• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Biggest newbie questions

techhnyne

i just bought a roland sp300v, i never printed or worked with printing before,
i am trying to print my design but it wont print color from my roland however it will cut/plot if i try.
im trying to print and cut but im not sure im doing it correctly.

also how to i work in RGB color mode noty CYMK? is there a way to change it from cymk to rrgb or does that depend on the file imported?

i also received caught exception, error code -6

anyone live near bergen NJ area? i will pay them to give me lessons

get used to it wes...i've been saying it for a year we are preparing to get hit with the largest group of ppl with no experience that we have ever seen and there is only more coming...if your business is based on consumable (throw away type signs) banners, corex, etc you are going to get blasted with competition from photographers, photoprint labs, office supply stores,, pack and ship stores, party supply stores, and the list goes on not to mention the tremendous amount of ppl that are unemployed that will start looking for a business opp since they can't find work..and why not this one..it's so easy a caveman can do it and if you can't there is always the internet, you can learn anything on the internet right? . all of these industries are jumping head first into the consumable sign industry that doesnt require installation or serious design skills.

to the op did you receive no training with your equipment? that would be the first place i would look, most local ppl are going to have a conflict training new potential competition.

wow

techhnyne

get used to it wes...i've been saying it for a year we are preparing to get hit with the largest group of ppl with no experience that we have ever seen and there is only more coming...if your business is based on consumable (throw away type signs) banners, corex, etc you are going to get blasted with competition from photographers, photoprint labs, office supply stores,, pack and ship stores, party supply stores, and the list goes on not to mention the tremendous amount of ppl that are unemployed that will start looking for a business opp since they can't find work..and why not this one..it's so easy a caveman can do it and if you can't there is always the internet, you can learn anything on the internet right? . all of these industries are jumping head first into the consumable sign industry that doesnt require installation or serious design skills.

to the op did you receive no training with your equipment? that would be the first place i would look, most local ppl are going to have a conflict training new potential competition.

wow

i am not going into printing business.
i race motorcycles and i bought the printer to print the race teams graphics and to create our trailer wraps.
i would be willing to travel for training, and no i did not get any training when i purchased the printer..
they showed me how to print using signlabs but then i was trold that would be few grand extra so i opt not to buy it.
i did pick up flexisign though and i have no clue how to use it nor can i find tutorials.
anyone know video tutorials?

note to you guys in sign business.
its cheaper for customers who print alot to buy their own equipment then deal with a sign shop who doesnt hook it up with the prices.

thats basically why i bought the printer.

Jillbeans

its cheaper for customers who print alot to buy their own equipment then deal with a sign shop who doesnt hook it up with the prices.

So how's that roland sp300v working out for you then?
:)
You have a lot of nerve expecting anyone's help after writing that statement.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

thats basically why i bought the printer.

Obviously you either don't read very well or choose not to understand that we limit our membership to the professional sign making community. You are not welcome here.

Techman

i did pick up flexisign though and i have no clue how to use it nor can i find tutorials.

A good bet its not a legal version.. Any takers? IF he wouldn;t buy signlab why would he buy flexi?

Geeses

Come to a sign board and completely disrespect the ppl here..

Note to you the job thief.. Good riddance. Yes job thief, you are trying to steal a job rather than go earn one.

it just makes me wonder how many people are on sites such as this getting their 'training' to do the same exact thing. this guy was dumb enough to out himself you know there are some that have masqueraded as sign people to get up and running.

Techman

it just makes me wonder how many people are on sites such as this getting their 'training' to do the same exact thing.

The photographer and the boat guy in just a few days..

Melissam2505

Well that guy is banned and the photographer isn't going anywhere. Make fun of me all you want. I am a single girl supporting myself on a business I built up through hard work and constant learning. Get used to it. And if you don't want newbies, then delete the newbie section of the forum and pray every night NO ONE ever enters your industry.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well that guy is banned and the photographer isn't going anywhere. Make fun of me all you want. I am a single girl supporting myself on a business I built up through hard work and constant learning. Get used to it. And if you don't want newbies, then delete the newbie section of the forum and pray every night NO ONE ever enters your industry.

That guy was banned because he is not a professional sign maker and has no interest in becoming one. He is an end user looking for ways to avoid dealing with a professional sign maker. Newbies are and always have been welcome at Signs 101 providing they are seeking to earn their livings in the craft and want to gain professional insights.

Melissam2505

I assumed that was the reasons for him being banned. I don't like being associated into the same category as him as the "photographer" I was venting more because the previous poster mentioned me in this post and all the advice given to me in my thread about giving up and not standing a chance.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I assumed that was the reasons for him being banned. I don't like being associated into the same category as him as the "photographer" I was venting more because the previous poster mentioned me in this post and all the advice given to me in my thread about giving up and not standing a chance.

Yes, but at the same time you also received a lot of great advice.

I sometimes think that some here think we are some kind of a panel of experts interested in passing on information to anyone who asks. The reality is that we are a community helping each other that is made up of members who are at all different levels of experience and expertise ... each with their own viewpoints and opinions. So you will always find folks here that are helpful and you will also find some who prefer sarcasm or even rudeness.

That's just the way it is and there is no need to dwell on it or to feel unwelcome or defensive.

Melissam2505

Fred, I totally agree. I did get a lot of great advice there and even more through PM.
I know I have to earn my way here, and I will try to ignore the rude people. You summed it up better than I ever could. Thank you.

iSign

Fred, I totally agree. I did get a lot of great advice there and even more through PM.
I know I have to earn my way here, and I will try to ignore the rude people. You summed it up better than I ever could. Thank you.

Fred certainly does have a way of doing that :clapping: ...and in the end, I'm sure the rudeness has begun to be outgrown by a number of us, on the merits of Fred's patient example. (myself included :rolleyes:)

yahhoo

to the guy with no VWorks...sp300

frankly i think if he can afford the printer and the software...the ink and the vinyl...then congrats....hehe....yes there's a BIG learning curve. he will find out the versacamm is not like a color copier...hehe
good luck to him:)....in the beginning he will spemd countless hours creating garbage...then realize he probably should buy a laminator hehe.
I don't feel threatened by these people...i could care less for their "big business"....(which is usually hot air...they pester 5 shops for the cheapest price etc.) I WANT them to do it themselves...leave the professionals alone....we are busy enough with decent customers...let us hope he figures out how to make his own motorcycle decals...

Craig Sjoquist

Dan Striker is correct been seeing this ever since 1985 about when people bought cutters and bam they are a sign shop with the attitude to save money and earn a living because that sign painter was making a good living, with a cutter they can do it 4 to 10 faster and charge half as much.
Advertising is not rated by square foot but by value

Now that the cutter is less then a grand and now the printer is popular, yes I'm getting customers that want printers cause they already have a cutter, sure is great to laugh about for me. since I still hand letter and paint pictures,the printed graphics only last so long and real customers want there advertising to last better & look nicer longer which paint does