• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blade Position and Downforce

Almightees70

New to the business, and yes I bought a Master cutter, just something to get started to make sure I could get enough business to make it worth my while, planning on upgrading later. When installing a new blade, what position should the blade be in reference to the cutter itself? I'm now just sticking it in the holder with no rhyme or reason and going with it. And what about down force? Right now, I'm going to be using calendered and cast vinyl. How much down force should I use and when, if at all, should I increase?

Techman

When installing a new blade, what position should the blade be in reference to the cutter itself?
Sorry, I dotn know anything about your cutter.
Why don't you go back to the place you bought this from and have them give you technical support?

You paid a low price for this thing and now you have to ask others to get you up and running. This is sad. That company transfered their tech support costs to every one else including the members of this forum and left you in a lurch.

chopper

I am not totally familiar with your cutter, but you will need to set the blade so it just sticks out of the blade holder it dose not matter which direction the blade is facing it will rotate in the blade holder and follow the cut head this is true with all drag knife machines, the only ones that it matters with are the true tangental machines that pick up the blade and turns it when it makes a corner, the gram force I think you should start at arround 70-80 for 2-mil high performance films, and 80-85 for the 2.5-mil medium range films once you have the settings set above you should do a test cut depending on your software you may or may not have a test cut option, you could also have a test cut option on the cutters menu, if not create a square about 1/2 in size and set a circle or triangle etc, inside of that square and cut it on your vinyl,
then weed the bigger square and see if it leaves the smaller squaer or what ever object you have used, they should come apart cleanly, then remove the inside object and check the cut line it should be indented int the backing paper but not cutting into it, you will need to adjust blade depth and pressure till you get the desired results, good luck//chopper

Kysparky

Very well put chopper. I would bet if the facts be known quite a few members here have the lower end cutters or started out with one.

gpzjack

I have the same cutter...i start with the downforce around 95 and it works well. The blade should be just barely out the end of the holder...do a test cut and see how far its cutting thru...just thru the vinyl and barely marking the backer is what you want.

I just upgraded to a vinyl express q60 and i can tell you ...its like going from a kia to a ferrari , but i can't knock the master cause it got me started and made me a good bit of money.