• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bookkeeper Sign Layout - Layout Help

briankb

Premium Subscriber
This sign is to replace an existing sign. The owner is our bookkeeper and she apparently paid another local sign guy a $250 deposit. Shortly after she paid the deposit the sign guy went to jail. I'm not sure if he is still there but she said it wasn't worth trying to pursue a refund.

Anyway, I told her I would give it a try and these are my first two versions. I tried to push the "Accounting Services" as the primary focus but she uses her name first in yellow page ads and letterhead so I changed it to the second design with her name first.

Feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

I want to use the existing sign and post, but open to other suggestions.

I've attached a blank version to make any suggested layouts easier to create.

Attachments

• Jamie-Reed-Sign-A.jpg
    Jamie-Reed-Sign-A.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Jamie-Reed-Sign-B.jpg
    Jamie-Reed-Sign-B.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Jamie-Reed-Sign-Blank.jpg
    Jamie-Reed-Sign-Blank.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Well being she uses her name in yellow pages 2nd one

I would still tighten up the copy such as getting phone # off bottom of sign & stretching like with a font that is low & wide use the shape to add space'

Then move Accounting line closer to name, curious do ya need services , also to a font that is low & wide if font could be changed.

..I like the font for her name, the general layout, shape of sign, use of panel, just seems the strength is not there.

Just my 2 cents

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Craig!

Services has to be a part of the name as in "Jamie Reed Accounting Services" but if you are talking about the bullet points. I considered removing services from those but some need it for the item to make sense.

The font used is Billhead 1890 and 1900 (mixed) from Letterhead Fonts. Which makes even my attempts so much better :)

I'll try to find another font that works but is also low and wide as you suggested.

She expressed some disappointment in her current sign. So I told her they should last around 5-7 years. She confirmed it was 7 years old. The current sign is only slightly peeling on a few letters.

And I mentioned to her about getting one hand painted so it will last longer. So if you want to shoot me a PM with a quote, I will be happy to give her that option. She wants a two sided sign, same on both. If you paint one for her, you should probably design it as well :)

visual800

sign is off balance. The lettering at top is light and the phone number is light and you have this large bold black box in middle that attracts all the attention. The phone number on the 2nd one is just too large especially for the type of work she does and its too far down on the sign

The most important subject on this sign is accounting services, the rest is not that important. there are too many items in box listed, maybe try and lessen those.

Attachments

• jamie.jpg
    jamie.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76

briankb

Premium Subscriber
sign is off balance. The lettering at top is light and the phone number is light and you have this large bold black box in middle that attracts all the attention. The phone number on the 2nd one is just too large especially for the type of work she does and its too far down on the sign

I agree and I like your version of the bullets and her name. I didn't think of a script for her name.

Here's a version using your example and suggestions.

Attachments

• Jamie-Reed-Sign-visual800-style.jpg
    Jamie-Reed-Sign-visual800-style.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 144

geb

On your second I would lower Jamie etc line. I would use a bolder serif font for Accounting etc line. I don't like the look of the panel, I personally would try to make it more rectangularish, fancy if it works. The phone # at bottom needs some work, doesn't look like it follows the path right and maybe a little distorted. I also would try an inner thin border on the sign edge, making shore to leave enough negative space for lettering to breath. Keep in mind these are only my personal preferences.

Edit, while I was writing my post you posted a new design, there are some things I like, I don't care for the Jaime font though. Also, there is alot of white on the sign, I think that needs to be lessoned.

George

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I hate the sign panel but I'm trying to avoid having to make a new one.

Last edited:

Tiki

Font Sage
Try a panel for the bottom copy
and make Accounting a little bigger

Attachments

• 1aaas.jpg
    1aaas.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 91

briankb

Premium Subscriber
thanks for all the input so far i like the version inspired by visual800 the best.
(see post #5 above)

@tikiboyz - I like the idea but I can't find a way to make that work.

slappy

what about a different color and another small panel attached to it for the services offered?

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Likes this thread so many good ideas, they all look great , well done Briankb in keeping it going positive.

There are several excellent sign painters up N. FL. but thank you & vinyl does last well enough besides quick & easy.

royster13

This is one of my favourite things I like about Signs 101......Love to see creativity in action.....Thanks....

briankb

Premium Subscriber
@craig - thanks, like you and almost all of the regulars helping me on this thread today. I've seen so many ask for help and just get offended that their version wasn't the best! Which is crazy. As we can see from all of these examples, there is plenty of creativity and variation to go around!

@slapakiss - your 1st purple/navy? one is really cool. thanks!

She asked me to use the "green" on her letterhead but it's not letterhead other than the crappy template she must have picked from vistaputa or something similar. It's quite horrible. I'm trying to push her to get a new stationary package so maybe I can sneak another color in there.

@Pat - that's really nice indeed! thanks!

Thanks again to everyone. I've been on here for a long time but I usually don't get to design anything. This thread and all the examples really shows a lot of variety.

@Billct2 - awesome idea! I scratched my head for a while Friday trying to think of some symbol for her. Her last sign had a inkwell... which I found odd and didn't bother to reuse.

Changing the divider from Pat's suggestion into a pencil could be the trick.

-------------

So all I have at my disposal now is a 24" vinyl cutter. I can layer but it's never fun or remotely fast. If I go with something like Pat's idea, adding the pencil, would that best be printed full color and just applied to a stripped and repainted sign panel?

Should it be roll laminated from the printer or should I spray coat it after it's applied to help seal the edges? Finally how long will a good quality full color vinyl w/laminate or UV coating last?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help and I'm sure Jamie will be much happier with the upgraded design on Monday :)

briankb

Premium Subscriber
the more I look at all of these examples the harder this is going to be for ME to pick one or two to show her monday!

I really like the white/green version from slapakiss, especially if I can find someone within her budget to hand paint it. I have no idea what her budget it yet and I have even less of an idea of how much it would cost to contract out the sign to be hand painted. I know I would be very proud of it and she probably would as well.

I also like Pat's design especially if we change the divider to a pencil with the sharpened tip going through the dropped g. That would be very cool and probably a lot easier since it would be printed.