a 60' Semi with a line of rivets every 20"!
hahaha, I wish I knew that secret.
Thanks everybody.
I just got another propane torch and just ordered rolle pro.
Found a link to the video.
http://rollepro.com/video.php
THANKS AGAIN!

Jillbeans

I use a regular 3M gold squeegee and a regular hair dryer.
No burning of either myself or the vinyl and it does work.
(this is for cut vynull not wraps)
Love....Jill