• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bluetooth - anybody doing it ?

Buddy

Is anyone using bluetooth connections between their computer design station and equipment such as plotters and printers ?

BUDDY

mbarden

Not really worth the trouble. Short distance and not very fast. Might as welluse something like Linksys wireless adapter.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

Buddy

My plotter has parallel & serial (RS232C) ports only. No USB. Is there a wireless defice that will create a connection directly between my laptop and the plotter ? I don't think so.

jiarby

Run a wire if you can... faster & more reliable. Those wireless & USB external print servers continually lose connections. You can get an old HP Jet Direct ethernet print server for about $25 anywhere with up to three parallel ports on it. Then, if you HAD TO, you could attach a 802.11 Wireless Bridge to it, but I'd run a cable.

John Butto

bluetooth

I use a Palm TX with bluetooth and a GPS buetooth device, good up to 10' away, but to run a device such as a plotter or large inkjet you do not transfer information as you say in a large amount quickly such as a cable does and then let the plotter take over. Bluetooth is design for streaming information at contuinous time on small devices such as phones, PDA's, keyboards, mice etc. They do make bluetooth USB port plugins and I wish you luck in trying to get a plotter to run efficiently. If you want to go wireless look into WIFI by plugging your plotter or printer into a wireless router and your WIFI computer which is fairly simple.

Buddy

thanks guys.....I think I got the picture.

Basically........it won't work like I was thinking anyway. Especially since bluetooth is more for streaming data vs. off loading bulk data.

I think I'll drop that idea.