• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black and White

Patco

Hello,

Trying to print a greyscale poster on a Roland XC540 through Versaworks. Is there any way to use the black ink only? With the other colors involved it looks bad.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

victor bogdanov

Hello,

Trying to print a greyscale poster on a Roland XC540 through Versaworks. Is there any way to use the black ink only? With the other colors involved it looks bad.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

I've had decent results with making sure the file is set to grayscale in photoshop and then in versaworks "color adjustments" set all colors except for black to -5. I get pretty good black and white prints on my vs300 this way

victor bogdanov

Or lets say if the print appears reddish turn down the magenta in color adjustments, or turn the blue up, it'll take some dialing in

MikePro

printing with black-only is certainly an option, but I'm a HUGE fan of applying a custom CMYK profile in photoshop for greyscale images, and set the Black Generation in the GCR to either Medium or High Density or Maximum Density. Anything and everything I throw thru it in a hurry, and just run on either of my printer's default "profiles on" settings, looks amazing. A true greyscale, that a LOT of your standard profiles will interpret images as reddish/blue'ish/green'ish greys, as it comes out 90% black-only but still utilizes the CMYlmlc to soften the gradients.
edited to add: if I want greyscale-only, and not just rich blacks/greys of the original image, i'll start by converting the image to greyscale, and then save the final image as custom cmyk with HighGCR.

39392_TI_3.jpg