• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Branding our vending machines...

klmjff

We are starting to print graphics for our many snack machines.

The snack machines we will be printing/laminating using 3M material and Graphtecing the curved "openings"(coin slot, front display, dispense opening, etc)

My question is, do I score the print on the plotter and then cut out on the table, or do I score, then apply the entire graphic, then cut out(carefully) after its applied to machine.

And I'm not talking about the edge cuts, only the openings.

This is only a front graphic(no sides) and its flat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do you have a photo of the vending machine face you will be applying to that you can post up?
I think it depends on what you need to cut away from the openings.
If they are simple rectangular cuts I'd apply and then cut.
If all of them are the same and you are set up to do contour cuts with your cutter it could be worth the time to get a template made up that has all the required openings and use your plotter to pre cut the openings - mask and install quickly.

wayne k
guam usa

klmjff

Here are a couple pics. There are curved cuts. Looks like they were contour cut before.

an I score thru Graphtec and cut out on table, then apply?

What do you think is best, and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 151

TXFB.INS

so I am thinking correct, the "blue" area is getting graphics and the "grey" area is staying the same?

if the door is being removed, then I would also remove the rubber seals around the openings. apply the graphics and then reinstall the rubber seals.

the issue we have had in the past is if you go ahead and do an exact contour size then you have to be exact on your installations. or if you oversize you still have to trim after the installations.
also when you leave it as a solid piece you make it easier to handle during the installation.

klmjff

So you suggest leaving it one whole piece and cutting out on the machine after its been applied?

Do you think I should score it first thru the graphtec?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looking at your photos if you have a sizeable quantity to get done I'd invest the time to get a good fitting template that will leave a small gap (1/16" or so) or so around all the cutouts and contour so you'll have a little leeway with the install.
Cutting that many openings on each by hand is going to be a waste of time.
Print - lam - plot - premask - install.

wayne k

TXFB.INS

any scoring / cutting you do through the backing will weaken/ make the installation process harder. That is if you are wanting to do the installation with zero seams.

if you don't mind seams then do it in sections and cut away on your graphtec

klmjff

Thanks Wayne!

When you say plot and premask, do you mean to cut all the way through on the plotter?

Premasking is applying transfer tape to the front, I get that part.

I'm just confused about the plotting part.

Jeff

petepaz

i have vending customer and do this all the time. i have done it both ways. so far the best is to put on one sheet and cut out as you go along. sometimes when you pre cut with the plotter the vinyl will stretch and the holes are off.

Attachments

• WOOD wrap.jpg
    WOOD wrap.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 149
  • vending.jpg
    vending.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 147

klmjff

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!

I am still confused about how to cut out the openings/curves?

Do I score on the Graphtec and do the final cut after I have applied it to the snack machine?

There can be NO seams, has to be all one piece.

Kwiksigns

wookie
why would you score it and then have to cut it out? That logic seems a little off. Your best bet would keep it as one piece and cut as you apply it like mentioned earlier.

klmjff

Look at the pic, its a curved cut. If cut by hand it will look bad.

I don't have contour cut abilities with my hands and I know no one else that is that perfect with cutting.

Does this make sense?

Yea that makes sense but were trying to understand why you are scoring the material? WHy not cut all the way through the vinyl the paper will hold it together for premask.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Yeah it makes sense. Personally, I would just cut it by hand. I have gotten pretty good at it over the years. If you aren't comfortable with hand cutting, there is knifeless tape that would be perfect for a job like this. Its real easy to use. lay the knife tape, lay the graphics, pull the tape and secure the edges.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We Gerber Edge print and cut the attached control panel labels on high performance clear vinyl (no lamination) for an equipment manufacturer. We supply them without transfer paper on the original release liner. The client then applies them using wetting solution and a soft squeegee. They are about 2.25" tall x 11" wide. They have no problem with stretching.

Here's a picture of the production file with the preview off. Black lines are vectors with cut only attributes. Red lines are with print only attributes.

attachment.php

Here's a picture with preview on:

attachment.php

Attachments

• control panel 1.jpg
    control panel 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 224
  • control panel 2.jpg
    control panel 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 209

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The proper way to do this is to effectively dismantle the entire front. I assume it's a door.

Remove the gray panel on the right, the window in front of the merchandise, and the delivery bin at the bottom.

Apply vinyl over the entire front. Just pretend the openings aren't there and cover the entire front of the machine.

Cut out the openings leaving enough to wrap the edges of each opening such that when the thing is reassembled all of the various pieces cover the vinyl. The object here is to let each opening define its exact location when the vinyl is applied and you merely remove the excess and finish the edges.

Reassemble the front of the machine.

That's the proper way to do it. Pre-cutting the openings is doomed to failure. Not only will you not get the locations exactly, you'll find the an inch on your plotter is not necessarily an inch on your vending machine and the vinyl will stretch a bit when you apply it. It will stretch a lot more with all of the openings cut out of it.

What is this 'scoring' you continually mention? When applied in this manner the vinyl over the openings will cut so easily with an Xacto knife that you'll think that you're cutting air.

petepaz

The proper way to do this is to effectively dismantle the entire front. I assume it's a door.

Remove the gray panel on the right, the window in front of the merchandise, and the delivery bin at the bottom.

Apply vinyl over the entire front. Just pretend the openings aren't there and cover the entire front of the machine.

Cut out the openings leaving enough to wrap the edges of each opening such that when the thing is reassembled all of the various pieces cover the vinyl. The object here is to let each opening define its exact location when the vinyl is applied and you merely remove the excess and finish the edges.

Reassemble the front of the machine.

That's the proper way to do it. Pre-cutting the openings is doomed to failure. Not only will you not get the locations exactly, you'll find the an inch on your plotter is not necessarily an inch on your vending machine and the vinyl will stretch a bit when you apply it. It will stretch a lot more with all of the openings cut out of it.

What is this 'scoring' you continually mention? When applied in this manner the vinyl over the openings will cut so easily with an Xacto knife that you'll think that you're cutting air.

this is the proper and best way to do it if you can take it apart and remove it but not as easy as it sounds. either way if you go over with one piece of vinyl and work it in to the area you have to cut you should be able to run a razor knife or xacto knife around the edge and get it pretty spot on. just go slow