• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing back the NHB

shakey0818

Do you think the NHb section should be started again but without politica/religin?

yes
no
i dont care

*I am not really trying to bring it back to life.I am looking to see how people people feel now that it has been gone for awhile and if they would like to see it again.

shakey0818

Not sure how a poll is set up or even if it would be an appropriate one.Sorry Fred if i am messing things up.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yes, of course.

For all those who respond 'No':

Would you be deprived of some benefit currently being enjoyed?

Would your spine curve or hair grow in the palms of your hands if there were to exist a place where people were free to express an actual unabashed opinion?

Would you be harmed by this in any way?

Would you be forced to participate in some way or another?

Has any human being ever been harmed by words and/or ideas no matter how much you might disagree with them? That's actually harmed, experiencing something you might find distasteful or unpleasant that might offend your delicate sensibilities does not count a harm in the real world.

Or, as is more likely, you possess a not uncommon streak of puritanical zeal, especially when it comes to others possibly enjoying themselves?

Be honest, try to discard all of the inane rationalizations against having the NHB back; is it Yet Another manifestation of the unfortunate human tendency to want to control others?

Do you have anything resembling a sound and valid reason for stifling a free exchange of ideas?

Do you feel that there exists ideas and notions which should not be heard?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you think the NHb section should be started again but without politica/religin?

yes
no
i dont care

*I am not really trying to bring it back to life.I am looking to see how people people feel now that it has been gone for awhile and if they would like to see it again.

Your question is an oxymoron. Without politics and religion as acceptable topics, the only difference remaining would be the allowing of profanities and obscenities. Better than 90% of what was posted up to the point it was turned off was either political or religious.

On a practical level, a number of members had or were about to stop participating here because of the NHB forums ... some had a significant amount of useful information contributed and the potential for much more. In addition, there was a growing amount of inappropriate language finding its way into the open forums. When private message requests and warnings didn't stop it, this forced my reluctant decision to turn on the forum software's censorship features along with keyword monitoring for certain words that would not work correctly with the automated censoring. Since the forum censoring module is a global feature, that means that even the previously allowed open language would not work if the NHB were reactivated.

So what's left? What would you use the NHB for at this point?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes, of course.

Would your spine curve or hair grow in the palms of your hands if there were to exist a place where people were free to express an actual unabashed opinion?

Has any human being ever been harmed by words and/or ideas no matter how much you might disagree with them? That's actually harmed, experiencing something you might find distasteful or unpleasant that might offend your delicate sensibilities does not count a harm in the real world.

Or, as is more likely, you possess a not uncommon streak of puritanical zeal, especially when it comes to others possibly enjoying themselves?

Be honest, try to discard all of the inane rationalizations against having the NHB back; is it Yet Another manifestation of the unfortunate human tendency to want to control others?

Do you have anything resembling a sound and valid reason for stifling a free exchange of ideas?

The harm that was caused was the very real emotional hurt to some members on reading some posts. In addition, there was a measurable loss of participation by some highly valuable members. In my view as owner/manager, this meant a very real chance that Signs 101 traffic would decline along with the quality of the discussions related to actual sign making. So yes, not some but many members stood to see the benefit of a useful and relevant discussion forum based around the profession of sign making harmed.

shakey0818

Yes, of course.

Might just be the quote of the decade.Good job Bob.
:goodpost:

shakey0818

The harm that was caused was the very real emotional hurt to some members on reading some posts. In addition, there was a measurable loss of participation by some highly valuable members. In my view as owner/manager, this meant a very real chance that Signs 101 traffic would decline along with the quality of the discussions related to actual sign making. So yes, not some but many members stood to see the benefit of a useful and relevant discussion forum based around the profession of sign making harmed.

Well seeing it from your point of view Fred i have to agree totally.I am sorry i brought it up.This is a great place community and we don't want to scare off those that may become good contributing Members or even Merchant Members.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well seeing it from your point of view Fred i have to agree totally.I am sorry i brought it up.This is a great place community and we don't want to scare off those that may become good contributing Members or even Merchant Members.

Just to be clear ... members who contribute their knowledge and helpfulness is what I was referring to. That, to me, is the measure of any member's value to the Signs 101 community. It is the value of the content contributed by all members that results in level of activity and the success of Signs 101 as both a venue and in generating the traffic we enjoy. Merchant subscriptions, premium subscriptions and banner advertising simply follow that.

shakey0818

Just to be clear ... members who contribute their knowledge and helpfulness is what I was referring to. That, to me, is the measure of any member's value to the Signs 101 community. It is the value of the content contributed by all members that results in level of activity and the success of Signs 101 as both a venue and in generating the traffic we enjoy. Merchant subscriptions, premium subscriptions and banner advertising simply follow that.

I don't fit into any of those categories but i do see your point.Thats why this is such a great place you really surprise me with your experience with this and knowledge of what is for the Best interest of this forum.TY

Dave Drane

Well, I must admit I did enjoy the politics. It gave me a great insight as how differently things are performed in America compared to Australia concerning all your primaries etc...
I am still totally confused! lol

iSign

Might just be the quote of the decade.Good job Bob.
:goodpost:
sorry to sound like I'm picking on you shakey, but before bashing bob's narrow misguided idiotic diatribe (without the annoyance of actually quoting it) I'll start by challenging your comment... it's another typical bob-ism which satisfies some peoples need for staunch opinionated posturing, within themselves, or for vicarious satisfaction through the spueging from others... but NO, it's not even the quote of the day because of it's fatal flaw... or flaws actually...

The primary flaw that makes the majority of bobs post a redundant failure is that he is not really answering your question... well, sure he said "yes of course" and could have vastly improved his representation on this non-poll by s#!t canning the rest of his spiel...

The problem, or flaw with the rest is that it not only responds as if the NHB existed today and required his defense against it's being terminated... but drawing in "those who respond no" to his uncharacteristically skewed perspective, he proceeds to judge and berate others who actually may happen to simply be reading and responding to the actual question, instead of following bob's time traveling delusion into a knee jerk, past tense reaction.

To question someone having a "sound and valid reason for stifling" something, implies it is currently thriving, unrestrained... which is no longer the case...

...while there may be puritans, control freaks or the odd specimen suffering from bob's "delicate sensibilities" ...and these various miscreants may yet be running rampant upon the earth..

...to associate the opponents to this poll with such extreme ideology is a flawed concept because the topic at hand is no longer about "stifling a free exchange of ideas", any more then it's about "if there were to exist a place where people were free..."

THERE ARE PLENTY OF THOSE "PLACES"!!! ..the fact remains that this isn't one of them...

Pat Whatley

THERE ARE PLENTY OF THOSE "PLACES"!!! ..the fact remains that this isn't one of them...

Well said Doug.

I did notice while I was in the NHB that it looked like 95% of the "discussions" were the same 20 people screaming the same 20 arguments over and over complete with 10,000 links to articles that nobody ever ready, 5000 videos that nobody ever watched and 5000 quotes that nobody ever verified.

Seriously, in it's entire existence did anybody's political or religious beliefs get changed?

The NHB, in my opinion, had little to offer in making this a better place.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The harm that was caused was the very real emotional hurt to some members on reading some posts.

can't have that now can we...

a little too politically correct, over protecting....

i can buy the argument that it was too much work, but that it hurt people's feelings..... really? if you get your feeling hurt participating in a forum that YOU personally had to subscribe to to even see it, you have major issues....

punish everyone for the sake of the weak!