• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing back the NHB

randya

Seems a shame to lose something that brought harm to no one merely to assuage the delicate sensibilities of those who appear to possess only a dim comprehension of their own existence.

Every human being is responsible for its own condition. Catering to anyone who refuses to accept this responsibility is not doing anyone any favors. Neither the person receiving the special dispensation nor those having to forgo whatever it might be that the special person, or squad of persons, or whatever, finds distasteful. The latter lose because the former has a temper tantrum. A less than optimum state of affairs.

While I agree with this, bob.
This is exactly how the religious and political status quo maintain their power.

So exposing that ignorance, the 'harm' that is done is to those systems, and those power structures.

Ignorance is bliss definition

Not knowing something is often more comfortable than knowing it.
Note : This proverb resembles “What you don't know cannot hurt you.” It figures in a passage from “On a Distant Prospect of Eton College,” by the eighteenth-century English poet Thomas Gray: “Where ignorance is bliss, / ‘Tis folly to be wise.’”
The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

So remember bob,

“What you don't know cannot hurt you.”

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame, but I think it is an unnecessary evil that we really don't need here at s101, since for the most part, many here can't take responsibility for their own shortcomings.
Some could and did survive while others got lost and eaten up by the content.

I thought there was quite a bit of entertainment, but more than that..... I can't tell you how my eyes were opened up to certain things, which I'm not really sure I could've gotten elsewhere. I did hear and find out about many levels of many subjects, right here in the back room of s101. Many beliefs were explained to me by others which were honest enough to answer up, regardless of the outcome, because they knew they were among friends, while others just felt like that got beaten up for nothing. Name calling and insults are abundant everywhere these days, so why should s101 be any different ??

For those who could keep their composure, I applaud you and for those who couldn't take it.... well, it was a learning experience. Just about everyone in this thread had contributed in some form of nastiness over the short time it was here, but to hold it against people........ well, that's gonna continue in any venue. There are those whom help and contribute and those which take....... on a regular basis. What's in your wallet ??

Fatboy

no. I joined in the NHB section and think it was a good idea/bad idea all wrapped up in one. I like looking a views that are totally the opposite of mine as it is a way to grow but the NHB section wasn't like that for the most part. it got mean and nasty so there was little to learn and it felt more like a place to go to defend a point of view rather and talk about views. I don't miss it and commend Fred for keeping this site what it was intended to be and not letting it become something else.

Good Post Marlene

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So remember bob,

“What you don't know cannot hurt you.”

Tell that to the person that picked up that really pretty little banded snake with red bands next to yellow bands that didn't know would drop him in his tracks if it muckled onto him. Not any more far fetched that the idiot tourists taking home a bouquet of absolutely beautiful red fall foliage from the Santa Cruz mountains. Poison Oak. I used to watch the latter happen every year when I abided there. The former has happened as well.

What you don't know can damn well kill you. Or at least give you a world class rash.

randya

Tell that to the person that picked up that really pretty little banded snake with red bands next to yellow bands that didn't know would drop him in his tracks if it muckled onto him. Not any more far fetched that the idiot tourists taking home a bouquet of absolutely beautiful red fall foliage from the Santa Cruz mountains. Poison Oak. I used to watch the latter happen every year when I abided there. The former has happened as well.

What you don't know can damn well kill you. Or at least give you a world class rash.

Let's be honest bob,

The only way some can preserve their ideology is to protect it from scrutiny, knowing that would fail.

bob

Let's be honest bob,

The only way some can preserve their ideology is to protect it from scrutiny, knowing that would fail.

Too true. A philosophy professor from long long ago once said that 90% of what people believe to be true is not true and, of the 10% that they believe tor be true that is true, 90% of that they believe it to be true for the wrong reasons. Which is just another way to be wrong.

What he didn't explain is that people tend to get irritated when their particular nonsense is examined and instead of responding with cogent argument, as a civilized being might, they claim offense and demand that the offender be garotted or have its eyes plucked out or driven into the sea. That being the case one should never pass up an opportunity to pull one of these specimen's chains. It's vastly entertaining.

"It is the job of the press to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable." E. K. Hornbeck, Inherit The Wind

Joe Diaz

Too true. A philosophy professor from long long ago once said that 90% of what people believe to be true is not true and, of the 10% that they believe tor be true that is true, 90% of that they believe it to be true for the wrong reasons. Which is just another way to be wrong.

Yeah well... I think it was Abraham Lincoln who once said: "95% of all statistics are made up on the spot".

bob

Yeah well... I think it was Abraham Lincoln who once said: "95% of all statistics are made up on the spot".

Merely because something is sporting a percent [%] does not necessarily make it about statistics in the sense you use the word.

Rather this was a commentary on the generally miserable state of knowledge and cognition among practicing members of the human race. While the actual numbers may or may not have been accurate the proportions were pretty much right on the mark. It's been by experience over a long and checkered life that, if anything, he was far too optimistic.

The notion that "X% or all statistics are made up on the spot." has been attributed to lots of folk, including Steven Wright and Mark Twain. It's such an obvious and at the same time devious contradiction that it has no doubt been said, originally, by countless wits. And half-wits. Each adding their own number.

Joe Diaz

But back to your earlier point. If a person believes there is truth in the idea that the majority of things that people believe are untrue, then I wonder if that person considered the high likelihood that their theory was untrue, if what they believed were actually true? LOL You're right it is "vastly entertaining" to pull your chain.

Hence the reason for my early comment, to demonstrate a similar contradiction.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
But back to your earlier point. If a person believes there is truth in the idea that the majority of things that people believe are untrue, then I wonder if that person considered the high likelihood that their theory was untrue, if what they believed were actually true? LOL

Cogito Ergo Sum

bob

But back to your earlier point. If a person believes there is truth in the idea that the majority of things that people believe are untrue, then I wonder if that person considered the high likelihood that their theory was untrue, if what they believed were actually true? LOL You're right it is "vastly entertaining" to pull your chain.

You sir have inadvertently restated the central paradox of induction.

Be that as it may, knowing that something is not true can, most times, be far easier than knowing when something is true. Sort of a corollary to the notion that it's perfectly possible and reasonable to know what something is not without knowing what it is. For example I don't know what pi^3 is but I know it's not 17. Or an infinity of other values. In other words, you don't have to be right to know when someone else is wrong.

Just so you know, my chain has been disconnected for decades.