• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to rename this sign...for the third time in 2-3 years

JBurton

Signtologist
Maybe use standoffs
This sounds good, you could get deep/tall enough standoffs to actually clear the stonework and have a rectangular panel with very little showing.
As far as vinyl sticking to the paint, just bring a sanding block or foam sanding pad, rough it up, and clean with alcohol. It should lay over it with no issues.

Stacey K

I like making signs
OK - she called me Friday night and again this morning because I'm giving the second quote - supposedly. I called and asked her what the first company was doing. They are cutting a signboard to fit around the bricks which must have been very expensive that's why they called me. I quoted for 2 signboards slightly larger than the red outline with customer to either remove spray paint around boarder or mask off and repaint. If they want to be cheap then they can do the sh*t work in 20/30 degrees. They want to "keep it local" but didn't call me first so it's more about price than keeping it local. I'm not going to freeze my a*s off to save them a buck, plenty of other work sitting here to do.

Signarama Jockey

Original sign is vinyl on 3mm ACM, I made 2 boards and they installed the boards then as you can see they put bricks over the top of the vinyl/board.

2nd time, I did as many of you said and simply placed a new vinyl decal over the old logo, with a red outline as the edge - worked like a charm!

3rd time, pizza place is back under a new name. They kicked out the Mexican place and spray painted over the name directly onto the vinyl to cover up Tabascos. It's the worst cover-up job I've ever seen, the overspray is almost on the bricks.

What is the best option? I'm thinking to make a sign board for each side? But the spray paint is past the red line, almost on the bricks so maybe add some vinyl on the edges and cut around the bricks then add the sign board on top slightly larger than the red outline?

I'm in Wisconsin and they need it done by Feb 28. Of course they have known since December and it was just 50 this week they waited until today to call. Forecast is 20's-low 30's going forward.
I've run into similar situations with those monument signs where irregular brick makes perfect placement tricky. One time we had the install guy out there with a saw shaping a panel on site; he wasn't happy and it wasn't our finest work. If you're abandoning the idea of cleaning the sign, or rehabbing it so you can place new vinyl on the existing panel, then replacing it is the only option, right?

The last time I had to do this, we just dropped some 2x4s onto the sign face and screwed them deep into the sign (we were installing a HDU sign, not an ACM panel, but the principle is sound). You'll have to consider birds and bees thinking this is a perfect spot to make a home, but it will give you a nice flat surface to mount your sign to. If you had the owner paint the recessed area, then you'd have a good backdrop, and your sign would float out of the sign. It worked for us, maybe it would be helpful for you.

Hopefully helpful.jpg

Attachments

• Hopefully helpful.jpg
    Hopefully helpful.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 64

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've run into similar situations with those monument signs where irregular brick makes perfect placement tricky. One time we had the install guy out there with a saw shaping a panel on site; he wasn't happy and it wasn't our finest work. If you're abandoning the idea of cleaning the sign, or rehabbing it so you can place new vinyl on the existing panel, then replacing it is the only option, right?

The last time I had to do this, we just dropped some 2x4s onto the sign face and screwed them deep into the sign (we were installing a HDU sign, not an ACM panel, but the principle is sound). You'll have to consider birds and bees thinking this is a perfect spot to make a home, but it will give you a nice flat surface to mount your sign to. If you had the owner paint the recessed area, then you'd have a good backdrop, and your sign would float out of the sign. It worked for us, maybe it would be helpful for you.
That's a great idea! I'll see what happens with this...I sent the quote out, thank you!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
That's how I would do it. You already have the shape from round-2, paint the backing, use that as the shape for the new panel, and yer' golden. Next time they change it, tell em' to just call you to remove the vinyl (or panel), and when a new tenant comes in, you'll just lay a new one, which will be cheaper in the long run. If you think it'll make too a good bird nesting place, you can always use 1x4's instead of 2x4's, or short standoffs to make the panel removable.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I did not get the job.

