Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

break thru banner for footbal

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by luggnut, Aug 20, 2010.

1. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

i've got a request for a run thru football banner.. you know the cheerleaders hold it up then the team runs thru it..

has anyone done one of these? and if so how? did you do it in 2 piece held by tape or velcro or in more pieces?

Tags:
  2. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    amteksigns.com they call 'em break away banners

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Fellers has it also

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Printed poster paper perforated with a perforating wheel.

Attached Files:

5. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

they want to be able to reuse it.

i checked out the amtek link... it says velcro. has anyone print there own and use velcro? it seems that it might hold too well and hurt one of the poor cheerleaders.

6. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You could apply magnates also, that would break easier then velcro

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Vinyl lettered - buy the blank from Fellers. They have strips of velcro on the back.

Digital - print the two halves, make sure you leave about 6" extra on one half so you can velcro the other half over it. The velcro is going to have to be sewn on, just using the advesive velcro won't hold up. If you just want to sub the whole thing out www.georgiaprintco.com can do them.

the velcro isn't a solid strip running up. There are 6" pieces with 12" between them.

One hint, on the back put arrows where the two halves join together. It's almost impossible to see the seam under stadium lights, the arrows give players something to aim at.

8. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    i hate those things....but i think my hatred is directly related to the fact that when i used a perf wheel, i then had to use the sock full of chalk dust with the pounce pattern i'd created and i HATE chalk dust...

9. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    +1 to Pat's method. That is what we do, and have done dozens of them. I only use three pieces of velcro, about 4" long each, on a 4'x8' banner.

10. tcorn1965

tcorn1965 Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2009
    We do them here, surprisingly popular. Here is how we do it.
    Reusable Two Part Break-Away Banners: We attach two banner halves together at the top, center, and bottom with sewn-in Velcro hook and loop fastener.

Reusable Four Part Break-Away Banners: We divide the banner size into 4 equal sections and attach them together at the top, center, and bottom of each section with sewn-in Velcro hook and loop fasteners.

Terry

11. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Break thru banners I see all the time on tv never go well. I would go the extra step and make a waver form that your customer signs. Just to protect yourself if anyone hurts themselves while running into your banner thats "supposed to break-away"

12. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    not an answer tothe banner question but an alternative to chalk dust...use graphite

13. K2

K2 Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Arkansas
    We just buy the break away banners from fellers and then just put vinyl letters on them, easiest solution we have come up with. Seemed to us it was worth the little bit extra money to just have them make it and not have to spend the time putting the velcro and stuff on it and if it didnt hold up or something I can go back to Fellers (or where ever) and make my case on why it didnt hold up.

14. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    hvelcro down the middle BAM your done!!

15. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Bringing this old thread back to life: Do you put pole pockets on the outer sides? How to the cheerleaders hold them? Just had an inquiry today about this :)

16. JMPrinting

JMPrinting Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I've done quite a few of these. They've all been digitally printed, I just overlap the prints by 1.5" and use 1" Velcro. Good quality Velcro that comes in rolls. I cut them in 4-5" strips and space them apart up the center. Works fine

17. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Sew on loops of webbing in the corners, maybe? Knowing how dumb teenagers can be sometimes, they'd probably hurt themselves if there was a pole!

18. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton

I need to make a break-a-way banner for a little league football team, can you give me some more DETAILS.

Overall size?

You say you use 1" Velcro strips 4-5" long, how far apart do you space them?

Do you sew the Velcro strips onto the banner?

Do you use pole pockets in the ends?

Do you digitally print our use cut vinyl?