• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to hang a 4x8 Acrylic Sign?

ABPGraphics

Recently we had a customer that ordered a large 4x8 acrylic sign with cut vinyl letters so we made it and delivered it and the client was under the impression we were going to hang it for them as well. It was a big client so we want to keep them happy. So to get to the point, what's the best way to hang it? It's a corrugated aluminum building and the acrylic is 1/4" thick.

Mosh

corrugated aluminum building

That would be an expensing building...I would have an extruded aluminum frame and
slide the plastic into it. We never use acylic anymore, only lexan. You can't screw the plastic on as the plastic will exspand and contract with heat and break (acylic break real easily, why we don't use it.)

Good luck!

gnemmas

Experience dictates that when customer ask for acrylic sign, we have to ask them where is it going & how is it going to be mounted. You do know that acrylic break easily, has to be mounted with retaining bracket.

In your case, if you had ask those questions, you wouldn't use acrylic, and should recommend .063 aluminum instead, and installation would be simple.

It might be cheaper still to re-do with the aluminum.

ABPGraphics

Yes this sign was suppose to hang inside for a internet cafe - but now it is going to a completely different location and now they want it outside. I would have never done acrylic outside especially that size. Is this frame system your talking about the best route? could I make my own?

Techman

This is a change order.
They changed the parameters. So, it is up to them to pay for that. Now they want it outside. They pay for that.

ABPGraphics

Unfortunately they want it hung by friday........hmmmmm - I may just have to change material completely and redo.....ugh and yes THEY WILL PAY

petrosgraphics

jills idea is best... signcomp has all sorts of choices... you may not get it in time, just let

the customer know... he made the changes not you... the building will expand and

contract with the temp. wood will work for a while... do it right and get some alum.

runners or make some up yourself, if you have a sheet metal brake....