Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Registration Numbers Complaint...for real???

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Stacey K, May 21, 2020.

1. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    I'm sure it's not enough of a difference that will cause any issue for them on the water. However every time I set up any font, I never use the overall size, I base the sizing on the X-height of the letter, and let the customer know that the round letters will go above and below that. We've run into that issue on a set of channel letters (not my setup) that showed like 12", but that was the overall height, not the X height. Customer ended up measuring a flat letter and of course they're going to be about 1/4" shorter than the round ones. That was enough of a difference for them to not pay. We have since included that language in our sign-offs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Only remade registrations a couple times. Not because anything was wrong but because the clients were causing "issues" on the water. Ooops.

Truth to tell most of the registrations I make are technically illegal by DNR standards. S'posed to be 3" tall, block letters and black in color. IIRC minimum stroke width is 0.250"

20 years ago I used to airbrush the vinyl for trick effects. Today it's digital prints.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    The color stipulation is that it has to be contrasting; black numbers on a dark boat will be kind of hard to read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Yup. Been so long since I've done a plain registration I forgot. Last one I did was for a cigarette boat. Client wanted flames so that's what he got.

5. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    Here's my input: my shop is just in front of a big boat/atv/motorcyle dealer. I'm asked to do their numbers like 2-3 hours before the final delivery to their customers. We simplified the process by always doing the numbers in the same font and only white or black depending on background color. Sure I can do WAY better job but as it's always needed for yesterday, I told 'em it's that's the way it's gonna be or you go wherever you want, it's not my core business (I'm in vehicle graphics, wide format, mostly on big rigs).

As for the 3" requirement, for boats it's not a problem but on SeaDoo, 3" might be too much due to physical usable space on body. I'd say that most of the watersport toys get 2½" x 18" numbers and NEVER got a single complain... BUT... it's a matter of readability. Some fonts at half the expected size read better than script ones at +3" so work wisely with this in mind. Myriad Bold is simply easier for the eyes than Murray Hill... No need to get a degree in marketing to figure this out...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Whenever I have to make size compliant letters/numbers I always make them around a 1/8" taller than
    spec'd & have never had an issue.
    A little off topic; One weird thing about boat ID here in Mississippi is they start with MI, not the MS abbreviation.

7. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We do these quite often. I use a corel macro that will "average" the height to a desired input.
    We've had many request smaller size, crazy fonts and Such We make them sign a waiver knowing damn well they're not compliant. Boat people = "I have money and don't care"

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I always set up registration and DOT numbers based on the cap height of the letters, not the height of letters with ascenders and descenders. That way you always meet the minimum required height.

This also sounds to me like an excuse for a free replacement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    We also do the same.
    Typically a capitalized "I" works great, make the desired height, and everything else will be golden

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    That's weird! What do they start with in Michigan I wonder...

11. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    MC
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    USCG is MI for Mississippi and MC for Michigan