• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for temporary museum wall wraps.

CC-CMYK

I'm taking on a big client for our small print shop. The client is a large museum that gets temporary wall wraps for each of their exhibitions that last 3 or 4 months.

I'd like to know what's the best vinyl and laminates to use on their walls that will produce the least amount of damage when removed and will reliably stick for the time needed.

I've been using 3m 40c calendar vinyl with 8510m laminate for most wall wraps. I was also considering using 3m ultra Matt cast laminate over 40c. Has anyone done this? Is it ok to use cast laminate over calendar vinyl?

Also, I'd like if someone can go through best practices on install procedures for museum walls. I know museums often use more expensive paints that sometime repel vinyl.

Last edited:

visual800

have you also considered banners with hems but no grommets. Since you mentioned ease of removal. The price is way cheaper to produce and can be placed very tight against the wall. just throwing that out there

Connie Fry

I am doing a lot of wallpaper with phototex. It doesn't damage the wall underneath - but needs to be prepped with an alcohol wash and the paint needs to have cured at least a month. I use the phototex OPAS and love it although it is a bit pricey.
I'm taking on a big client for our small print shop. The client is a large museum that gets temporary wall wraps for each of their exhibitions that last 3 or 4 months.

I'd like to know what's the best vinyl and laminates to use on their walls that will produce the least amount of damage when removed and will reliably stick for the time needed.

I've been using 3m 40c calendar vinyl with 8510m laminate for most wall wraps. I was also considering using 3m ultra Matt cast laminate over 40c. Has anyone done this? Is it ok to use cast laminate over calendar vinyl?

Also, I'd like if someone can go through best practices on install procedures for museum walls. I know museums often use more expensive paints that sometime repel vinyl.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I am doing a lot of wallpaper with phototex. It doesn't damage the wall underneath - but needs to be prepped with an alcohol wash and the paint needs to have cured at least a month. I use the phototex OPAS and love it although it is a bit pricey.
Our shop used the OPAS for a job about six months ago, and it was a nightmare. We had issues with the media curling, weird coloring due to coating issues, problems with it skewing- like I said, a nightmare. And the sample roll they sent was so short, there was no way to flag those issues ahead of time.
Damned shame, too, because it seems like a nice alternative to wallcoverings that requires a wallpaper-type glue be applied for installation.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
You might need to get some vinyl and test. My go to brand is Arlon. They have a removable calendared that is nice. I'm not sure if it will take the paint off over a 3-4 month time period. That's why I say you might want to test it on a wall in the museum first.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Our shop used the OPAS for a job about six months ago, and it was a nightmare. We had issues with the media curling, weird coloring due to coating issues, problems with it skewing- like I said, a nightmare. And the sample roll they sent was so short, there was no way to flag those issues ahead of time.
Damned shame, too, because it seems like a nice alternative to wallcoverings that requires a wallpaper-type glue be applied for installation.
You guys should try WallTux or Fabritac, they both are similar to Phototex but are better in different ways. Both are more cost effective too and the roll lengths are typically more accurate.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I do my adhesive 7 mil polyester fabric for removable and repositionable applications. 60"x100' is only $300

C

ColoPrinthead

I suggest Avery 2611, I have removed it with ease several times after a more than 2 years. Stay away from Sihl Quickstick, it sucks (learned the hard way after doing a 10x20ft wall mural).

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

40c would be fine. 35c would work too. Key is to be able to test the paint before deciding what to use. And laminate isn't necessary for a wall wrap...it makes it thicker and more prone to lifting at the top. Especially don't need to laminate for a short term job like this.

eahicks

I'm printing a wall wrap right now. I use mostly General Formulations 226. Have had great luck with it so far. Is a little stiffer so installing, even with one person, is pretty easy. No stretching and the finish is fairly matte.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm printing a wall wrap right now. I use mostly General Formulations 226. Have had great luck with it so far. Is a little stiffer so installing, even with one person, is pretty easy. No stretching and the finish is fairly matte.

That is great material, mine is actually a little better though. Same specs and adhesive, but my rolls are 54"x150' for $250 vs. 54"x100' that is probably more than $250 right?

eahicks

That is great material, mine is actually a little better though. Same specs and adhesive, but my rolls are 54"x150' for $250 vs. 54"x100' that is probably more than $250 right?
I'm getting it less than $250. What exactly is better about yours?
If it's better and 50' longer, I'd be willing to try it. PM me some info and I'll try to remember to set up an account and order a roll.

MF Matthew

"Give me PRINTING or give me DEATH"

I use PhotoTex for temporary walls and understand the dilemma you went through. I did a little research because I was having the same issues and had another wall wrap coming up. Now, I use HP Latex machines, so not sure if this could be your issue. First there are two types of PhotoTex you can purchase. One is basic PhotoTex and the other, O series, is good for overlapping. Since we had to overlap, we went with the O series. Next was the profiling; there was a lot of issues with trying to get colors correct, and low and behold, PhotoTex came up with a new profile, to which I downloaded and tested. It came out beautiful with the perfect curing temp.

Certified%20for%20hp%20Latex_Classification.png

Opaque/Block Out (OPA) & (OPAS)

depps74

RadGraphix is great. all my clients are museums and its perfect for short term. Grimco sells it. It also has a better bright white color, 3M has that grey adhesive side, which makes their white dull and shitty looking IMO

d

Melks

I have had success with Avery 2611 in the past as a lower tack temp wall film. In my experience temporary wall films can be tricky due to factors like the type of paint used and texture of the wall. Nothing worse then a failing wall graphic. I use 3M 40C with 8510 over-laminate for the majority of my wall wraps and try to stay away from "temporary wall wraps". I always tell my customers that I can not guarantee the finish of the walls when its time to remove the film. The longer the film stays on the wall often the stronger the tack. Be prepared to have them refinished. IJ35C works well too, but this is considered more of a permanent film and I don't think I would recommend this as a temp wall film. Just speaking from my experiences...