Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black and White

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Patco, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Patco

Patco Member

Apr 17, 2007
    So Cal
    Hello,

Trying to print a greyscale poster on a Roland XC540 through Versaworks. Is there any way to use the black ink only? With the other colors involved it looks bad.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Tags:
  2. victor bogdanov

victor bogdanov Member

Aug 29, 2020
    TEXAS
    I've had decent results with making sure the file is set to grayscale in photoshop and then in versaworks "color adjustments" set all colors except for black to -5. I get pretty good black and white prints on my vs300 this way

3. victor bogdanov

victor bogdanov Member

Aug 29, 2020
    TEXAS
    Or lets say if the print appears reddish turn down the magenta in color adjustments, or turn the blue up, it'll take some dialing in

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    printing with black-only is certainly an option, but I'm a HUGE fan of applying a custom CMYK profile in photoshop for greyscale images, and set the Black Generation in the GCR to either Medium or High Density or Maximum Density. Anything and everything I throw thru it in a hurry, and just run on either of my printer's default "profiles on" settings, looks amazing. A true greyscale, that a LOT of your standard profiles will interpret images as reddish/blue'ish/green'ish greys, as it comes out 90% black-only but still utilizes the CMYlmlc to soften the gradients.
    edited to add: if I want greyscale-only, and not just rich blacks/greys of the original image, i'll start by converting the image to greyscale, and then save the final image as custom cmyk with HighGCR.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1