• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boo... Grimco won't be carrying Oracal

Bigdawg

Just Me
Well.. just ordered the last of the Oracal 3651 that I'll be using... We used to order it from Proveer, but was informed last week that Oracal will not be continuing their contract with Grimco - meaning no Oracal material from them. What they have on the shelves is what they have. No more to come...

I have been a die-hard Oracal fan for printing. But I'm not going to start ordering from someone else that I don't want to do business with.

So I have a dilemma. What do I do??? By the time I pay for shipping and full off-the-shelf-no-relationship-pricing from other vendors - the pricing hasn't been worth it.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the best comparable vinyl might be? I tried the 3M IJ10 - but it shrunk up way too fast. That's what I loved about Oracal - it didn't shrink as fast as other vinyls and was well-suited to the Florida environment I used it in.

Boo.. hiss to Oracal for not continuing their Proveer relationship after it was bought by Grimco.

JERHEMI

I remember when I first got into the sign business 10 or so years ago Grimco carried Oracal. When I bought my first plotter they gave me a sample kit which included Oracal vinyl. Not much later than that I remember hearing from one of my Rep's at Grimco that Grimco is no longer going to carry Oracal anymore. I didn't really care much because I didn't use Oracal, and still don't because Grimco don't carry it. Anyways, my Rep made it sound like Grimco and Oracal had a falling out and that is why Grimco doesn't carry Oracal. So, to hear that Grimco still isn't going to carry Oracal after acquiring Proveer doesn't surprise me. There probably is some "behind the scenes" permanent issues going on between both companies.

ICeMAnAbk

I'd check if you have a small supplier in your local metro. I've got a tiny one here in Omaha, it's hidden. They have excellent prices. Cheaper then the internet and will cut by the yard whatever I need. Every Oracal type on stock w/ a full spectrum of colors. Oh, and they got 1Shot Enamels, so they're on my good list.

I'd try shopping locally, especially as a fellow Oracal user, I wouldn't want to switch to Avery or 3M. However, if you insist on a bigger company, SignWarehouse had a 5 roll special not too long ago on Oracal series vinyls. I was going to originally buy from them but after checking the local supplier out, I found my best source to be 10mins away with the best deal.

Grimco... I dunno anyone else's feelings on this company, but a lot of their stuff is overpriced, the custom blanks I've ordered in the past aren't good quality (the paint looks clumpy), and expensive. I ended up using Wrisco for blanks after that and been satisfied since. The rest of the odds and ends I was purchasing from TubeLite out of NJ (they have multi locations in the US though) fairly priced, and my delivery guy was pretty awesome. Any mistakes with the order, I had a rush delivery next day to fix their error. Needless to say, they don't screw up and if they do they make good on it. Grimco, when I first started, wasn't as friendly.

HulkSmash

That's real dumb of oracle... Let me tell you. I don't get their move here.. silly in my opinion.

oracle does make the best intermediate vinyl.
The next best is ij35 from 3m.

It shrinks as well.. just not as bad as their ij10.

~170 a roll.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you try Feller's ??

We have a local supplier that doesn't handle it, but can get it in at no additional costs. The catch is, it takes an additional day for drop shipping.

We get ours from Glantz and at a very good price I might add. Maybe you might consider re-visiting Glantz and let by-gones be by-gones and start fresh..... maybe with even better prices than before.

Lately, Glantz has become very aggressive and is willing to give some really good numbers.

tsgstl

will not do. Ever.

why not? That's what we are going to start doing. They just opened up a branch in St. Louis. But I am open to knowing if it is a bad move.

As far as the reason I said in a previous thread I can only think that they would move in to the number one retailer for Oracal and that didn't set well for the current number 1?

just a confirmation that I have heard there is a ton of politics involved with this issue..on multiple levels,the ones mentioned above as well as vinyl manufacturers not overly excited about a company with such a wide range of brands.

I have a few solutions for you Stacy next time we talk, I'll even take you to Black Creek,Georgia & introduce you if need be..they/oracal are a great company to work with & if my ideas or others don't pan out I would bet they have something reasonable already in place in your relatively local,there is no way they will just let that entire market disappear...& if they did I'd be in there begging for a distibution opportunity :)

Bigdawg

Just Me
why not? That's what we are going to start doing. They just opened up a branch in St. Louis. But I am open to knowing if it is a bad move.

As far as the reason I said in a previous thread I can only think that they would move in to the number one retailer for Oracal and that didn't set well for the current number 1?

NGlantz violated the three strikes - you're out rule. We gave them every opportunity to earn out business. Bad experience from our local branch all the way around. And unfortunately I just don't want to deal with them again any time soon. Maybe in a couple years when the employees that are there now might be gone...

I'd forgotten Fellers ships free over $100 so that will be my backup plan.

Bigdawg

Just Me
just a confirmation that I have heard there is a ton of politics involved with this issue..on multiple levels,the ones mentioned above as well as vinyl manufacturers not overly excited about a company with such a wide range of brands.

I have a few solutions for you Stacy next time we talk, I'll even take you to Black Creek,Georgia & introduce you if need be..they/oracal are a great company to work with & if my ideas or others don't pan out I would bet they have something reasonable already in place in your relatively local,there is no way they will just let that entire market disappear...& if they did I'd be in there begging for a distibution opportunity :)

Yeah - I heard a bit about the politics - but as an end-user I frankly don't care :smile:

Just got off the phone with Fellers. They will be our new supplier - boy do things go full circle. They used to be the ones with the highest price...

FatCat

Yeah - I heard a bit about the politics - but as an end-user I frankly don't care :smile:

Just got off the phone with Fellers. They will be our new supplier - boy do things go full circle. They used to be the ones with the highest price...

The thing you have to keep in mind about Fellers is that you have to ask your "local" rep for discounts below the catalog prices - the "phone" rep can't do it. So make a list of the things you use most often and contact your local rep and ask him/her to quote you their best price on those items.

*Also, remember you need to call by 4pm to make sure it gets on the truck for next day delivery (where available).

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
The thing you have to keep in mind about Fellers is that you have to ask your "local" rep for discounts below the catalog prices - the "phone" rep can't do it. So make a list of the things you use most often and contact your local rep and ask him/her to quote you their best price on those items.

*Also, remember you need to call by 4pm to make sure it gets on the truck for next day delivery (where available).

I could be wrong, but I do believe fellers will price match without getting your local rep on the phone.

Signwarehouse.com offers Oracal too.