• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brutal critiques welcomed...

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
(although I'd have to call that dropping on the right, not rising... but whatever)

Bottom (layout) #2 is what I was referring to. Up to the right like the word River.

Attachments

• river_2.jpg
    river_2.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 101

rjpjr

I really like the font choice but think both lines of copy need to work togother a little more. Not sure about the ovals very much either.

I kinda liked where Tiki's was going.

Attachments

• River-and-Blues.jpg
    River-and-Blues.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Addie.... it appears you're trying to help, but you broke so many layout/design rules it ain't even funny. Rather than get into it here, why don't you start a thread where you can get the much needed help you need ??

Marlene

the font for River/Blues is nice. bob was on the right track about the setup of the copy. I would pull it apart and have each letter of "Blues" run up hill so there's a spot for the "and" under the Blues.

MikePro

is there any way to open-up the curl on the "R"? (much like the curl of the "B", but scaled)

Its giving me the "Hypno-Toad".
Hypnotoad_animated.gif

SignManiac

Thought I'd deviate from the original concept for another possible direction. Make it more of a logo style than a sign on a panel.

Attachments

• River and Blues.jpg
    River and Blues.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 77
  • River and Blues2.jpg
    River and Blues2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Round two:

Excellent except for...

The yellow ampersand overpowers the white main text. Perhaps it should be white or even a pale blue. Even if it were white it's one of the largest elements on the design. Dial it back a few notches.

Likewise the yellow ribbon. Everything else on this design has a curve or the illusion of a curve, the ribbon does not, it sits there like some kid in a high school drafting class drew it. Give it some curve and make it go behind the 'B' in blues and come out the left side a bit. Right now it looks as it it's metaphysically shooting out of the 'B'. Tone down the color a bit as well, the yellow is singing loud and it's off key.

Lastly, the institutional type face for the secondary copy is not humming the same tune as the rest of the design.

iSign

The little hook-ups look a bit too trite or something... especially having 2 of them... in my opinion...

Pat Whatley

The ribbon was flat because I like the contrast and it only extended on one side because it helped balance the weight of the piece better (see below). I'll play with that some more tomorrow.

I'm not sure I understand what Doug is saying.

Here's the other version I had....among it's other flaws the thought that it looked like a Branson, Missouri dinner theater logo just kept popping into my head.

riversdf2sd3.jpg

Billct2

I like it, even the hook-ups. The blue ampersand works better.
The yellow panel seems out of place...maybe a curved banner? different color?

iSign

R hooks to B, & hooks to e...

In both cases, going behind "Blues" and reappearing back out from behind would work better, showing depth, instead of dimensional ambiguity, and also helping prioritize copy on a subtle level... as this event is more about Blues, than River... so although Blues appears second, it could come forward slightly in my opinion, and this is one small way to help do that... PLUS, when the event goes viral, you can sub out all the routed dimensional signs to me! :smile:

...well okay, give Bob half, for agreeing with me! :wink:

iSign

The little hook-ups look a bit too trite or something... especially having 2 of them... in my opinion...

You're right... "hook-ups" is a bit of a vague slang, out of context... what I meant was:

The phuqking descenders... :omg: