• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought an iPad.. now what?

cdiesel

What do you guys have as far as apps go? Any good/bad reviews? Here's what we're specifically looking to do:

Use it to take to client meetings to show off our portfolio.
Take notes at the meetings.
Check email & sync to Outlook Calendar.
Use for travel--Netflix or iTunes?

Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can you use an ipad to boost the signal on an iphone 4 so you can make a call?

wayne k
guam usa

Barber

Two that I use for business are ACT Printer & I Books. ACT Printer let's you print from your design computer to your I-Pad. I Books is a great way to show your design (import as a PDF). Another one is RGB Colors. For my own info I use Weather Station and Fast Foods. Have fun with your I-Pad.

SignManiac

Digital portfolio primarily, surfing the net, crossword puzzles, and Ibooks. Lots of other time wasting apps but I enjoying doing mindless things when I'm not working. I just like gadgets.

GP

now you buy skinny jeans and some black rimmed glasses and hang out at the coffee shop.

Joe Diaz

I was one of those guys that was following all the buzz/leaked info about the iPad before it came out. But I have to tell you. I will probably have to wait for a later version before I get one. I would like to see a few of the following things happen before I get one.

Hand writing recognition. With hand writing recognition I could see the ipad taking the place of our work orders here at the shop. We go through a lot of paper and are constantly losing these work orders. It would be cool if we could fill out a work order on the touch screen, and then save them to our server/network. Then we wouldn't have to track down a piece of paper, but instead do a search for that order.

I would also like to see a stylus and pressure sensitive screen, which would be great for illustrating. What would be the cherry on top would be if Corel came out with a Corel Painter app.

I would also like to see apple give in and put flash on the iPad. I realize that HTML 5 is coming along, but it might take a long time for rest of the internet to catch up with that trend, and for the time being, you can't see "All the world's websites in your hands" like advertised.

If not those, then I would like to see a price drop. Otherwise a cheaper netbook is more appealing to me. I don't really need a touchscreen to watch movies, listen to music or surf the net, and at least I would be able to view all of the net. I'm not really in to the whole kindle/reading books on a lcd screen either.

But I'm glad the iPad has become so popular. Hopefully we will see more public interest in tablets, and you will begin to see real innovation and competition, which is good for us the consumers.

rfulford

Below is a list of the apps I have found useful so far:

ACT Printer - Great app that allows you to print from your desktop to your ipad

Adobe Ideas - A simple sketch pad.

Numbers - Apples spreadsheet for ipad - I find it a bit limited but it is great for keeping static information.

GoodReader - for reading PDF files

SkyGrid - A very interesting browser that news stories.

As far as built in apps go, I find I use Mail, Maps (with 3G) and ibooks the most

Techman

Also JAVE is not enabled. This locks out every java controled swebsite too. And it locks out all those who use websites with java access controls.
For example
Airlines flight crews (numbering in the tens of thousands) and over the road salespersons are completely locked out from accessing their company websites.

ProWraps

i love my ipad. use it everyday. its great when out on the road as i used to take my laptop. and i would never use it because i didnt want to have to boot it up, tether it, blah blah.

ipad i just push a button and im on, instantly. use it for google maps, emails, browsing, and some games.

i would never buy the NON 3g version though. it would be completely worthless.

Doyle

I was one of those guys that was following all the buzz/leaked info about the iPad before it came out. But I have to tell you. I will probably have to wait for a later version before I get one. I would like to see a few of the following things happen before I get one.

Hand writing recognition. With hand writing recognition I could see the ipad taking the place of our work orders here at the shop. We go through a lot of paper and are constantly losing these work orders. It would be cool if we could fill out a work order on the touch screen, and then save them to our server/network. Then we wouldn't have to track down a piece of paper, but instead do a search for that order.

I would also like to see a stylus and pressure sensitive screen, which would be great for illustrating. What would be the cherry on top would be if Corel came out with a Corel Painter app.

I would also like to see apple give in and put flash on the iPad. I realize that HTML 5 is coming along, but it might take a long time for rest of the internet to catch up with that trend, and for the time being, you can't see "All the world's websites in your hands" like advertised.

If not those, then I would like to see a price drop. Otherwise a cheaper netbook is more appealing to me. I don't really need a touchscreen to watch movies, listen to music or surf the net, and at least I would be able to view all of the net. I'm not really in to the whole kindle/reading books on a lcd screen either.

But I'm glad the iPad has become so popular. Hopefully we will see more public interest in tablets, and you will begin to see real innovation and competition, which is good for us the consumers.

Exactly my thoughts as well.... IMO the iPad is a toy for people who like to spend lots of money...

I have an iPod touch that can do almost all the same things (netflix app is coming soon) and fits in my pocket, for WORK, I use a Motion Computing tablet pc, which is a great little machine, just battery life does not compare. I can, however, do anything and everything on this tablet that I can do on my pc, AND take notes (has excellent handwriting recognition).

Aside from all of that, IF I had an ipad, I would probably make really nice portfolio presentation video, as well as many smaller, niched portfolios to show off to my customers.

Aside from that, I got nothing... sorry