• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to put Mutoh to sleep overnight

trakers

VJ-1304

What is the best strategy to put it to bed when leaving it overnight?

Is it best to remove the media and leave the pressure roller arm in the up position or to leave some media in with the arm in the down position?

Also, is there a way to get it to sleep right away? What I mean is it is set to sleep automatically in 2 hours after the last print. If I print up to closing time can I force it to go to sleep when I leave the shop a few minutes later?

I don't see any sense in letting the fan and heaters run for 2 hours after closing for nothing.

Pro Image

Rock and give it a warm glass of milk.........that should do it...........:0)

Sorry I can't help you any..............

Replicator

If it's like my Roland, I leave media loaded and the printer on at all times so the printer can go through self cleaning cycles . . .

When it's not in cleaning mode it puts itself to sleep, and then it wakes itself up to go through the next cycle, and so . . .

Compilla

Check / Change the printer's diaper, if necessary.

Soothe the Printer

Telling a story in a soothing, monotone voice

Put on some soothing music. This could be slow, quiet lullabies, classical music that your Printer likes or just any soothing music. Make sure it is not loud or it will keep your printer awake.

Turn off the main lights in your printer's bedroom.

LOL

* Set the timer and then select Start. That sets Immediately your baby in sleep mode.

rambo555

I have 2 Mutohs. I pretty much do a self cleaning and then let it fall asleep. I open the latch or remove my media. I have a nylon sheet I put over my machine to keep the machine clean. If I'm going to leave for a few days, I turn on the automatic clean/sleep feature.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Sleeping? Nonsense, I turn my printer off when I'm not using it. I've been doing so for years. I keep it clean and I have few if any problems and none of the the vast litany of complaints that constantly appear in these waters.

Stealth Ryder

Unless you are not going to be there the next just turn it off. if you are going to be gone for a day or more set the auto-clean to 12 hours.

Techman

I turn off my printer for days at a time. Sometimes it sits for a week or two or three...

Never have a problem restarting.

P

ProWraps™

press menu. down. down. down. down. down. until you see sleep mode. press enter or right button. then select sleep now. make sure the head is down so you dont dry up your print head.

printer will sleep immediately. heaters and fans will turn off instantly. when ready to print, press enter to wake back up.

contrary to what bob does, mutoh actually recommends you DO NOT turn your printer off, rather leave it on.

cgsigns_jamie

If it's like my Roland, I leave media loaded and the printer on at all times so the printer can go through self cleaning cycles . . .

When it's not in cleaning mode it puts itself to sleep, and then it wakes itself up to go through the next cycle, and so . . .

Rep if the VersaCamm is similar to the SolJet you can turn off the power with the button on the front and it will still come on every 24 hours to do it's little cleaning cycle. Just keep the main power "switch" in the ON position.

I always unload the machine when I'm done. I've always worried about flat spots developing on the rollers is they were left down for an extended period of time

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
p...
contrary to what bob does, mutoh actually recommends you DO NOT turn your printer off, rather leave it on.

Part of that is because virtually all printer manufacturers view their product as ink vending machines. I know this because I used to play on that side of the fence. I choose not to participate.

trakers

They had my machine set to clean every two hours. It used 30% of the carts over the weekend. It is now set to 12 hour clean and sounds like I could safely even up that time.

I had an extensive conversation with a senior Mutoh tech yesterday and he said the 1304 is good about not losing nozzles. He suggested a long between time cleanings and also putting in Econo clean mode. If I experience nozzle drop out, shorten the clean time a bit.

Both my vendor and Mutoh did almost insist on keeping the printer on but sleeping at all times when not in use. I am uncomfortable with that due to the weather around here, but I have the Mutoh 2 year warranty and also full replacement with my business insurance.

Thank you for all the good input.

I agree about the ink vending comment. My biggest question is what is the vendor markup on an ink cart? You would guess it to be very high, yet they all sell them for $67 as far as I can tell.

With our low volume I don’t have a real issue with using OEM ink (And have to for the Mutoh warranty) but it pisses me off if they are just having my shoot ink through for the sake of having to buy more.

P

ProWraps™

well, the answer to that and all the ink related cost complaints, is to print. hell we print 8 hours a day. if one hour later it cleans itself, only to do it again, then so what. it takes money to make money. if ink costs are an issue or factor in your business, then digital printing isnt for you.

LenXIII

Well I have been turning my machine off every night. I have had some issues with the machine, but as far as I can tell none are due to head or ink related issues. Also, the machine was kept in a STORAGE UNIT before I bought it by the previous owner. It was a regular outside unit, no climate control, and it was covered in dust. I bought it, drove it 1400 miles, plugged it in, did a "normal" clean and then a head test. All nozzles but 1 black printed perfect, but to this day that nozzle is still out. Machine was probably off for 4-5 months without a single cleaning and the heads and inks were fine... So what is the purpose of leaving a machine on to garble ink??

gnemmas

We are in digital print business, we do watch for ink cost. We are talking about WASTE. I don't mind putting extra $500-$1000/mo in my pocket, than down the drain or to Mutoh.

Why do you think they come out with the "Dumb Chip" concept? To protect us? To make the printer run better?