• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brutal critiques welcomed...

Pat Whatley

Be as brutal as you want. We're very, very early in the design process here and these are very rough drafts. The design is going to be limited to two colors because....well because that's what I want to do.

Stacey pointed out that the "s" on the first one has too much wave to it and I'm going to work on that tomorrow morning. Any other thoughts on where this is going before I sit down and start tweaking this?

If you have a need to know about the project I got suckered into helping plan a music festival for the little river town I live in. Instead of the usual rock and country cover band festival we're trying for more of a ragging jazz/blues ensemble. With any luck out main stage is going to be a barge in the Coosa River (provided the water is high enough in the shoals to get the barge up the river) The design also has to work in conjunction with the art guild competition, the barbecue cookoff, and the kidsfest, that's why there aren't any instruments and why the colors are brighter than you'd anticipate.

So, kick it in the twig and berries, be brutal, be honest. Trust me, I'm not gonna get defensive or annoyed at this point. I've got more time invested in writing this that in laying that sketch out.

blues.jpg

river_2.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I kinda like the bottom one. Those arms don't do anything, but I like them. I would maybe try raising the upper arm up a little more away from the lettering. I also like the 'R' on the top one better as it swooshes out a little further and gives a stronger appearance.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The distortion on the text works better on the bottom. Rising up on the right is more upbeat/friendly/ inviting...
Better flow

laserman70

Love the 2nd one. The font is great
Hate the oval behind it.
The bars have to go as well.
Im not a designer, just my .02

Tiki

Font Sage
Try a Ampersand maybe use the upper case (S)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 103

iSign

The distortion on the text works better on the bottom. Rising up on the right is more upbeat/friendly/ inviting...
Better flow

Love the 2nd one. The font is great
Hate the oval behind it.
The bars have to go as well.
Im not a designer, just my .02

rare with only 4 or 5 replies, that two of them are ripping off my thoughts, before i even got here...

but I like the lower one because the letters flow better to my liking as well, (although I'd have to call that dropping on the right, not rising... but whatever) BUT... that distorted oval ain't working for me either... put a circle behind that & that might just work...

also, I wondered if the flourish under "and" might be able to get three times larger & run under some of "River" if River moved up a bit

Jillbeans

Letterman wrote just what I was going to say. I hated that crooked oval.
And the "and" bugged me, whether it was the positioning or just that I've seen that same and a thousand times.
But then Tiki came along and posted something outstanding.
I'd try to work off of his idea.
Love.....Jill

SignManiac

I didn't know where to start on it Pat, but the bottom one was a better choice between the two. The rhythms were conflicting with the other elements. I just closed my eyes and pictured something different.

Maybe something along these lines is how I might approach it. This was thrown together fairly quick and could use some refining but it kind of meets your criteria.

Attachments

• River Blues.jpg
    River Blues.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88

Jillbeans

...and Wetumpka sounds like the perfect place for this thing.
What a funny name.
:)
I like Bob's starburst addition.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'm the odd one, but I kinda like the oval looking as if it's a 3/4 view.

The more traditional methods others are using look really good, too, but I like the uniqueness of the oval off-kilter appearance.

Maybe if you'd add some returns and make it actually look 3D, would give it some depth and the oval will be pleasing to everyone's taste.

Tim Kingston

My suggestion would be to incorporate as much brand messaging as possible.Suggestions: instead of using a regular circle or diamond background shape, why not use the body shape of a stand-up base? Instead of bars and ornate shapes, as shown , why not use the neck and head of an acoustic guitar? Or, better yet, a fiddle head. Which are in season and we love to eat around here. Not the wooden ones, but the fern ones ( which sounds just as bad, I suppose). :munchie: Anyways, you get the idea . . . Tim.

Ooops, just re-read your ENTIRE post, but I still think you could sneak in some subtle shapes, even use something from the other groups.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Regardless of decoration, the the main text on the bottom example. If you bend title copy, bend it up, not down. But do something with the 'and' on this version. It's in the wrong place and its bend seems to be discordant with the bend of the title text.

Pat Whatley

Bob, that's very unlike you. You have incomplete sentences, you started a sentence with a conjunction, and you actually made sense. I think someone may have hacked your account.