• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black printing question?

landdesigns

When printing graphics the Black doesn't seem as black as it should be, using coreldraw and using the pantone coated colors pallette. Being a new owner of the Versacamm I'm sure it me doing somethng wrong or not using the right color pallette.

:thankyou:

iSign

I had printed some weak (& greenish) blacks when I first started printing. What I started doing was setting my cmyk values so that in addition to 100% black, I wanted to set cyan, yellow and magenta to print also. even 100% of each, although I think someone here said 40% or 60% was enough... I just go with 100% of everything.

Another thing I changed from the early days, although I don't recall if it had an effect on blacks... I used to export .tiff files as CMYK. Now everything is saved as RGB. This is also common among almost everyone else here who has been in any discussions I have seen about this.

javila

As I understand if you send a cmyk file with 100% black the printer is gonna print the black accordingly (just with the ink limits). Likewise with a "rich" black. So you need to input the c,m,y values in.

RGB of 0,0,0 get me deep blacks which are like 80 % of each color(cmyk).

Sign Works

RGB 0,0,0 gives me a very satisfactory rich black (not grey, muddy brown, or greenish black). This is printing out of Versaworks RIP using Roland or Oracal profiles and Oracal media on my Versacamm.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This has far more to do with your rendering intents than just what secret formula you fancy for black. If you set your rendering intents for everything except bitmaps to 'Spot', or 'Saturation' if your software doesn't support 'Spot', and use a simple 0.0.0.100 for black, all will be fine.

Be sure and set the rendering intent for bitmaps to 'Perceptual'. That way you provide proper color correction for bitmaps and minimize it for other object types. This is usually considered to be a Good Thing.

There's nothing unblack about 0.0.0.100, in fact it's the truest printing color you have. The problem is the color correction mechanism interpreting what it thinks is black, which can be good for a laugh.

lav

This is a common cmyk issue across the board I thought it was common knowledge that 30,20,10,100 will always give you a richer black as opposed to 0,0,0,100 whether you are printing with large format, offset or digital. Having all values 100% gives you a nice black yes but can sometimes create problems with bleeding with fine lines etc

Ken

Versacamm sp300, colorip2.2, max inks,RGB palette.. corel black exported as tiff or eps useing RGB mode gives me a good deep black.
Cheers!
Ken

Kelvyn

In print I always used 40 cyan, 100 black for a strong black.
Not played about with blacks on the grenadier 2 yet though.

threeputt

Where do you change the cmyk values , Versworks?

:thankyou:
Not aware of any place within the RIP program itself (others may enlighten me) but when assigning fill colors, I just go 25,25,0,100 for a deep black. Going 100,100,100,100. would also work I suppose but why waste the extra ink. Also, that's a lot of ink going down. Might affect drying times.

ChiknNutz

Depends on your RIP, but in Wasatch you can assign any color it encounters to be any color you wish. What I've done is to simply tell it to use a similar combo of ALL colors whenever it "sees" CMYK 100% black. My particular CMYK value of choice for a "rich black" is C30 M20 Y20 K100 (if it is assigned in the design program). However, and I forget why it is this way, all values in Wasatch are actually 2.55 times whatever CMYK value you'd normally see. So, this equate to approx. C75 M51 Y51 K255 for the actual setting in Wasatch SoftRip.

petepaz

another setting you can change is when you are setting up the file in versa works
goto quality then towards the bottom is color management option
change the us prepress to us max density