• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Beta Testers Needed for enterprise sign business software

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thanks for the reply.

Because of another recent thread somewhere here on the forums asking about management software, I began to gather a matrix for my own edification of costs and features of the available solutions. It's not straightforward because of the their different terms for sales and service. I'm still working on it.

As far as a shop creating their own solution, I can tell you that it's typically a small group consisting of an owner, general mgr, bookkeeper, and designer such as a prepress operator or web designer as well as an outside expert of whatever platform you're using.

If that seems familiar, what platform are you working with?
For us, it is more than that. We have ownership operators, sales, project management, design, production, and install. Plus outsourcing.
There isn't a current solution to manage all aspects. We found a skeleton system with multiple API connectors that we are building to suit. The modules we are working with are

OnPrintShop for our web storefront, client stores, etc.

SuiteDash for our skeleton system and CRM

A custom Online Proofing solution for client interaction and documentation

GoToConnect for our phone, chat, and video call system.

QuickBooks for our Bookkeeper and CPA.

We are also on an alpha team for a project management / pricing software with direct connection to a RIP system.

And finally we are developing an installation team and outsource module to manage installations and outsourced portions of a project.

This is just a high level view but we are just tired of half baked solutions and want more AI and automations.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
There isn't a current solution to manage all aspects.

Are you aware of the tool that is FileMaker and the basics of designing and / or building “hubs” and “modules” which rely upon a relational database management system. (RDBMS)

You're not easily finding a vertical market FM solution for sign makers mainly because they are created specifically for an individual shop's business needs, such as what you're attempting.

Database programming tutorial: What are databases? ~8 minutes

Understanding the core components of SQL Server ~9 minutes
Simon is specifically addressing SQL because that’s what he’s teaching. However the same basics can be said for all the ~12 RDBS flavors out there of which FileMaker is but one.

This is just a high level view but we are just tired of half baked solutions and want more AI and automations
A buzz word that you might have heard lately is "affordance." FileMaker offers all the affordance you're looking for where the others you're intending to use do not currently do so.

Joe Anderson

Shawn Welch
You're introducing a new and important business software offering late on a Friday night while signed-in using an account by another name and requesting detailed company information from others with mandatory signatures and binding NDA and you're not sure what your product is worth.

I take it you're not in marketing.
Correct on everything. I would change the username but I can't for some reason. I'm a programmer. Not a marketer. I let my work market itself. Yah, we don't want beta testers blabbin stuff on forums like this right now. The beta allows insight into a system where we hold the features in high regard on par with trade secrets. The company information is needed to make a determination of beta eligability. If you want to talk to me personally go to the website and call any of the numbers I'd be more than happy to tell you as much info as I can without an NDA.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Are you aware of the tool that is FileMaker and the basics of designing and / or building “hubs” and “modules” which rely upon a relational database management system. (RDBMS)

You're not easily finding a vertical market FM solution for sign makers mainly because they are created specifically for an individual shop's business needs, such as what you're attempting.

Database programming tutorial: What are databases? ~8 minutes

Understanding the core components of SQL Server ~9 minutes
Simon is specifically addressing SQL because that’s what he’s teaching. However the same basics can be said for all the ~12 RDBS flavors out there of which FileMaker is but one.

A buzz word that you might have heard lately is "affordance." FileMaker offers all the affordance you're looking for where the others you're intending to use do not currently do so.
We don't use MACs and SQL is dated and slow.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
We don't use MACs and SQL is dated and slow.
Christian,
The overwhelming installs of FileMaker run via Microsoft servers and Windows clients. Also know FM runs on its own engine, not SQL. Also, believing SQL is slow is tantamount to believing the lousy guitar solo is the fault of the instrument when most know it's the drunk player.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
If you want to talk to me personally go to the website and call any of the numbers I'd be more than happy to tell you as much info as I can without an NDA.
That, I've done.

Shawn was cordial and forthcoming and answered my questions. I recommended he might prepare a short list of features and a definitive process to provide a subscriber their data if, and when, requested.

