• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blown Headboard

Jack Knight1979

I just rebuilt my 2nd headboard today. I lost two heads on my 745 and traced it to a bad black printhead and a blown transistor on the headboard.

This happened once before and I needed two new heads and a head board. (according to Roland)

This time I needed a $6.00 transistor and $4.00 head fuse and a new printhead.

I'm feeling pretty good about the repair today. Saved 3 grand going this route.

Just thought I'd share in my success. I've seen other guys with this problem on signs101.

Find the cause ..not just the "cure". You may have had loose connections in the cable cards to the heads, or to the board. If you've gone through 2 head board you have other issues that cause the blown board. And, ALWAYS unplug the printer before you do ANY electrical work...a note for all others.

Jack Knight1979

I checked all the head cables and they were fine. My black head started crapping out that morning so I had my suspicions.

I don't know if the cause was the headboard failing popping my head or head blowing popping the headboard.

No ink hit the head circuits, so that was not the cause.

I found that when I was checking ohms on the transistors (headboard) all of the transistors were loose on the head board.(from Roland) I'm thinking improper construction of the board finally caused the transistor to overhead and cause failure.

Basically each bank of transistors coincides with a head. The bank that had a blown transistor was on the black head. Which made sense as the head was dropping out that morning.

The last time this happened Roland had me replace the board and both heads in that fuse bank as "they don't know which head was the cause". total BS because I traced it to black just using an o-meter.

A new transistor was soldered on, dropped in a new head, replaced the headboard fuse, and aligned the head. I'm back in business.

That's it.

Last edited: