• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best Vinyl and Lam for lots of Direct Sun light

Hey I am wondering what the best uv lam and vinyl is for a window graphic that is in direct sunlight for most of the day? what do people suggest using? 3M - IJ ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Arlon 3420 would last a good 4-5 years in those conditions. We have a large sign that faces south in Denver so it gets blasted with sunlight pretty much all day. It started cracking and discoloring at about the 4.5 year mark. The 3220 would resist cracking more and may have a longer UV protection value but I'm not sure.

bannertime

Arlon 3420 would last a good 4-5 years in those conditions. We have a large sign that faces south in Denver so it gets blasted with sunlight pretty much all day. It started cracking and discoloring at about the 4.5 year mark. The 3220 would resist cracking more and may have a longer UV protection value but I'm not sure.

No to hijack the thread, but I take it you're a fan of Arlon? What print material from them would you use? We've got a supplier trying to push some of their products. Specifically the 4600lx to replace 3M 40c. I use their cast cut vinyls, but not their print.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
No to hijack the thread, but I take it you're a fan of Arlon? What print material from them would you use? We've got a supplier trying to push some of their products. Specifically the 4600lx to replace 3M 40c. I use their cast cut vinyls, but not their print.

We are Arlon dealers but also sell Oracal and FDC. My customers really like the 4600lx because it is similar to the 40c but less expensive. It does have a shorter life span according to the specs however. The 3M 40c states it is a 7 year film where the 4600lx is a 5 year. It's worth a shot if you are looking to save.

I have used the arlon 3420 before but it hasn't been outside for to long to know the full results but if you say its worth it I will take your word for it. Our supplier also suggested briteline laminate which we have been using. Any thoughts on that material?

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have used the arlon 3420 before but it hasn't been outside for to long to know the full results but if you say its worth it I will take your word for it. Our supplier also suggested briteline laminate which we have been using. Any thoughts on that material?

Not a fan of the Briteline laminate. It seems to shrink up fairly quickly.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Specifically the UV Lam? They have also come out with a cast UV Lam. Wonder how it's going to do.
I've not used that.. it's been a few years since I've used Briteline so hopefully the cast formulation is a lot better. I'm not even sure they offered a cast when we were using it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
My opinion but the best lam is either going to be 3M 8528 followed by 3M 8548G. They seem to have the highest UV and acid dew resistance of any out there with essentially the only horizontal surface warranty as well (only a year or two but better than zero). The 8528 is particularly expensive while the 8548G is much more reasonable but still not dirt cheap. That being said, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. We have 35' city buses that are fully wrapped and cook outdoors in the brutal SC sun year round going on 5 years which we wrapped with 180CV3 with 8548G lam and they still look very good. We are actually about to start bringing them in to strip and re-wrap. That is the biggest key selling point we still defend on 3M. I know for a fact that it will remove very cleanly even after this amount of time. Sure it cost the client a bit more up front but its going to save them a LOT more on the removal than if we had used something that would be a bear to remove.