• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box truck job

stonytoo

Last time, I got alot of advice about subbing larger jobs out. Well I have a client who wants signage for his box trucks and its definately a job Im looking to have subbed out. He wants to be able to change them out seasonally for marketing purposes. Lots of rivets on the trucks, like every foot there is a line of rivets which are spaced 6-8" apart vertically, so I recommended he go with a substrate, so the signs would be transferable and can be changed seasonally with ease to reflect his different services at different times of the year. what he wants is a nice landscape picture with his logo and info superimposed. The trucks are 12' box trucks, so I think putting a 5x10 board of substrate with some sort of border on there would look pretty decent since the visible part of the box would sort of look like a frame.

Rears of trucks have rolling doors(~12 inch segments), and a liftgate which obstructs the view of the rear, so only the upper half of the rolling doors are showing (about 7'x3'), how do you think those should be tackled?

What do you guys think overall? Also, Im looking to sub out entire job with install, and client is in CT, so Im looking for someone reputable there..any help?

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:

stonytoo

haha, I wish they were, especially since I do the graphics for the guy. But I did forget my disclaimer with the pic: for "you see what I mean" purposes only

stonytoo

I think you might want to look into something like this:
http://www.truckads.com/billboard_sizes.htm
a banner framing system that stays with the truck and you just change out the banner when the new promo needs to go up.

wayne k
guam usa

Thanks, while I do like that, he wants signs that are more durable and can be reused year to year for a min of 5 years. Signs would be mounted on trucks and changed out to alternate sign in late summer, then the other would be remounted the following spring. I figured vinyl and lam over a board like alumalite or dibond would be the best way to go since it would last longer than the canvas type substrates.

AUTO-FX

i did a job where i screwed aluminum u channel onto the truck with pan head self tappers and slid alumilite panels in. Drill large hole in outer edge and smaller hole in inside edge of u channel.VHB tape on back of channel holds it in place. screw self tapper into body through inside edge hole. screw on L channel endcaps to secure panels. works nicely. Blobs of silicone (dried before install) prevent rattling.

stonytoo

i did a job where i screwed aluminum u channel onto the truck with pan head self tappers and slid alumilite panels in. Drill large hole in outer edge and smaller hole in inside edge of u channel.VHB tape on back of channel holds it in place. screw self tapper into body through inside edge hole. screw on L channel endcaps to secure panels. works nicely. Blobs of silicone (dried before install) prevent rattling.

Nice, that sounds like what I was thinking. A semi permanent type deal, that wouldnt be to difficult to change out.

Im thinking about just outsourcing the printing and doing the install, anyone here print and ship? Prints would be ~ 30-36" wide x 120" one for each side.

Still thinking about how I would do the rear rolling doors, though.

andy

In the UK we have an annual vehicle inspection.... a home brew contraption with channels, silicone and teeny self tappers is a guaranteed fail..... possibly an instant prohibition notice.... prohibition as in you are banned from moving the vehicle due to it's unsafe condition.

Whilst I admire invention I also use the road network... I'd rather not encounter your piece of Dibond at a closing speed of 120mph.

Use the banner system.... it's safe, proven and used all over the world.

CheapVehicleWrap

Here in New Jersey next month... NO more motorcycle inspections. Vehicle inspections will be emissions ONLY.

As far as prohibition, we had that once too, now there's a liquor store on every corner.

petepaz

harbor sales just started selling those banner kits for the box trucks
and they are not too expensive

harborsales.net

stonytoo

In the UK we have an annual vehicle inspection.... a home brew contraption with channels, silicone and teeny self tappers is a guaranteed fail..... possibly an instant prohibition notice.... prohibition as in you are banned from moving the vehicle due to it's unsafe condition.

Whilst I admire invention I also use the road network... I'd rather not encounter your piece of Dibond at a closing speed of 120mph.

Use the banner system.... it's safe, proven and used all over the world.

If I was to go the dibond route, it wouldnt just be held on using the channels, it would be screwed into the trucks posts down the center of the dibond as well.

Circleville Signs

Still a bad decision.

Unless you have some way to keep air from getting behind the panel, at 70+mph, you've got a public danger issue on your hands.

Sometimes what the client wants, and what the client NEEDS are different. I realize he is trying to save money by being able to switch things out. Ask him if he can afford a multi-million dollar lawsuit when one of his panels decapitates a kid.

AUTO-FX

awe, for gawd's sake Andy, nobody's driving their box truck at 120MPH , but yes, the banner system is the way to go and that's why no one markets a channel/panel system ( but it worked fine for the landscaper trucks i did) :notworthy:

andy

If I was to go the dibond route, it wouldnt just be held on using the channels, it would be screwed into the trucks posts down the center of the dibond as well.

Screws aren't good enough, they will either pull through the Dibond, rip out of the truck body or just snap off.

Because the truck body isn't flat your Dibond will sit on the rivet heads creating a nice air gap which Circleville has already pointed out is the most serious hazard in this whole project.

Say you are overtaking this truck in your car... he's doing 70 you're doing 80mph.... when that Dibond comesflying off the body you need to combine the two speeds to get the impact speed.... 150mph. This is serious "killed instantly" territory.

My honest advice is to run with the banners (which he can store and reuse) or take a pass on the whole project.... it's just a bit too risky for comfort.

Not being from your country I don't know about insurance requirements but I know for certain that my business insurance would not cover this kind of project... this means if the worst were to happen all the costs would come out of my pocket. If you don't have several million dollars sitting about just in case then it's another reason to take a pass.

As for no one driving trucks a 120mph.... see my point on closing/ impact speeds and you'll see why it's not important... you can be doing 40mph in your truck... if the guy in the outside lane is doing 80 that equals a closing speed of 120mph right there.

AUTO-FX

he's right , stoney, do the banner thing. Besides Harbor, Signcomp sells the extrusion kits as well. Signcomp.com

mark galoob

i actually ran a call on an mva where a 4x8 sheet of plywood that was strapped down on the back of a flatbed semi that broke the strap, flew off and embedded into an oncoming vehicle front window coming very close to beheading the driver...heads up!!!

mark galoob

Letterbox Mike

Do the banner. If you're selling a project like this you should know better than to think rigid panels screwed to the side will not work. You're asking for a lawsuit.

We've done many banner track systems, when installed properly they will last 2-3 years minimum. If they need to be replaced, the banners will still cost less than the cost of replacing the rigid panels when they fly off. The banners will cost way less than the massive lawsuit you and your customer may face when they cause a 50 car pileup because you screwed a freakin' rigid sign to the side of a box truck.

stonytoo

Some good points made. the last thing I want is to be liable, so it will be the way to go. Anyone recommend a particular one? I took a look at the mentioned ones as well as a couple of others. Im leaning towards the akland frames.

Now I would need someone to print the banners....each side is roughly 135"x77", any recommendations on someone good?