• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to produce this?

michsanford

Do you have white ink on your flatbed? You could try a partial white fill to simulate the frosted effect. I'd suggest printing samples with a few different percentages to see what looks the best.
I do have white, but am unsure how to lay percentages of white. I know I can do that on my latex, but I'm not sure about the flatbed.

2B

like the others have said, plotter vinyl applied to the second surface is the best option.
Otherwise, it will be VERY $$$$ and plenty of testing to get what they want.

bottom line what you showed was NOT done by a flatbed printer

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
noted, you will NOT get that look with everything on 2nd surface. ....there will no longer be that drop shadow-effect from having vinyl on face of plexi, being cast onto the frosted layer 1/4-1/2" behind it.
True, and the shadow adds quite a bit to the look imo. I'd print reverse on clear, apply that to pc 1, apply etch to pc 2, then make a sandwich - etch,plex,clear,plex.

ams

After you mask it and sandblast it, wash it and use an acrylic bonding paint to paint it on.

SignosaurusRex

If your customer wants to tell you how to do your job (despite professional advice) all while expecting the final product as they wish, Fine ...make them pay the big $$!
It's called... 'Feeding on the diseases of the Wealthy' or 'Tax on Stupidity and Arrogance'... which ever the case may be.

Mask and paint the lettering or else screen print it.
Mask for the frost. You can use either a spray can 'Glass Frost' which many craft/hobby shops stock, spray with Matt Clear or you can mix some Calcium Carbonate Powder or Flatting agent into a quality clear and spray, screen or roll coat.

If you need to run a few tests... make it all billable.

....Otherwise, send them down the road.

visual800

Send them packing. Dont show me a picture of something you want but changing the properties on it. All this blasting, acid etching and other BS is alot of crap to to go thru for one sign. You guys are going to have to learn to cut thru the BS and just say no to someone that wants these fantasy signs.

printhog

i like the idea of acid etching over the black second surface vinyl.. gets a better edge and prevents that tiny air line between the vinyl layers that can happen occasionally.. But i agree the image is a first surface second surface build.

Maybe you second surface letter a .125" acrylic sheet, then bond it with optic clear water thin silicone (Buy Solaris® Clear Silicone Encapsulating Rubber from Reynolds Advanced Materials) onto another second surface sheet decorated with the etch, trim it all out and you're done.

Bly

Easy if you have white. Print the black lettering with a percentage white bg to simulate frost.

Superior_Adam

Depending on your rip software you can print a percentage of white. We use Fiery with our EFI Printers and can obtain a 10% white which gives the etch look. You can play with the percentage to get the look you are going for. Everything prints second surface and put the white on color. In Illustrator put a 100% white behind the lettering and make a second box for the 10% white.

ikarasu

We just did a couple signs exactly like this. We printed on the back in reverse, then applied frosted vinyl to it.

They dont want customers to pick at it? Front piece will be glass reverse printed, or applied vinyl if you'd rather. Cut a second piece of thin plexi, or whatever you want. thats about a quarter, or half inch shorter all around (Same as what it looks like in your picture), frost it.. and attach it to the back of the glass with the standoffs. Then the customer can't pick at it.. and it'll give it a slight shadowing look.

We did one for a hospital just like that. Reverse cut vinyl / reverse print clear... Middle piece was frosted vinyl on thin plexi, Then back was the same thing. Looked great, and nothing could be picked at.Making sure everything was perfectly aligned on both sides so there was no shadow was a bit of a pain... But since yours is just printed on one side, that wont be a problem

If they don't like this idea, which solves all their problems... Tell them you can't help them. It's not worth it for such a small sign, and their expectations are too high.

Attachments

• 20171222_104615.jpg
    20171222_104615.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 99