• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Lettering - Critique

artsnletters

i think it looks good...fine tune the kerning and stroke widths. I really don't think it needs the flourish underneath. As far as the hand painting goes...CHEAT. Design and layout on the computer and cut a mask with all the outlines. Use a small foam roller for the main color, airbrush wet on wet if you are shading, unmask outlines. Let it dry for a while, use a quill and finish outlines/secondary copy. Peel rest of mas while tacky. DONE. Collect $$$! Advantage to rolling main copy is a nice film build of one-shot that will last longer and not show brush strokes as it ages. What colors do you plan to use. Some one shot colors suck more than others. Last thing lettering a boat in the water is no fun charge for this service!!
Tim

Jesse_gvi

Yes, thanks for all the tips!

Heck no, This'll be on dry land. And I've since learned that the bracket at the back will stay there, unless they want to turn their sailboat into a rowboat. So I might be painting this 3 times: a small one on the rear to the side of the bracket (port of hail where it normally goes) and one on either side of the hull. As you can see from the pic, that's quite an angle on the side, which I'm assuming adds a bit of difficulty.

I got a positive response when I sent it (without the city), but they asked about a burgundy drop shadow. :covereyes: I'm trying to keep it black and silver.

Jesse_gvi

I added some color and came up with a figurehead. I was skeptical of how "piratey" burgundy would look, but I think I like this better than just black and silver.

Attachments

• relentless_rear.jpg
    relentless_rear.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 68
  • relentless_lionhead.jpg
    relentless_lionhead.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 60
  • relentless_sides.jpg
    relentless_sides.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 64

Jesse_gvi

I think that's the exact link they sent me when they told me they bought the boat. Someone wrote the new name in a log somewhere and something bad happened to the keel. I hope it's not fully "acursed" just yet.

Jesse_gvi

Here's the finished product (finally). It ended up not being painted, just a print on IJ180, applied while hanging upside-down. The more I looked at it after I printed it, the more I was worried about legibility from a distance, but I think it looks just fine.

Attachments

• Relentless_decalapplied.jpg
    Relentless_decalapplied.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 66