Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just In Beta Testers Needed for enterprise sign business software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Joe Anderson, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Are you guys truly providing source code access and full access to data stored in the system?

3. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Till the end of the year or longer? What happens after that?

4. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    It's software escrow. When we start taking on actual contracts we add them to the escrow. In case things go south the contractees have the ability to obtain the source code to continue business. Yes, full access to data is available. It also has an API where you can gather data. No it doesn't have direct database access but we can provide you with any data you would need that you have aquired.

5. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    We are going to offer free and paid versions. The "end of the year" stipulation isn't in stone. It depends but we are shooting for that date.

6. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    Christian... I'm almost 100% sure we actually spoke on the phone. Do you remember?

7. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    Oh and also we are not a startup. I can give company history once you are approved for the beta.

8. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Why are you asking about these 3 websites?

are you associated with them?
    • SignsUS.com
    • SignsRus.com
    • TheSignChef.com

9. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    No association. But I don't mind disclosing why we are asking about it once you submit the request. I don't think it's a required field. If it is it shouldn't be. I might just drop it to avoid confusion. Thank you for pointing it out.

10. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes I do. We are still formulating our solution so I do need to reach back out to you with what we have. It's awesome that you are planning this product, just surprised as most companies hold dearly to the data and source code no matter the business outcome. I think its pretty cool to prevent client issues.

11. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Any idea on pricing? We're looking to switching currently. We've been using accounting erp software that hasn't been updated in 20+ years...:oops: Just signed up for the beta.

The problem is it's hard to get everyone on board with learning new software like this. Half our employees have been using sbt for 20 years and don't mind it's limitations... While.the other half who didn't grow up on it and are used to a real, functional erp system hate it and want to smash their heads into the wall everytime they open it (I'm one of them)

I signed up to check it out. I've trialied a few in the past few months, I feel like most of them will cause the "other half" who grew up on sbt to bang their heads into the wall.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  12. Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson Shawn Welch

Jan 19, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    Honestly, we don't really know how to price it out right now. It is enterprise software which generally is pretty pricy but we don't want to over-price. Hopefully the beta users, since they are also potential end users, will be able to tell us a reasonable market price.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  13. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Can you post some screen shots, a list of features, anything? You're not offering much to go on to make it worth the trouble to sign up.

14. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Price wise its hard to say.

It's hard to enter an established software market and grab a market share that's worthwhile in your first years.

I've never heard of you guys... And you're still in beta. I can list 10 different fully fledged, well established solutions that always get mentioned in here.

Your software could very well be the best - but im sure other companies are in the position ours is.... Everyone is used to what they currently have and they don't like change.

So you're breaking into a hard to break into market. Charge too much and no one will go with you, charge too little and go out of business.

It'd be nice if you had a free / limited plan for smaller companies / users... Get a following and as people grow, so does your paying clients.

But.... I haven't seen your software, I don't know what it's capable of.... Or even a list of features. So it's hard to say right now.

I will say this though... The loss of revenue and time due to trying to switch 8 years ago has made our company hesitant on changing. People need something that just works... Not something they spend more time learning than using. So I'd get rid of all the bugs, make it as easy to use as possible before even thinking about bringing it live and ending the beta. I don't know what stage you're currently at... But 5 months for something as massive as an erp software doesn't seem like enough time to iron out all the bugs. Again.... No info on your website, so maybe you've been internally testing it for a year already.

I'm sure you'll get more useful, constructive feedback once people start using it more often.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    You're introducing a new and important business software offering late on a Friday night while signed-in using an account by another name and requesting detailed company information from others with mandatory signatures and binding NDA and you're not sure what your product is worth.

I take it you're not in marketing.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    This is hilarious. It is the exact same situation in our office. Don't you hate it when folks ask you what ERP you are using at your company. I keep threatening to push the server off the shelf in our office, just to give accounting the kick in the *** they need to actually make a change.

17. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    I'm curious as to what shops are especially looking for, or missing, as far as features or functions in their management software.

Is it cost keeping the commonly available packages away?

These posts keep occurring.

18. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    There isn't a good inclusive solution on the market that is customizable. Everything out there are bits and pieces or overly click step driven to be efficient. We have relegated to designing our own hub and building in connectable modules, until, something comes around that can carry from sales to RIP/Production management to keep my team in one cohesive environment.

From ShopVox, Cyrious, Corebridge, and so on nothing does that. Everything is just a segment then you move to another system.

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Our biggest holdup is accounting. They want something that will actually produce payroll checks, which our old system does. Just recently our old system had some variables reset, causing all of the payroll taxes to be calculated wrong. The accountant could not fix it in the system, so they were calculating all payroll tax by spreadsheet, checking by hand, then entering these values into the system to print the checks. I lost my sh*t(we once got hit with 20k worth of outstanding payroll taxes due to a similar accounting error), made a big enough stink over it to convince the owner to force her to start using quickbooks. Now, all they have to do is import a csv from quickbooks into the system. So hopefully now that we actually have quickbooks running, we can at least look at different solutions that interface with quickbooks for payroll. Previously, we'd be on a conference call demo, she'd ask about payroll, they'd say no it doesn't do payroll, but it interfaces with whatever..." and she'd pretty much check out after that.
    But this is a family business, I'm not sure how much power the accountant really holds in other shops, when they are not the bosses daughter...

20. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Thanks for the reply.

Because of another recent thread somewhere here on the forums asking about management software, I began to gather a matrix for my own edification of costs and features of the available solutions. It's not straightforward because of the their different terms for sales and service. I'm still working on it.

As far as a shop creating their own solution, I can tell you that it's typically a small group consisting of an owner, general mgr, bookkeeper, and designer such as a prepress operator or web designer as well as an outside expert of whatever platform you're using.

If that seems familiar, what platform are you working with?