• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Better tracing results in corel?

J

john1

Hey guys, Any of you have better luck with tracing multi color images in corel or is this how it is?

I have tried all the options for the type of trace and keep getting a ugly looking trace with white outlines in some areas and blotchy colors when they are solid before tracing.

It works decent for b&w images but those are few and far between.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 103

edgette

I use corel for 99% of the work I do but the tracing option does leave something to be desired. If I need to trace something I will just use Illustrator or do it by hand.

royster13

There is no doubt that manual will give a better finished product......But it is an acquired skill that will take some years to get decent at.....

OldPaint

the best trace program i ever had was ADOBE STREAMLINE 4.0. is that what they use in illy?
most stuff i trace in corel i do it it in gray scale or black and white. then once you got good vectors, adding color to each, is no big deal.

SignManiac

My software is far superior to most. It's proprietary and is called vector doctor. It does an amazing job on those occasions I need to trace something. Never found a button you could push that would give better results.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Only time I autotrace is with Inkscape. all the other programs have cruddy auto vector coding. inkscape.org inkscape uses the potrace open source code and potrace is probably the most accurate and clean tracing code out there. good stuff. it's also a free program.

Techman

vector magic will never replace vector doctor.

Vector magic is disappointing and is not better than illy or corel tracer.

Inkscape is a sleeping dog. It just lies there sleeping under the porch. But when you call it suddenly you have a master on your hands.

Stagecraft

I vote that we all now defer to Techman.
Why bother offering input on anything, he obviously has all the answers.

Cyw

John, not saying it will work with your specific image but have you tried reducing the colors or better yet, click on the colors tab and merge some of the colors to eliminate the blotchiness?
Also, those faint white lines should only be visible on screen if you are in Enhanced view
If you switch to normal mode, i believe they'll disappear
In either case, they shouldn't print

Techman

I vote that we all now defer to Techman.
Why bother offering input on anything, he obviously has all the answers.
There ya go.. playing the victim card...

Have you actually worked with the vector magic website with a good sampling of files?
Members here have experimented with that site when it first appeared a couple of years ago and found it is just adequate for a number of reasons.

Sorry I hurts your feelings but the post was not aimed at you.

Custom_Grafx

I like Illy's live trace. The trick is in learning all the little settings that most overlook. Worth familiarising yourself with them all.

rjpjr

Vector magic is disappointing and is not better than illy or corel tracer.

Hmmm... We liked the results well enough that we purchased the program. We could not be happier. We directly tested Vector Magic versus CS5 and Corel. In our opinions, Vector Magic was superior. Attached you will see before and after pics of the original jpg and the generated vector. The vector is untouched...note how consistent the outlines around the text are. Very Crisp.

When we can we build from scratch, but there are some projects that perfect IS NOT priced in. That is where this program helps us maintain profitability.

Attachments

• sample 1.jpg
    sample 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 74
  • sample 2.jpg
    sample 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 74

rjssigns

I use an embroidery service to get things vectorized. They have more in the two tracing programs than I paid for my house. Usually turn it same day.

WildWestDesigns

I use an embroidery service to get things vectorized. They have more in the two tracing programs than I paid for my house. Usually turn it same day.

Yep. Gotta love EmbroideryStudio. A lot better tool set to manual vectorizing then Ai or Draw (although Draw is interfaced with EmbroideryStudio).

But it's one program not two, but it does cost significantly more then what everyone is used to paying for the Master Suite for just one program, but what a program it is. If you use Level 3, they do have several level, still not cheap though.

I'll try to get some screenshots when I get to the office.