• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

black/green print

signgirl71

I know there are plenty of variables here, but hopefully someone out there knows where I am coming from and can give me a "quick fix". I am using a sp300, using 3951RA. I feel like I have tried everything from outputing out of corel in CMYK to changing the profiles I am using (oracal profile and home made profiles-even tried other profiles from different vendors). Everytime I print a gradient of black or anything with silver in it - it comes out looking green. I don't really know anything about the color correction curves but I even fooled with them. Can anyone out there help???? I have a big job I really need to get printed tonight and the last big job ended up all green tinged also. HELP!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this huge headache!
Chris

GK

Really isn't a quick fix. You will need to calibrate your computer to output the file properly by making a custom profile. This happens a lot of times when you use a "canned" profile that came with the machine or from a manufacturer's website.

Are you printing a vector file with a gradient? Sometimes during the RIP there is a color shift when using vector files from Corel / Illustrator with gradients in them.

signgirl71

Solid colored vectored text over a bitmapped image. Basically had to export it all out as a jpeg to bring into colorrip. I have a huge white/silver ladder on the image and it is looking basically green........ tried it as other files besides jpeg but all is green. I figure it's something in my profile but after changing the profile to a bunch of others-they are all tinged green......I'm sick of green!

ChiknNutz

That is typical of OEM profiles from Roland...too much YELLOW in the mix. This is most noticeable when printing neutral gray colors. Only way to really fix it is to create you own media profiles. If you simply drop your yellow component, all colors will subsequently be affected.

Goodgirl

Actually I might be able to help you with this, but you will have to give me your number so I can call you. There are a couple things you can do, but it's much easier if I talk you through it.

signgirl71

Okay, now I am trying a totally different approach. Instead of going from the output end of the profile (even though I am sure that's part of it)-I tried changing the input end of it. Less green more grey but still not getting it-but a big visual difference....Hubby sent ya over our number if you have any suggestions. What a headache.....

iSign

I had this problem with my Mimaki in the first weeks.

The way I do things now is true in 99% of all the jobs I print, & I'm not sure what I was doing differently back then, but I think both of these changes may be worth trying.

First, never save your files as CMYK... always save them as RGB.
I know this seems odd, printing to a CMYK printer... but almost everyone does this & I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet (although it does seem like the CMYK output you mentioned was a trouble shooting experiment, and not your normal M.O.)

Second, I never bother printing vector artwork, I almost always put the pieces together (vector lettering, laid over an image, in your case above) ... and them export as an RGB .tif file.

No more greens for me & I've never created my own profile... only using the "canned' ones.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a better, more professional & advanced way of doing things to make my own profiles... just saying I've never had to yet & I solved my green blacks problem.

signgirl71

Yeah, I don't usually export at CMYK either-it was a test. I'm trying your Tif experiment at this very moment. Still has to be something in my profiling somewhere though-will let ya know how the tif works out.

ChiknNutz

unSIGNed...though I don't doubt that it is working because clearly it is...but probably not for the reasons you may think. My hunch as to why it works is strictly based on how the RIP is handling the files. In a really tight workflow, the file type and/or color space used has very little to do with the output! The file type is merely a vehicle to hold the data and does not change the file itself. This is NOT to say that you aren't applying some settings (color space models, rendering intents, etc.) to the files, whether you mean to or know that it is occuring. The color space (RGB, CMYK, Pantone, LAB, etc.) does play a role in all this, but not as much as how the RIP is interpreting this whole mess. I'm guessing that your RIP simply is set to handle RGB bitmap images in a way that is more pleasing to you and what you expect.

I know this doesn't solve the problem at hand, but understand that there is a lot going on behind the scenes in the RIP process.

signgirl71

Well, that didn't work either... I do appreciate all the input and offers of help though. Anyone willing to give out a working profile-both input and output??? As we all know-it's never the computer, it's the operator. And this operator is getting at wits end here...... Maybe signs101 should get an online or over the phone 24 hour service help line/email. Boy they could make the money with me......

ChiknNutz

Based on your first question, you have made your own profiles...right? If so, are you just not skilled enough to pull it off to your satisfaction? Do you have a spectrophotometer then? If so, maybe someone could assist you in making a good working media profile. You need to list what equipment you are using so folks can better assist you as the profiles are very specific to each combination (printer brand & model, media, inkset, RIP, design software, spectrophotometer, etc.). I know you've provided some of this already.

ChiknNutz

Just for kicks, try setting them to "Optimized for Professional Output". This is not exactly what I use, but it is based on it.

totalimage

**** Bump***** Signgirl71 and myself are still looking to solve this problem...Anyone out there that might be able to help tonight ????

javila

"Quick" fix for now would be to print a bunch of "blacks" with different cmyk or rgb balances and see which will get you by on this job. Then apply that black mixture to the overall design.

Rodan68

A couple of things you may try in Flexi: Rip the file, then open it in Production Manager. Go to the curves tab and push the magenta curve up a little. That should neutralize the green a little. Make sure the preview box is checked so you can see the changes in window. Or you can print without color correction. I've noticed when this is done only the black ink will be used. The gradients may not look as good but at least you won't have the CMY changing the tint. In Flexi you can select a color and turn off the color correction for that color only, that way the rest of the design won't be affected.

signsnowphilly

maybe you have solved this problem already but..
when I have that problem i usually go in and manually color correct in preflight.
( i dont have a roland )
i usually even out the c m y k like if its gray 35 35 35 etc.