I look forward to learning more and other's experiences.

dypinc

Another online solution? Do you not realize that a good part of the USA does not have reliable internet due to the fact that broadband access is not consider a public utility, like electricity or basic phone service.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Another online solution? Do you not realize that a good part of the USA does not have reliable internet due to the fact that broadband access is not consider a public utility, like electricity or basic phone service.
They are targeting the "Enterprise" class of clients. They would most certainly have internet connections.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian,
The overwhelming installs of FileMaker run via Microsoft servers and Windows clients. Also know FM runs on its own engine, not SQL. Also, believing SQL is slow is tantamount to believing the lousy guitar solo is the fault of the instrument when most know it's the drunk player.
There is a reason why all the major databases with online access are moving away from SQL to things like MongoDB.
I get that FM works on windows, but it is not designed for windows. We are not looking for a local solution, we are wanting to tap into cheap computing and data via the plethora of readily available processing as a service companies.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

So in short, we hired a Filemaker deloper that tought us alot, but didn't really work out. So over the past year I (Gene - Founding Owner) took it uppon myself to learn it. I must say that Filemaker overall is AWESOME. I really wish I would have taken the time to learn it a decade ago when we first started. I really honestly think FireSprint would be even bigger today had I done that.

I'm reminded of a knowledgeable company's experience and opinion.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
There is a reason why all the major databases with online access are moving away from SQL to things like MongoDB.
The reason being licensing fees, not speed.

There is no server fee when hosting FileMaker on your own Mac. Mac Mini's with two internal 1Tb drives are the common server either on premises or from a cloud data center. Amazon, Claris, will tell you what hardware they're using for your files. From specialty providers, you can have a choice of Windows, Mac, or soon, Linux. Again, Apple hardware servers don't require a fee. Claris (corporate name from FileMaker back to their original name) as a company is taughting "cloud first." That mantra has creating a wide rift amongst users. Data savvy users know they want complete control of their data and don't want to be treated less than equal when given attention.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I get that FM works on windows, but it is not designed for windows.
Since Windows 10 has been more aligned with Mac windowing, FileMaker operates identically.

From Wikipedia
<<FileMaker Pro, the desktop app, evolved from a DOS application, originally called simply FileMaker, but was then developed primarily for the Apple Macintosh and released in April 1985. It was rebranded as FileMaker Pro in 1990. Since 1992 it has been available for Microsoft Windows and for the classic Mac OS and macOS, and can be used in a cross-platform environment.>>

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
My posts are not to hijack the OP's thread, but to provide some perspective and enlightenment for those pondering such a critical decision as business software. Especially those very small companies who need to compete in the larger arena of competition who have, in fact, created their own solutions long, long ago.

In the sign making and printing industry, those first stepping stones were likely FileMaker for two reasons; cost of entry and in-house talent, often the bookkeeper and designer or prepress person. Those two people needed buy-in which was the owner and shop manager as cheerleaders. The bookkeeper had her $200 FileMaker QuickBooks plugin on her Windows machine and the designer could create interface layouts and forms for print between normal production tasks. The owner knew it was the least expensive solution and the shop manager could have their say in the way work flow was addressed.

So, for the OP, it would behove him to download the 45 day trial of FileMaker and immediately put his advanced coding (JS, SQL, HTML, etc.) knowledge to work in FileMaker's special place for it. He could fully grasp the platform within 3 days of 8 hours each.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The reason being licensing fees, not speed.

There is no server fee when hosting FileMaker on your own Mac. Mac Mini's with two internal 1Tb drives are the common server either on premises or from a cloud data center. Amazon, Claris, will tell you what hardware they're using for your files. From specialty providers, you can have a choice of Windows, Mac, or soon, Linux. Again, Apple hardware servers don't require a fee. Claris (corporate name from FileMaker back to their original name) as a company is taughting "cloud first." That mantra has creating a wide rift amongst users. Data savvy users know they want complete control of their data and don't want to be treated less than equal when given attention.
That's good for you, We prefer the flexibility of access everywhere with cloud servers. This is a to each your own situation and what works for us doesn't for everyone. If you are hot to trot with FileMaker more power too you, I have seen other solutions we would prefer over FileMaker.

WildWestDesigns

SQLite is what I use for my own databases. Integrates nicely with server based solutions (although I do use that locally, my own programs (server (node/python based))).

Not really into Mongo, but it does appear to be the "flavor of the month" right now.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have seen other solutions we would prefer over FileMaker.
You have an usual understanding of "platform." From having "seen other solutions," what is the marker or giveaway as to what platform they are created? Any idea the platforms of Cyrious, ShopVOX, Photoshop, OnPrintShop?

Point being, one cannot typically tell by having "seen" solutions what platform they were created.