• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bleed?

asd

I did some prints for someone else to install, they gave me the dimensions and asked for the prints to have a bleed so I did a 1/2" bleed all the way around, then I get a call saying the prints are too short that they need to have at least 1.5" bleed, my question is what would be consider a reasonable bleed amount 1/4", 1/2", 1" or 1.5" like the customer is asking? to me 1/2" its more than enough for a bleed on a print anything bigger than that needs to be added to the price of material.

CanuckSigns

It depends on what the prints are being used for, if thry are being mounted to a substrate (ACM etc. ) a 0.5" bleed is more than enough, if it's a wall graphic in an older building I can see needing a 1.5" bleed, however that information should have been given to you, for them to say "add bleed" and expecting you to add 1.5" is not reasonable

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a tough one. They gave you the viewing and end size and only asked for a bleed. If it wasn't discussed, that's kinda your fault for not getting the proper size, but for them to figure you'd know to put 1.5" all around is kinda dumb. Normal bleeds are generally used like a gripper edge. 1/4" is our normal, but I've gone to 3/8" for some, but it was discussed in full up front. It might just boil down to their installers can't do their job properly and want lotsa sh!t factor room.

BigNate

Dang! you guys all waste media - I set my bleeds to 0.1" on all posters and banners... 1.5" is just nuts! "bleed" is just supposed to be a little sacrificial printing so that you can cut through it and have a bleed on the final piece - if they are asking for 1.5" to go beyond the final artwork, then they need larger artwork!

a bleed is simply ink to the edge of the cut sheet - any image beyond where your equipment can accurately cut is just a waste. if you have a 1/128" float in your equipment, a 1/32" bleed should be plenty. 1/4" is total gravy!

damonCA21

He isn't talking about a bleed around an item for cutting - I typically use 1.5mm for this. This is a bleed around the ordered size of a printed sheet so the fitters have more to work with to fit to wherever they are putting it ( so room for error lining it up )

White Haus

Not a Newbie
these were to be used on windows and to me 1/2" is more than plenty, it seems to me that who ever measured the window panels was to lazy to get an accurate measurement

Yeah you don't want much more than than on windows, otherwise it makes things more difficult. Maybe they did the ol' "all the the windows will be the same" trick and the gaskets weren't consistent.

Is this a company that you hired to install for you, or they hired you to print only? If it's the latter, they should've supplied files with whatever "bleed" they wanted. As far as I know, there is no RIP on the market that's going to add correct 1.5" bleeds that will be helpful.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
"Bleed"is too me a relative term, if my vehicle installers ask for bleed on say a ProMaster or some vehicle with decent recesses I know they're talking like 5" Top and Bttm, If the large format room is asking for bleed on a direct print flatbed piece I know they're talking .125" all around, if they're asking for something to be printed on SAV then mounted I know they're talking .25" Left/Right/Top, all relative! :)

For a window graphic instal or some other graphic instal I usually ask if it's to be cut back or add bleed and if so how much as that's their install style preference. Either way it's all calculated to overall cost.

signheremd

On a window graphic we only allow 3/8" bleed all around: 1.5 inch is ridiculous and a sign that the widows were no measured. That much extra material makes the corners much harder to apply and trim.

Now on a panel for a wrap, we leave several inches to make it easier to line up panel and to give you something to hold on to should you need to stretch the vinyl.

gnubler

these were to be used on windows and to me 1/2" is more than plenty, it seems to me that who ever measured the window panels was to lazy to get an accurate measurement
That's what I always go with. Measure the window width then add 1/2" just for some wiggle room of material. Trim with straight edge after it's installed.
Are you talking about edge bleed or a seam for multiple panels?

gnubler

Whenever I'm measuring windows I measure them all, even if they're "supposed" to all be the same size. Sometimes they differ by 1/2" or so.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Whenever I'm measuring windows I measure them all, even if they're "supposed" to all be the same size. Sometimes they differ by 1/2" or so.
This was a "fun" one to do. We were told they were all the same size, they were not. It worked though. This was taken halfway through the install
1690476340413.png

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
then I get a call saying the prints are too short
Are you sure the printer is actually calibrated accurately to deliver the size you're expecting for the material being used? I've never encountered a large format printer to make a print too long, only too short. They've always required a measured calibration factor for compensation. Especially during these times of material supply troubles, periodic checks of such are a good practice.