• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee

gabagoo

I have a small 18 inch one that works quite well for vinyl and premasking. I have the 38" version which I use just about every day. It is a necessity to have one.
I have a 54" version but find it far to heavy and awkward to figure out how to do 4 x 8's.... Not knocking it, I just have not figured out how to apply pressure evenly over such a wide distance, especially from one side of the table. 2 people could probably handle it easy

CropMarks

we use our 38" for both lamination and mounting. I like it so much that we put our seal image 410 into storage.

J

john1

The BS is a piece of crap....

Until you get the hang of using it. It's all i use in my home based shop to laminate prints and mount signs and it's WONDERFUL.

I laminated 500 decals the other day which consisted of about a dozen sheets of 40 decals with no issues. I did however have to reprint 1 sheet due to user error with it but out of let's say 50 prints, you'll mess up on 1 or 2 maybe which from what i understand is common with "real" laminators also

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
First time I have seen this post.

Thanks to all that has shared.

This is not the first time someone has posted that they put their roll laminator into storage.

The biggest problem I have found with new users of the Big Squeegee is that they try too hard. It really is easy. Twisting on the tool to apply more pressure is usually what causes the most problems.

If you do have problems, give me a call and I will try to help you out.:thumb:

TheSnowman

I just counted mine...I have 11 of them. All different tools for different tasks. I mount prints all day long everyday and it's the most used tool in my shop. I don't hardly cut ANYTHING anymore, it's all just mounted w/ the big squeegee. Never hardly buy transfer tape anymore, or waste as much time weeding.

Sorry, I lied...there are 12.

Attachments

• squeegee.JPG
    squeegee.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 89

CES020

We have and use 2 of the larger ones and 1 of the "yard sign" one's. Never made a yard sign with it, but put plenty of application tape down with it. On the larger ones, they have paid for themselves easily. When you don't print and have to pay for the prints, it doesn't take but one 4' x 8' print screwed up to pay for it. I don't want to tell you all the "creative" ways we applied things (or how many people it took) prior to the BS. Now, we just line the print up, push the thing down the substrate, and it's done.

LOVE the things.

iSign

I have a 54" version but find it far to heavy and awkward to figure out how to do 4 x 8's.... Not knocking it, I just have not figured out how to apply pressure evenly over such a wide distance, especially from one side of the table. 2 people could probably handle it easy

like Dale mentioned.. pressure is not a concern.. obviously you don't want it to lift off the print on one side, so that much pressure is needed, but don't think of it as applying pressure.. simply reach over to the center, and apply just enough to keep it on the print.. that's it! You can check out my BS video's on the islandsign youtube channel... not great camera work, but you can see that single handed 4x10's are a breeze...

tattoo.dan

I am glad I found this thread. Now I don't feel like such a dumb***!!! Have been laminating with my 56 inch on a few jobs now and couldn't get the back to release like all the bs videos...So it's the oracal 210! That's great because that's mainly what I use! :doh: Oh well. I just couldn't understand what I wasn't doing that the people on the bs vids were to make that backing release! At least now I know! :thumb:

I have a couple jobs to laminate today and have some lamex I may try. Hopefully that will work better!

Clear Choice

I love my BS! It saves bunches of time applying adhesive
vinyl prints to posters and coro blanks....and the lamination too.
I've used it for large pieces on cut vinyl banners too instead of
transfer paper.

Yes, some backing papers are stickier than others and can
cause problems releasing.

Mainframe

I use a piece of coroplast, about 2" x 55" when I do 54" lam by myself. I tape or staple it onto the release liner so I can have a handle on it while I push & pull at the same time, takes a little practice but it keeps me from running over the liner when I do 210 by myself. you can roll the liner up while you go.

Clear Choice

I use a piece of coroplast, about 2" x 55" when I do 54" lam by myself. I tape or staple it onto the release liner so I can have a handle on it while I push & pull at the same time, takes a little practice but it keeps me from running over the liner when I do 210 by myself. you can roll the liner up while you go.

:banghead:
Running over the liner....been there, done that, cursed.

Jack Knight1979

I love mine. I mount huge jobs, laminate wraps with it. I'm never buying a laminator.

I do need another person to help peel the release paper on some laminates like 210, but I can live with that. Best accessory for the money.

It took a day of trashing jobs to get the technique dialed in, but that would happen with a new laminator too.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I suppose the question is, what lams *do* work well with the BS?

Anyone?
You should use the laminate that the manufacturer suggests to use with material you're working with. You can use the Big Squeegee on any laminate. Some just take a bit more practice to get a technique that works for you.

fmg

No laminates work well with the big squeegee in my opinion.This is why manufacturers make laminators for that purpose.
The Big squeegee is what is says A Big Squeegee!

gabagoo

No laminates work well with the big squeegee in my opinion.This is why manufacturers make laminators for that purpose.
The Big squeegee is what is says A Big Squeegee!

so I assume from that post that you own a BS?

fmg

so I assume from that post that you own a BS?
Yes I purchased one a couple of years ago and must of used it a dozen times.Not a big fan of it at all.It sits in the shop now gathering dust.This is not to say other people won't find it handy.Just not for me. I laminate with a Seal Base 54" not a piece of rounded off PVC board with a fancy green molded piece attached to it.
Thank you!