• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BIG CITY or small town?

What size town or city do you work in: (population?)

• 1000 or less

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • around 10,000

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • around 100,000

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • around 1,000,000

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • 2,000,000 or more

Votes: 9 10.3%

• Total voters

Joe Diaz

So what are everyone’s thoughts? Do you work in a large city, or a small town? ... or somewhere inbetween? What are the pros and cons of the town size you operate your business in?

We work in a smaller town, not super small though, about 12,000. I think one pro of working in a smaller city are the better grade of customer. Sure we get some craptacular customers, but not near as bad as when I used to work in a city with a population of 75,000. In a town our size you can come close to knowing everyone, at least recognize everyone. It’s easy to know all the business owners in our town. Because everyone knows everyone, people tend to check their rude behavior at the door. You don’t want your reputation scarred in a town this size. I feel like in a big city you can get away with more as a consumer. You can be a total jack@$$ if you don’t get your way, and at the end of the day, you can blend into the crowd.

Also in a smaller town, business owners look out for other business owners. We all want to see each other do well because that means our town is doing well. I buy my services from a local business and they in return, buy from us. In our community, we really try to keep things local, and if you don’t, again… word travels fast in a small town.

Less competition: In a smaller town once you have become established and your name goes hand in hand with the product or services you sell, it’s hard for another shop to come in and compete. We have had some try. The ones that do make it tend to offer smaller signs in addition to other service we don’t provide. For instance one shop that is still in business that offered signs also did t-shirts and packaging. Now they hardly ever make signs and concentrate on the other services, which leads me to a con…

One con is that there is only so much work to go around in a smaller town. One way to cope with the shortage of sign work is to offer a larger amount of services. You can’t be a specialized shop like in a larger city. You have to be a jack of all trades, master of none which can stretch you thin sometimes. This isn’t totally bad. At least every day when I come to work I’m doing something different. It keeps me on my toes.

Another way to cope with the shortage of work is to target work out of town. There are tons of smaller towns that surround us that aren’t big enough to have their own shop. Then we compete against another larger town’s sign company. Every thing just becomes more spread out. With the help of the internet we can look for work even father away.

What are some other pros and cons you guys can think of?

SignBurst PCs

One pro of working in a big city (several million) is that there seems to be an endless supply of customers (not all good customers mind you). If you market well, you can seem to pull them in when you need them.

Of course the con is competition. We have one business here that dominates the wrap market by selling very inexpensive wraps because of the volume they can sell due to it being such a large city. In order to compete with ridiculously low prices, you have to set yourself apart with quality designs and installation.

There are really places with less than 1000 people? JK.:Oops:

Last edited:

os101king

So what are everyone’s thoughts? Do you work in a large city, or a small town? ... or somewhere inbetween? What are the pros and cons of the town size you operate your business in?

We work in a smaller town, not super small though, about 12,000. I think one pro of working in a smaller city are the better grade of customer. Sure we get some craptacular customers, but not near as bad as when I used to work in a city with a population of 75,000. In a town our size you can come close to knowing everyone, at least recognize everyone. It’s easy to know all the business owners in our town. Because everyone knows everyone, people tend to check their rude behavior at the door. You don’t want your reputation scarred in a town this size. I feel like in a big city you can get away with more as a consumer. You can be a total jack@$$ if you don’t get your way, and at the end of the day, you can blend into the crowd.

Also in a smaller town, business owners look out for other business owners. We all want to see each other do well because that means our town is doing well. I buy my services from a local business and they in return, buy from us. In our community, we really try to keep things local, and if you don’t, again… word travels fast in a small town.

Less competition: In a smaller town once you have become established and your name goes hand in hand with the product or services you sell, it’s hard for another shop to come in and compete. We have had some try. The ones that do make it tend to offer smaller signs in addition to other service we don’t provide. For instance one shop that is still in business that offered signs also did t-shirts and packaging. Now they hardly ever make signs and concentrate on the other services, which leads me to a con…

One con is that there is only so much work to go around in a smaller town. One way to cope with the shortage of sign work is to offer a larger amount of services. You can’t be a specialized shop like in a larger city. You have to be a jack of all trades, master of none which can stretch you thin sometimes. This isn’t totally bad. At least every day when I come to work I’m doing something different. It keeps me on my toes.

