• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big idea

GP

nice work on the upright lightbulb.

Think i like big better.

Make me think large format as well.

GP

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
http://images.google.com/images?um=...idea+logo&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

To me, there is little difference between 'Forbus Design Studio' and 'Bright Idea'. Seems like both names will attract the same type of client. Looking through Google, the idea is played out which may give the 'idea' of lacking originality, especially if you are trying to lure a slightly higher end client... not saying you lack originality, but everyone seems to have the same idea.

Another thing about Bright Idea.. you could put cleaning services after it or metal polishing. You don't need a super clever name that goes over everyones head, but I would explore other options before fleshing out a logo.

luggnut

To me, there is little difference between 'Forbus Design Studio' and 'Bright Idea'. Seems like both names will attract the same type of client. Looking through Google, the idea is played out which may give the 'idea' of lacking originality, especially if you are trying to lure a slightly higher end client... not saying you lack originality, but everyone seems to have the same idea.

Another thing about Bright Idea.. you could put cleaning services after it or metal polishing. You don't need a super clever name that goes over everyones head, but I would explore other options before fleshing out a logo.

ouch!!!! what about BIG Idea?

you know i've researching names of these design firms and most sound like law offices (the arnell group) and then some are even more corny than BIG IDEA...

i just really don't think "forbus" has the sound for a company name... could be just me. but the original post the name was "the big idea" i was just testing "bright" out.

GypsyGraphics

Luggnut, I like Big Idea much better than Bright Idea. You've done a great job with the logo and I love your color choices.

daveb and signgal's views on use of the word "the" bears repeating...
Best not to give too much weight or importance to the word "the" and if you can bring yourself to omit it altogether, even better.

Sign_Boy

Nice Work. I like the bulb in the last few.
Big Idea Design Studio (BIDS)
What about:
Big Idea Studio

I bet in the end you would answer the phone "Big Idea"

Rick

ouch!!!! what about BIG Idea?

you know i've researching names of these design firms and most sound like law offices (the arnell group) and then some are even more corny than BIG IDEA...

i just really don't think "forbus" has the sound for a company name... could be just me. but the original post the name was "the big idea" i was just testing "bright" out.

My initial reaction was the same on 'the big idea'. Unless you had a more clever way of presenting it, it was not doing anything unique enough. It's not to say it can't work, but the logo really needs to step it up on the concept, to me, the light bulb is overused.

Have you researched any design firms with work and names you like?

I follow quite a few places...

a few of my favorites for their work, how they present themselves with their names are....

Aesthetic Apparatus
Modern Dog
CSA Design
Tactix Creative
Sketchtank
Hatch Design
Planet Propaganda
Last Match Studios
Honest Bros.
Draplin Design Co.

Idea Design

When I changed the name of my company to "Idea Design" I mulled over and rolled over and over and over trying to make the light bulb work. I tend to agree with what Rick says here because I've been through exactly this situation.

At the time when we were merging our two companies into one, my son was about 2 or 3 years old and we were driving down the road and from the back seat he says "HEY! What if we go to Home Depot on the way to get ice cream" or something to that effect. I remember clearly changing my design direction to the exclamation rather than the light bulb right then.

Good luck and I like the first one, only turning the light bulb upright like you did later on.

And, FWIW, I think you should answer the phone, "What's the Big Idea?"

luggnut

Aesthetic Apparatus
Modern Dog
CSA Design
Tactix Creative
Sketchtank
Hatch Design
Planet Propaganda
Last Match Studios
Honest Bros.
Draplin Design Co.

whoa! i live in alabama... most of those names would scare most in the state. i can't get too much more advanced than a lynard skynard tribute band.

lugg i know we have talked in private and are having a conversation tomorrow either in person or on the phone..but i think i should throw a couple things out there for everyone else and their thoughts on your idea.

there is less than 5 ad agencies in this area. none of them present themselves in an approachable manner for the small business (which needs to be your target market).

i have some concerns about you making the change from a sign company to a design firm/agency, in that i want to make certain you have thought through all of the expectations your clients will have of you in this new business/role and if you are truly up to the task.

your clients will have much higher expectations than you just making signs for them. you have superb design skills but there is much more required to creating campaigns and ensuring they are fulfilled and executed. if you do not have the experience, education, resources, etc etc. to fulfill all of the expectations clients will have of you versus just creating signs you will be doing yourself a disservice in this change.

you are a very talented accomplished signman on top of that you are a very talented artist so please don't take my comments as negative because they are not. i just want to make certain you think through this beyond simply changing the name of your company.

artbot

i think it's too fun. if you want your clients to be corporate clientele. then you need a logo that emulates "their personality" not your own. look at most corporate branding. it's very monumental and stark.

Dan Antonelli

Lugg,

Any advice or help you need on making the transition, let me know.

For us, it wasn't like turning a switch, but more a gradual transition.

Some clients weren't on board with it, and still thought of me as a truck lettering guy only. And some came along for the ride and are still with me today.

I was liking where you are going with the branding, given what you said about your area and demographics. For a small business sector, I think you want to avoid being too snooty and unapproachable.

luggnut

For us, it wasn't like turning a switch, but more a gradual transition.

that was what i had in mind...

i've been doing a few websites and the CMS system i use lets me put my logo on the CMS page.... and i thought a different logo from my "forbus sign depot" would be more appropriate?

washingtonsignguy

I like the big idea. And your design works great with it. It makes me wanna ask "whats the big idea? and keep reading the logo to find out what you do. I agree with you on other design co's names. But i also agree with Rick, Make sure you spend a good amount of time thinking it over. The lightbulb looks better upright. good luck

Rick

Most design firms are not approachable because they do not make themselves approachable. It has always been the case... shopping for design is very hard. That is why so many small businesses find themselves shopping for graphics at glorified copy shops and sign shops... some of these copy shops and sign shops are very talented, but the majority are not. The average start-up business would be lucky to stumble into Forbus Sign Depot.

On the name, your name can work... almost any name can work. You have a strong opinion about the names I posted, but your opinion really may not be what other people share when they are in the act of shopping for design. I get that some are campy and clever and that might turn off 5% of your clientele, but do you need them or want their business?

I get the idea that you want to sell yourself as 2 things... who wants to buy a website or catalog from a sign shop? I think it's like Dan Antonelli said... you sort of transition into this. If you notice Shane Durnford's current transition, very talented craftsmen and designer... but you can't do it all and keep up the pace.

I only design... why? Because I can not be profitable printing, installing wraps, painting, carving, blasting, pouring concrete, fabricating marble or granite, forming letters, applying raster beads, molding, welding and grinding, hanging signs and pulling permits. I am lucky to have worked for some very good shops and I have worked for large and small design firms and got a feel of how they work. My idea was to do festival/entertainment environments and graphics, hence my business name... but what has happened is I am designing large sign programs, wayfinding and identities. My name really does not fit, but now people are used to it. My expertise is in traditional print and themed environments. The business and area will dictate your direction unless you relentlessly go after the work you want, in that case, you may need a clever name... I happen to go after clients most sign shops hate.... architects and design firms. What attracts mom and pop clients? You may have a better idea than I do but I'm thinking you are going to get in just as much work from Forbus than you would be with 'The Big Idea' until you market up your brand...