• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bit for aluminum composite

mitch2374

I have a Gerber Sabre 408 was wondering what is the best bit for aluminum composite (Durabond). I have always had trouble with rough edges. Will reversing the cutting direction fix this? Is there a bit specialized for aluminum composite? I"m using 1/8th inch material most of the time. Any help most appreciated.

letterman7

Sounds like you're moving too fast. A double spiral up flute should be fine for Durabond; slow the feed speed down and up the rpm's and see what happens.

mitch2374

thanks

I have used the 33000 series, and a gerber double fluted bit as well so it has to be down to the speed and direction. Thanks guys I'll give it a go again.

88flstf

I agree with Dropout. Onsrud 'O' single flute up spiral. I don't use a Gerber machine but I run 24000 rpm and moderately fast through the material. No lubrication as the plastic core lubricates enough. The bit has to be sharp though or you'll always get a lousy edge.

synergy_jim

I agree with Dropout. Onsrud 'O' single flute up spiral. I don't use a Gerber machine but I run 24000 rpm and moderately fast through the material. No lubrication as the plastic core lubricates enough. The bit has to be sharp though or you'll always get a lousy edge.

yup.... same here....

WB

We use Onsurd Solid Carbide Single Flute Up spiral too.

I've tried double flute but Single is the way to go. I find they're only good for about 8-10 sheets depending on how much your cutting out, then the edge gets dull and you'll start to chip ink off.

Tel

Single flute everytime must be sharp and I always use conventional direction not climb mill. No coolant.
Regards Tel

frigstef

Belin 33317 or 33476. You can take the plastic serie but it won't cut your plastic well after cutting the diebond.
Cut it in climb direction (clockwise)
20000RPM 150 feed rate.
Really good finish for us!

CES020

Well, there you go....

1) Cut it climb only.
2) Don't cut it climb, cut it conventional.
3) Use coolant.
4) Cut it dry.

:)

For what it's worth (not much) we use the O-Flutes we well. Stuff cuts like butter.

GVP

We've had good success with 1/8" straight (2 flute) bits from Centurion Tools. Cut thru 3mm aluminum composite at around 125ipm, 18,000 rpm in Climb direction. We find cutting in climb direction leaves enough chips in the kerf to hold the piece in place without tabs (at least for simple shapes), plus they tend to stick to the waste side of the cut, meaning less to clean up on the piece.