• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

breaking bits?

cozmo

For some reason I am having trouble with bits breaking I am cutting 1/2 inch Alum. 5052 with belin bits I have a mister and have slowed down as for as 8 ipm and the bit seems to catch and break. Does anyone have any ideas? ps 15000 rpm.

cozmo

its an old shopbot router I bought It did not come with any training got to figure this out on my own help please! useing belin 33000 series single flute and coolmist mister

daveb

General Know-it-all
Still not enough info here. How much experience do you have? Have you ever routed 1/2'' alum before? What size and kind of bit? How many passes? We have no idea of your level of experience.:help

iSign

I didn't even think my multicam was a suitable tool for over 3/8" aluminum, so I wonder if you are just taking on too much.
If 1/8" per pass breaks 'em, did you try 1/16" yet? does it break on the first pass? Did you try a double flute?

Last edited:

cozmo

no I havent to both questions I have cut things before with no trouble I'm starting to think I have a collet problem going to order a new one. At 8 ipm 4 passes it is taking too long thats 4 letters per hour on the job I have now. would a 2 flute be better?

CES020

What bit are you using?

1/4" doesn't tell us anything. 1/4" downcut, upcut, 1 flute, 2 flute, etc. Who makes it, what's the model #?

Are you cutting aluminum with a router bit or an end mill? Router bits have a lot more clearance angle on them than end mills, made for cutting aluminum. If I were cutting 1/2" thick material, I'd probably not be using a router bit unless it was all I had. They will work, but an end mill will work better for that application.

It could certainly be a bad collet. Runout with a carbide tool, cutting into metal is a VERY bad thing. Carbide doesn't like to be shocked and uneven cutting loads on the tool caused by a cutter that's running out can break the tool almost the instant it hits the work.

Still need more info. How are you holding the work down? How rigid is the setup? Remember, it's a router, not a milling machine.

cozmo

sorry I dont have the info in front of me it is a single flute, up cut it is what the belin dealer told me I should use. I'll try to get some more info. And I thought somone was trying to be funny would'nt you need tap magic by the gallon I have been useing coolmist.

theskipman_98

I use a (refuse to say the name, rack and pinion, 7.5 hp spindle ) 5x10 router table. When cutting 1/4 aluminum I use a 3/16 up cut single flute bit ( hartlauer bit 63-700 series ). I use a 2 nozzle mister spraying oil/water mix in about a 40/60 mix. ( I use Rustlick WS-5050 part number 74016 ).
My speeds with my machine is 30 ipm, 18000 rpm spindle, 3 ipm Z-speed. With this set up I have to do 2 passes to prevent bit breakage, over heating, or ragged edge cut.
On my machinethis gives me a nice clean cut, a good chip load.
One other thing I do is pause the job at intervals, and check the heat on the bit. It should be cool to lukewarm to the touch. While running I will catch some of the chips coming off the bit, they should be very warm to almost hot. The idea being the chips are carrying the heat away from the bit.

Also the "hardness" of the aluminum comes into play. Don't know the hardness of ours, but it is fairly soft.

Hope this helps.

cozmo

I'm really thinking it is a collet problem I cranked it down scary tight ran it up to 18 ipm so far so good thanks everyone

CheapVehicleWrap

First, I would guess it's a cheap chinese collet and most likely cheap end mill. Not that those are your only problems. Second collets shouldn't be cranked down as hard as you can possibly go (and don't use a pipe extension). Third, as was said... it's not a milling machine.

theskipman_98

sounds like you have a collet may be damaged or worn out. Is the spindle nut worn on the inside?
Have you had a bit break up in the collet? Are you using a collet for metric bits on standard sized bits?

Last edited:

CES020

Also, is it a spindle or a router motor? Porter Cable routers used to be known for having some fairly serious runout. Not a problem with woodworking, but when cutting metal, with carbide, it can be something you can't overcome.

Techman

trying to be funny would'nt you need tap magic by the gallon

No,, it just takes a few drops every few inches. I have a small can and it has lasted through several jobs..

Misters are not always the answer. They are good. But mist is not always what is needed.