• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boom lift on ice?

chachimacho

I have to hang six banners at a hockey rink. The problem is, the only real access I'll have to hang said banners, is to do it from the ice. Has anyone ever run a boom lift on ice?

This is not my expertise and I would love to sub it out, but the company I work for likes to save money by not hiring experts. Thoughts?

skyhigh

I don't think I would sweat it. Living in Toledo, I'm sure you have had your truck on the ice before....just not on a rink. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously tho....you won't find any flatter ground. You won't have a problem.

chachimacho

Ask the rink what? Since we are "the experts" the rink owner assumes we know what we are doing. The salesman gives them the "don't worry about it!" schpeel and then dumps the project into my lap. I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as I can to cover my butt.

Billct2

I'm a (kinda) a sign expert, not an ice expert.
And even what works in one rink may not be allowed in another.
Have you talked to the rink manager about scheduling the install?
That alone can be an issue.

chachimacho

Yea, I think the install has been scheduled. Now, I have to figure out the how. Backwards, I know, but that's how they operate!

signage

I think your boss is putting the cart in front of the horse! You are going to need to know if you can operate a gasoline or diesel engine indoors or are you going to need propane or electric! This is why you need to talk to the rink owner/manager!

BobM

I would think the footprint of the bucket truck would be similar to the Zamboni the ice rinks use. About the same weight. Check with the rink manager first.

Sticky Signs

Last time I did a similar job, one of the ice rink employees told me he would do the "over ice" installs because that was part of his job. Your rink may have someone that does the same.

John L

I drove one of our bucket trucks onto the ice at a local rink to install banners twice.

I would definately ask the rink manager (the one who signed your agreement that stated they are responsible for any damage). I know some rinks are made with frozen water, embeded refrigerant lines, and a bed of SAND below.

I am no rink expert. I believe the water freezes into the sand somewhat also but I never liked the idea of driving the trucks over ice on sand with expensive refrigerant lines inside.

The rink manager is the one who will look at your plan and say go or no.

Craig Sjoquist

you don't have much choice ...if indoors no gas or diesel engine running allowed ..safety ..unless you put exhaust tubes off exhaust pipes leading several feet outdoors

so electric boom or scissor lift

start slow, move slow, handling heavy what ever block wheels with spiked grip so it's weight does not move you

chachimacho

Thanks for all of the input, guys! Now I can go to the salesman, "project manager", and rink owner and give them some good info.

Bradster941

Make sure you have a couple mil $$ worth of insurance even if you do get the manager to sign off on it.

The refrigeration lines are only a couple inches under the surface. You crush those and the rink is down for weeks. (loss of Biz = $$$) + (repairs)... CYA

Want to know how they are made and what is what ?
Watch sections 3, 4, and 5.... (about a 1 1/2 hours but educational).

Best bet is to get the engineering companies sign off on doing this, not the rink manager.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6330237998729062913#