Another way to cope with the shortage of work is to target work out of town. There are tons of smaller towns that surround us that aren’t big enough to have their own shop. Then we compete against another larger town’s sign company. Every thing just becomes more spread out. With the help of the internet we can look for work even father away.

What are some other pros and cons you guys can think of?

Personally, I'd go bonkers if I couldn't look forward to tackling a new project once a week. I don't care if I made 100K a year, I'd pull my hair out if I only made one product or one type of product. Most of the fun is new customers with new and original requests, and being able to complete the project even though you've never tackled it before. I doubt I'd be able to do that in a 'big city', but I doubt I'd see that coming thru the door in a 'small town'.

D&Tgraphics

The town/city we're in is about 25,000 but we service the whole county of about 225,000.
I wouldn't like being in a big city. You'de get lost in the crowd. I like the smaller town personal touch.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
i'm in between 10k and 100k.

In the valley I live in, the 2 cities have around 80k with around 28 advertised sign shops and printers dabbling in signs and probably the same in home and hobby shops.

My town can not support my type of work, I have only done one job in my town. 80% of my work is in LA, Orange and San Diego areas. Within 150 mile radius I am surrounded by a population of 20,000,000 so it ups my odds of bumping into certain work that I am targeting. I don't rely on the internet for work, most of the work has come from associations I have made through the years while being an employee at several design firms and sign shops.

Last edited:

B Snyder

My shop is on the border of 2 towns...one has a population of 100,000 and the other 26,500. The towns are not large in size though so I actually have customers that come from many of the surrounding towns.

Using this site
http://demo.analygis.com/google/default.htm
I find that, according to the 2000 Census Report, there is a population of 340,000 within a 5 mile radius of my shop's address.

Derf

The tri-county area that I work in is just over 2,000,000 plus I get a lot of work from the bay area too.

curtrnev

I guess the only down side to the big city is being able to go somewhere without the crowds.I have lived in towns of all sizes and all have their ups and downs. From having to drive 45 minutes to get a loaf of bread to having to put up with noisey dogs and neighbors a few feet away.

high impact

I can't vote since my population is not listed. Our population is approximately 30,000ish with five sign shops - one does only large back lit signs and travels often, two are garage hacks, one is in a remodeled barn behind their house and then there is us and we are in a storefront.

The shop in the barn does the majority of work in the area and we are second in local market share. We like the size of our town - large enough to have some amenities and yet small enough to know many people and most other business owners.

Marlene

the town I live in has about 700 people. the shop is near VT's "big" city of about 60,000. pretty small market yet we had a one time 26 sign shops in the area. we are down some now but we still have a ton of shops for such a little market.

SignManiac

My town is seasonal with around 12k year rounders and during the winter months it swells to about 100k consisting of many old blue haired crinkly people and a bunch of cows, orange trees. Our claim to fame is the bottled water we grow here and skydiving.

If you need city life you can drive 30 minutes and be in downtown Tampa with a population of three million give or take a few.

wildside

we have about 5000 in this area, and we are the largest town in the area, we have 8 shops directly competing in the market place

an hour away is about 60,000, but no work there, about 15 shops there

like joe said above, the owners here know each other, we spend as much locally as we can and the others tend to spend outside of the community like the local county college spends our tax dollars outside the county...bummer...

biggest con, is everyone knows your business, i heard a bet was made about how long my doors would be open, thats the type of community it is, friendly face to face but gonna back stab ya the first chance ya get.......we are exploring with other communities right now....:thumb:

rcook99

We live in a city of about 35,000 and service people in other smaller towns and cities for a total pop of about 230,000.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I started in a town of about 5k and after 3 years moved to a metro area of about 1.25million. The small town had 1 established sign business and I was considered the outsider. I offered a much wider variety of products but could not crack the local crowd. My customer base consisted of fellow "outsiders" that had moved there from the city.

I found price to be much more of a factor in a small town. In the city, people have a higher sense of urgency so speed was more of a factor. Another pro of a larger city is you can catch bigger fish.

I have recently moved to a fast growing outlying suburb of the metro area and hope to get established on the ground floor within the community and still retain the large city clientele. Less theft too.