Another sign company is there now - and have been for a while - making templates. 2 guys bundled up standing in the snow for - a while already. It's 33 and windy. Not to be mean but I had to snicker when I drove past both times and think how miserable I would be doing that, and how many swear words would come out of my mouth, and how cozy warm I am right now...

Sometimes it's OK to not get jobs in the middle of winter LOL

Stacey K

I like making signs
"I wanted to shop local" means, I'm trying to see if you will do it cheaper... and don't give two shits that you're actually local... and if you're one penny over I will hire someone out of town.
I didn't want to sound like a whiner - but...if they really wanted to "shop local" they would have called me first. They had the other company set up already and since they were out here the next day, they were simply trying to "look good" by calling me. They had no intentions of using me. No worries, I didn't eat their pizza last time because it's disgusting so I won't be back this time either LOL

So, I drove past again last night (it's on the next block) and now the paint is removed around the red outline. What they are doing is anyone's guess!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I didn't want to sound like a whiner - but...if they really wanted to "shop local" they would have called me first. They had the other company set up already and since they were out here the next day, they were simply trying to "look good" by calling me. They had no intentions of using me. No worries, I didn't eat their pizza last time because it's disgusting so I won't be back this time either LOL

So, I drove past again last night (it's on the next block) and now the paint is removed around the red outline. What they are doing is anyone's guess!
You did the last 2 faces and they price checked you on this one? That's annoying. 2+ day install on a simple project = loser. You are probably lucky that you didn't have to fool with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're gonna do what many of us suggested to you. Clean around the edge and make an overlay to cover up all the crap. Doubt they'll use stand-offs, as you could see the ugliness left behind it, so, it'll probably be a flush mount.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You did the last 2 faces and they price checked you on this one? That's annoying. 2+ day install on a simple project = loser. You are probably lucky that you didn't have to fool with it.
I did the first one and the second was a different business owner. Now this one is the original guy and he has a partner and it was the partner contacting me. She told me the original guy told them they had to get a price from me "to keep it local".

Stacey K

I like making signs
They're gonna do what many of us suggested to you. Clean around the edge and make an overlay to cover up all the crap. Doubt they'll use stand-offs, as you could see the ugliness left behind it, so, it'll probably be a flush mount.
The other sign companies only quote was to trace around the bricks and custom fit a new signboard. I kinda figured once I gave them a new idea they might run with it. Oh well, not a big deal, I'm not a fan of the cold as it's ME out there not employees LOL

JBurton

Signtologist
"I wanted to shop local" means, I'm trying to see if you will do it cheaper... and don't give two shits that you're actually local... and if you're one penny over I will hire someone out of town.
I'm meeting with a guy today who orders $90k worth of decals for heavy equipment they manufacture. They currently outsource, but want to purchase locally. IDK what that means in his case, I'm hoping its a 'good fast cheap' scenario, where I can meet some demand the others can't, but I'll end the meeting pretty quickly if he's purely trying to fulfill some quota to purchase locally without raising costs, because it's going to raise costs. If he just needs his stickers faster, I can do that, or something of higher quality/consistency...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, don't tell him anything about how fast your machines are, brand names or anything else..... or they'll just go out and buy a cheap one, hire someone to run it and take it in-house. Can't tell ya how many times, I've seen that.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, don't tell him anything about how fast your machines are, brand names or anything else..... or they'll just go out and buy a cheap one, hire someone to run it and take it in-house. Can't tell ya how many times, I've seen that.
Yup, but thank god he had the 'I'm not a plumber' attitude that makes the world go 'round.
His problem, turns out, they don't want to stock 'a bunch' of stickers, so they order as needed, but if one gets messed up, they pay a one off charge and overnight a single sticker. I told him, that while I don't want to talk myself out of work, if it were me, I'd order and stock as many as I figure I'll need in a year, and then some for screw ups. Nope, not going to happen, especially with a new focus on lowering inventory across the board... So at least I tried to do the best thing for his company, but instead he'd be happy to work with someone local and have the ability to get last minute stickers that don't break the bank.
Also, for the second time this week, this customer told me out of the 10 print shops he called for this project, we were the only ones to answer/return his call.